Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi Everyone,

Please take a look at my 1st draft here and let me know what you think. My final draft will probably be submitted around March 5th with 2nd draft still to come.

There's A Lot of Filler
    My client didn't give me anything to work with (except for the names of the pages and the logo font), so this site has a lot of filler ("lorem ipsum...") and filler images. It also means that this was largely a creative exercise for me. No client input = artistic freedom for me.

The Research
    I've never done a newspaper website before, so I looked at a lot of different online newspapers for research. Noticed that newspaper websites are usually dull, have little padding, stuff A LOT of stories onto their front page, and have very small content columns (legibility is key). Some websites that I got ideas from are CNN, The New Zealand Herald, and Forbes. By the way, my goal is to make my website look better than our local newpaper's website: The Star Advertiser.

Based Off A Theme
    For disclosure sake, this site was built using the Wordpress engine and my design base was Branford Magazine Free. Although Branford is a theme, I used it as a framework. I liked the functionality of Branford showing posts on the front page. However, the theme's layout didn't make much sense and was a bit homely out of the box. Did major css changes and modified a lot of the php files.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Looks good. I think you reached your goal for sure. Looks way better then The Star Advertiser.

Try putting some padding around your search bar. It looks a little cramped to me.
    labforone/Ben likes this.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Senior Member Web Outsourcing Gateway's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I like your header image, it conveys deep emotions, but I'm not quite sure if it will suit Street Beat News, anyway, I think it's only just a filler image. I like the layout actually, compare to other news sites, it does not look so congested. Well, it has a blog-site appeal. And the banner ads look well on the right side. I like the overall appeal of your news site.
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs. Visit and connect us now for your Web Development and Design requirements.

P.S. If my post/reply is informative, helpful, or in any way entertaining, could you at least click the "Like" link just below this signature? That would be the best way to say thanks. And don't worry, I probably already clicked the "Like" link of your post if it helped me in any way. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Your description text under your images is a bit to dark. Try bringing it down a few shades and see what happens? Try to use #2A2A2A instead of just black.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Thanks for the comments. My client himself had very few things to say. The only thing I think he said was that he didn't like the header pic... because it was scratchy-looking. LOL, cause actually, it was a regular resolution pic, but I tried to make it look artistic . I guess I fail at art. Anyway, newspapers don't have decorations, so using a solid color or blank white will be fine.

Tip to everyone: making a newspaper website in Wordpress is so easy! All the work is in the layout, which Wordpress can provide naturally or with an addition of a couple plugins!

-R

Senior Member Web Outsourcing Gateway's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Really? your client did not like the image? Hmmm, I like it actually, if it's not edited, it could have been an entry to a black and white photojournalism contest, I guess.
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs. Visit and connect us now for your Web Development and Design requirements.

P.S. If my post/reply is informative, helpful, or in any way entertaining, could you at least click the "Like" link just below this signature? That would be the best way to say thanks. And don't worry, I probably already clicked the "Like" link of your post if it helped me in any way. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yeah I love the design. Looks good from where I'm sitting. Also a lot of content which is a good thing!
    Nathan Wilkins Web Design - www.nathanwilkins.com
    "I create Simple and Stylish Websites"
    'Like' facebook.com/NathanWilkinsWebDesign

Remove Ads