Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

As I'm a front-end developer not a web designer I feel that my current re-design lacks a certain structure.

Browsing through many sites under 'inspirational designs' I found a beautiful clear layout that I love.

My question is: when does using an inspirational design become stealing a design? - theres only so many time you can invent the wheel, nobody has copyright on a 100% width footer, logo top left, nav to the top right - its a safe standard. 2 column layouts with a main slide show at the top doesn't belong to anyone, its used all the time in different customisations.

But as I've seen a design layout I like, and essencially copied a lot of the main aspects I'd like to know how people feel about my design in regards to the design thats 'inspired' me.

I'm not going live with this new design until I get some feedback and thoughts from people.

Thanks guys,

your opinion is always highly valued

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'd say yours is different enough. There are so many sites taking this approach now that it's hard to say who's stealing from who.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks Game, I also found this page

got to 'five boxes' and thought wow, thats the layout I currently have, but I totally made it myself without any guides or inspiration.

which leads me to the same point, how many times can we re-design/re-invent the wheel, theres always going to be similarities with design and structures, even if you've made a layout completely by yourself chances are someones already done it.

Thanks for your input

Remove Ads