Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    123 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi everyone,

I've finally made my own Wordpress site! I had the concept for this site back in July, but it took a long time to learn everything I needed about design and I am only uploading it now. I am not finished yet, but it's to the point where it is presentable. I really would like some feedback from you all. Here are some notes:

Description
    The purpose of this site is to give visitors travel advice in Hawaii. What makes my site different from the many travel guides or Gohawaii.com (Hawaii's official tourism site)? Travel guides list everything that you can do, without much comment on whether they are worthwhile or not. My advice, on the otherhand, skips all the crappy sites and activities.

Audience
    My main goal is to attract a lot of first-time visitors to Hawaii that don't know anything about Hawaii. Also, I have a blog which is more flexible and I plan to answer common questions people have about Hawaii and other random stuff. You can think of my blog as "Ask a Hawaiian."

Responsive Design
    I used the Skeleton framework for this website. I added some modifications so that it has a flexible view, except for mobile sizes.

Benefit
    I really did spend a lot more time on this than I wanted. Not only did I do a lot of writing, but I also had to do a lot of reading, played around with Illustrator, played around with colors, had to learn the ins-and-outs of Wordpress themes (I'm a semi-pro now :P), and had to make sure that all my view sizes worked. In the end, this was great Wordpress training for me. It will also make a great addition to my portfolio. I feel like this is a valuable resource, so I plan to try to monetize this with affiliate links or offers and ad sense when traffic is high enough.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First and foremost, if you're going to use Adsense, don't wait until your "traffic is high enough" ("high enough" being a relative term). Do it now, since Adsense is one of those services that rewards those who grow their sites long term and steadily increase the quality of their traffic and content. You're also going to need time to figure out which ad units work for your site and which ones don't. Given that you're working on WordPress, this actually becomes a bit trickier since it's not really built for Adsense (yes, I know there are plugins for Adsense, but I mean that it's a lot harder to adjust where to place an ad than it is with a custom setup). So give yourself the time to learn it, and be prepared for Adsense to suck for at least the first year you run your site.

You'll also want to adjust your body font, especially if you use Adsense. Some fonts were intended for web usage...the one you're using is very difficult to read, jagged, and not one of them (I'm on Chrome / Windows 7). Arial would be your best bet here if you use Adsense; unfortunately, Google doesn't give you a lot of fonts to choose from.

Looks like an interesting site overall, though. You appear to have put a lot of thought into your content, you know your island (at least it appears that way), and you've got something that looks original. Those are the big things...the other stuff will take care of itself eventually.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    The Game,

Good tips with Adsense. I suppose there's a learning curve with them. I don't know anything about adsense, so I'm just following the tips I got from 2createawebsite.com

As for my font, yes, it's a bit off in Chrome/Windows 7 (I run this too). I liked it because it had round lines, which gives a friendly vibe. I haven't had any luck finding a Google font or font face embed that looks 100% smooth in Chrome. Might change my body back to sans-serif. Or maybe find a way to make it sans-serif for chrome browsers.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Nice Site man! I found myself 3 days in before I stopped reading! I like the colors and everything!, one suggestion, you could make the white in the logo change colors when hovered over
    Hey you! Go make something!

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Noteleklabs, post: 245570
    Nice Site man! I found myself 3 days in before I stopped reading! I like the colors and everything!, one suggestion, you could make the white in the logo change colors when hovered over
    I can't believe you read 3 days... "Day 1: Waikiki" is soooo long .

As for the logo... I'm actually not finished with it. I spent a good deal of time thinking of a logo, but never found one that I was happy with. I said to myself that my time would be better spent writing than on a logo. I am just using that logo for now, but I will make a REAL logo before I officially open this site, because I need to start branding myself and using the logo on my Facebook fan page, Twitter account, and maybe T-shirts in the future.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 245567
    The Game,

Good tips with Adsense. I suppose there's a learning curve with them. I don't know anything about adsense, so I'm just following the tips I got from 2createawebsite.com

As for my font, yes, it's a bit off in Chrome/Windows 7 (I run this too). I liked it because it had round lines, which gives a friendly vibe. I haven't had any luck finding a Google font or font face embed that looks 100% smooth in Chrome. Might change my body back to sans-serif. Or maybe find a way to make it sans-serif for chrome browsers.

-R
    Yeah, that Lisa girl actually has some good advice. On that one, though, I don't agree. I've also been doing an experiment with one of my sites whereby I've been adding new content. The new content tends to take time to get generating some revenue, which makes sense...new content attracts different visitors, with different preferences and interests which Adsense would have to "learn" to figure out which ads convert best for the site.

I have to say I only got to the first page, but were it not for the font issue I probably would have read further. I just couldn't take it any more. The Google fonts aren't the best for body copy...not bad for large type headers, but body copy is generally a mess.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Not bad, its very simple and that is good for most people. I like stuff a bit different but then everyone has different tastes. It looks like you have it well thought out and put together so that will be a bonus in your favor.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 245574
    Yeah, that Lisa girl actually has some good advice. On that one, though, I don't agree. I've also been doing an experiment with one of my sites whereby I've been adding new content. The new content tends to take time to get generating some revenue, which makes sense...new content attracts different visitors, with different preferences and interests which Adsense would have to "learn" to figure out which ads convert best for the site.

I have to say I only got to the first page, but were it not for the font issue I probably would have read further. I just couldn't take it any more. The Google fonts aren't the best for body copy...not bad for large type headers, but body copy is generally a mess.
    Funny that you're complaining about legibility. I actual tried my best to do it right by making line-height 2em and increasing font-sizes for 1280 screens. Is the font that much more difficult to read than what's on this forum? They look the same to me. Or is the paragraph spanning too much of the screen?

-R

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, the font size increase did the trick. It's not as jagged now. I can read it much more easily.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Now I miss Hawaii, thanks.... We lived in Waikiki by the Honolulu Zoo for a year. Anyways, great site, very informative and I like the responsiveness. At first I thought the content area was spread out across the screen to much on my screen but considering all of the content you cover that is fine. I would rather your content cover most of my screen than have to scroll down all day lol. Great job putting this all together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads