Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

• Look n feel
    • Lay out
    • Navigation
    • Expectation of audience for such a website

Thanks in advance!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If you don't know what your audience is when you build a website, you really shouldn't be building it, since the audience will be the group of people for whom the purpose of the site is intended. Someone should say that right off the top. I'm not sure why you'd even ask that as a question.

Second...I don't know about anyone else, but it looks like all I'm looking at is the aggregation of other people's content with no real specific goal in mind (making people happy doesn't count, either...that's too vague).

It looks okay overall...just seems like a site that doesn't have a purpose, and until you define that and define it clearly, it's useless. Sorry, dude...someone needed to say it, though, and if you don't hear this now, you're going to hear it in about 6-8 months when the site doesn't do whatever it is that you want it to do for you.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    It looks okay overall...just seems like a site that doesn't have a purpose, and until you define that and define it clearly, it's useless. Sorry, dude...someone needed to say it, though, and if you don't hear this now, you're going to hear it in about 6-8 months when the site doesn't do whatever it is that you want it to do for you.
    This about sums it all up.

Member #
    Thank you both for the frank and constructive feedback. Very much appreciate it!

I do not want to be defensive in any sense, but I am not sure if I agree though. I mean, I do not find the mission of the site vague: making people happy (or brighten people up) with items that have a positive vibe to it. If you would say: the idea is not original, or you doubt whether making people happy like this is possible I would better understand it, but too vague, sound a bit,, euhm, too vague for me.

The question I raised 'Expectation of audience for such a website' was more in a sense of whether people would use and like it. I have a target group in mind, but the question would be more in general: do YOU think that a certain people or a large number of people would be using it?

Happy to receive any thoughts on the above.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    To answer that question, no. You've got sites like funnyordie.com, ebaumsworld.com, happyplace.com and probably a bunch of others that come to mind. That's what makes your purpose vague...it's not unique when compared to that of others in the "funny website" industry.

If you're going to come up with a take, do as someone like Matthew Inman does with The Oatmeal...even though his humor is generally targeted, it's his take on things and his observations...and quite frankly, they're friggin' hysterical sometimes and on point most of the time.

That's why I doubt your site would work...it's been done, it's been done on a large scale, in a big way, and with bigger celebrities and people involved (e.g. Steve Austin's been on funnyordie.com).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    OK concept, trying to make it simplistic so people don't get confused, but my first impression was "what is this site about?"... sure the logo and title should be an indication that it's a site to "make you happy", but since everyone's definition of Happy is different and it's impossible to gauge what makes people happy ( hence the buttons to provide you feedback ), your'e gonna have a tough road ( in my opinion), getting return visitors to participate or even return.

BUT

with the current generations mindset of sharing everything and GEO political changes most recently, and a vast majority of people using social media to share exactly this kind of stuff, you might have chance at mild success.

Personally, since I tend to not share anything or participate in the social media experience ( I do keep an eye on it ), I would never use this site or the share the concept.

From a personal standpoint... Visually Speaking, visuals do make people Happy, every time one of my kids post a picture of my grand kids on FB, I get a good feeling or smile... When I'm having a particularly stressful day or event, I do find myself opening my photos on my phone and scrolling through those images, so people do use visuals to possibly change their moods...

The "widgets" format... OK... but you might wanna spice them up a bit, come up with some sort of "Happiness Ranking" based on user responses and highlight that... with Happiness, people are generally intrigued with what makes others happy ( train wreck TV in reverse ), the happy counter is OK... but just not much there.

Now, i'm just wondering if your content is "original" or scrapped ? are you volunteers actually entering copy and images from other sites ? or are they just linking to it ? and your page pulls it in ?
    Original content is the only thing that is going to get a Search Engines Attention, if you're pulling from somewhere else, or copy/pasting content from somewhere else, Search Engines are going to ignore your site.

Instead of making users have to click and find out what the site is suppose to be about, you should take 1 or 2 of your widgets "above the fold", and rotate out snippets of info about the site, it's purpose, etc... so people don't have to guess what the site is about and or its purpose, perhaps a content slider that rotates out that info so users don't have to do anything and after 2-3 frame.. they know what the site is about ( without having to do anything )

Member #
    @Thegame1264 and @Webzarus

Thank you very much for this valuable feedback! Very much appreciated. Of course secretly I hoped for only thumbs up for the site , but your input gives me a good indication of how and what I should do to improve the site (next to considering the option to stop at all with this concept).

Thanks again!

Senior Member Web Outsourcing Gateway's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I'm not quite sure if the content could really bring happiness to the people... Hmmm, been browsing it, but unfortunately, I can't find funny memes that could make me laugh or feel happy...
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs. Visit and connect us now for your Web Development and Design requirements.

P.S. If my post/reply is informative, helpful, or in any way entertaining, could you at least click the "Like" link just below this signature? That would be the best way to say thanks. And don't worry, I probably already clicked the "Like" link of your post if it helped me in any way. Thanks.

Remove Ads