Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Every year, I build a new department website for the 'engineering technology department' at my school and enter it into website development competition.

This is my latest concept design, inspired by Windows (metro style), Google, and Udacity. I'm looking for constructive criticism (what do you like, what could be improved).

Please be specific and descriptive in your review. For instance, if you don't like the logo, tell me why, and how it could be improved.

Here are links to three pages I have designed:

Index
    http://mshsprojects.net/engineering-.../new_index.jpg

Course Page for one of our classes:
    http://mshsprojects.net/engineering-...nt/courses.jpg

News
    http://mshsprojects.net/engineering-department/news.jpg
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    It's clean, simple, and well-organized. You've got a great chance to be chosen.

The only thing that is missing would be a little more pizzazz. Your design would make a great framework for minimalist designs, because it's a very simple and neutral look overall. However, it doesn't have much else.

Still, I like it. So appropriate for academic use. And it's light years beyond what my own accounting college's website has (here)...

-R

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    They're JPGs. WHERE THE HELL ARE THE HTML TAGS IN A JPG?

I'm down with it overall, although I wouldn't use Helvetica as my primary body font. Most people don't know that, but it looks like a festering hunk of turd when it's used as a plain text font in Chrome with anti-aliasing disabled (which will happen in particular when people RDP or VPN into their desktops, although some people have it disabled by default). Use Arial, then Helvetica.

The only other thing I might change is the usage of orange. Orange is a tricky color to work with in that it doesn't contrast as well with white as most people think it does. There's a tool you can use to see what I'm talking about.

http://juicystudio.com/services/lumi...trastratio.php

You might want to go with green instead. It tends to work out better.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 247514
    The only other thing I might change is the usage of orange. Orange is a tricky color to work with in that it doesn't contrast as well with white as most people think it does....You might want to go with green instead. It tends to work out better.
    Because this is site is for a school department, I have to use school colors (blue, white, orange). I tried incorporating orange into the design as little as possible because of the contrast issues. I'll play around with the design a little more and see if I can find a better way to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 247497
    The only thing that is missing would be a little more pizzazz. Your design would make a great framework for minimalist designs, because it's a very simple and neutral look overall. However, it doesn't have much else.
    I agree that it's a little plain. I couldn't find a good way to spice it up a bit. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for the reviews.
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]Student Web Designer[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(0, 51, 102)]If you thought something I said was helpful. LIKE IT![/COLOR]

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's an engineering site for a tech department. The pictures of the Hyperthreaded Southbridge Shazbots and Delimited Winglesnorts will do that for you. I'd leave it as is.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads