Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello everyone. This is my website and I am looking on ways to improve it. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently looking at ways to incorporate an image of myself and change the way my work is displayed (not much work yet as I am currently re-working my portfolio - it's being added slowly).

Thanks for your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I like your hover links and I think it looks nice and clean... just thinking its missing something like some images but you said you have that covered ;-)
    Rance90 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by twinky, post: 246685
    I like your hover links and I think it looks nice and clean... just thinking its missing something like some images but you said you have that covered ;-)
    Thank you! Yea the images are a problem, the ones I've tried just don't seem to go with the design, but will keep trying and post some examples when I can.
    twinky likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Rance,

Clean site. Don't like the zigzags too much. Distracting. Also, your portfolio is grossly lacking. Didn't do any websites while in school? It might be good idea to do a free website or two to start your portfolio. That's the by far the most important thing.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 246699
    Rance,

Clean site. Don't like the zigzags too much. Distracting. Also, your portfolio is grossly lacking. Didn't do any websites while in school? It might be good idea to do a free website or two to start your portfolio. That's the by far the most important thing.

-R
    Thanks, R.

Yea we did do some stuff at school, however we weren't marked on the aesthetic side, only for the programming/markup which I didn't really agree with but hey ho. It is coming along and portfolio pieces will be added when they've been brushed up.

Also noticed my "textarea" isn't rendering properly in Opera, any suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rance90, post: 246730
    Also noticed my "textarea" isn't rendering properly in Opera, any suggestions?
    Find out if the number of visitors using Opera are significant (My portfolio site gets 0.82% on average from Opera). If not, don't sweat it. If it looks good, but just not the way you intended, don't sweat it.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume it's going to be one of those.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hmm not a big fan of neglecting usability of other browsers. I've gone and made the effort to make the website fully compatible with IE and its lower versions so ideally I want it to be with Opera, too. It just shows good design practice, no?

The dimensions don't add up (even though I've got a basic reset) so it pushes the text area on a new line and it just doesn't look good.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rance90, post: 246737
    Hmm not a big fan of neglecting usability of other browsers. I've gone and made the effort to make the website fully compatible with IE and its lower versions so ideally I want it to be with Opera, too. It just shows good design practice, no?

The dimensions don't add up (even though I've got a basic reset) so it pushes the text area on a new line and it just doesn't look good.
    Not quite.

There are a boat load of browsers out there. You can't make your site compatible for them all. You have to make a cost v benefit decision in allocating your time. I remember when I first made my freelancing website 9 months ago. Looked fine, but wierd in IE5. Spent days making it compatible and setting up hacks to get fixed positioning. Totally not worth it, esp. when you realize that IE5 users expect websites to look awful already. Going through all these loops for a minority browser doesn't sound like the most important thing IMO.

Also, I think it's strange that you were only graded on coding. I didn't go to school for web anything, but I know from experience that the value of a website (to the client and to their visitors) leans heavily on aesthetics. Weird grading rubric. I suppose your courses were geared more towards back-end stuff.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rance90, post: 246737

Not quite.

There are a boat load of browsers out there. You can't make your site compatible for them all. You have to make a cost v benefit decision in allocating your time. I remember when I first made my freelancing website 9 months ago. Looked fine, but weird in IE5. Spent days making it compatible and setting up hacks to get fixed positioning. Totally not worth it, esp. when you realize that IE5 users expect websites to look awful already. Going through all these loops for a minority browser doesn't sound like the most important thing IMO.

Also, I think it's strange that you were only graded on coding. I didn't go to school for web anything, but I know from experience that the value of a website (to the client and to their visitors) leans heavily on aesthetics. Weird grading rubric. I suppose your courses were geared more towards back-end stuff.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    If you focus on IE, Firefox, and Chrome, you will cover 95% of the visitors to your site . Currently I have ~2.7% of my visitors coming from mostly Opera and Safari with a few oddball visitors on other browsers .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads