Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    181 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Well, I have been fairly bored recently so I decided to try and improve my portfolio website. Please rate it and leave any comments you have for me. I want replies about anything, both positive and negative. I know all my content is dummy content using lorem ipsum but all I really want is a review on the actual design including layout, color, code, functionality, etc.

Thanks!
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Andrew,

When I joined these forums about a year ago, one of the first sites I saw was yours. It looked pretty cool. And at that time, I was *blown* away by your slideshow (slides js?). 1 year later, your site looks pretty much the same. And there's no content. I'm actually pretty sure there was more content 1 year ago?

If you don't have content because you're still stuck on playing with layout ideas, try looking at other freelancer websites for ideas and inspiration. Before I came up with my current website design, I had probably 8 different one-page-design websites bookmarked. I also say this because the layout you're using is mostly for businesses that need to divide their content. As a freelancer, you might want something more compact.

You need to fill your site with content and pictures, otherwise, it just looks incomplete. And it's hard to give a full review without real content. Even future clients will probably look more at your content and portfolio rather than your layout, functionality, etc. When you're designing a site, your main focus should be designing it for your audience, your client, or your client's audience. Everything else is really not as significant.

Anyway, you look like you're in high school, so I think you're doing just fine for a young guy not freelancing for a living. Just make sure you keep an open mind, take critique and understand that you're here to improve.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 248020
    Andrew,

When I joined these forums about a year ago, one of the first sites I saw was yours. It looked pretty cool. And at that time, I was *blown* away by your slideshow (slides js?). 1 year later, your site looks pretty much the same. And there's no content. I'm actually pretty sure there was more content 1 year ago?.
    Your right I did have more content when I first posted a thread about it. Once upon a time I was designing another website for a friend. I decided to reuse some code from my portfolio site so I went ahead and used it. I was using notepad++ so it had the built in FTP so I did it that way. I forgot that I was still logged on my portfolio site and I uploaded a css file that overwrote my existing one which pretty much wiped out almost the entire time. It was kind of "disheartening" so I stopped working on it. This post is my first attempt at rebuilding what I had back then.

EDIT: I did change some things and added new stuff too. The biggest thing I did this time around was clean up my code.

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov, post: 248028
    ... I decided to reuse some code from my portfolio site so I went ahead and used it. I was using notepad++ so it had the built in FTP so I did it that way. I forgot that I was still logged on my portfolio site and I uploaded a css file that overwrote my existing one which pretty much wiped out almost the entire time. It was kind of "disheartening" so I stopped working on it. ...
    It's terrible when that happens - it happened to me in school (we were made to use Dreamweaver) and I lost a whole project just two days before it was due - panic!

This is one reason I don't use anything but Filezilla to do FTP - if automatic FTP is available (Dreamweaver, Notepad++, etc) I disable it. I always keep the original site on my HD or on a flash drive, and as I edit I make folders named by date - that way I can revert to a previous version if I want/need to. I know there is versioning software (Subversion) and services (GIT) out there - I may even get around to trying it someday, but for a one-person shop who doesn't have to coordinate version with other people, this method is easy and works for me.
    Andrew Yurlov likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    After that happened I always back everything up. I learned my lesson lol.

-Steve Jobs

Senior Member Web Outsourcing Gateway's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Sad to hear about your experience, but anyway, the layout of your website is neat and simple. And I also like your site's navigation, all the useful links can be found easily on the top page.
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs. Visit and connect us now for your Web Development and Design requirements.

P.S. If my post/reply is informative, helpful, or in any way entertaining, could you at least click the "Like" link just below this signature? That would be the best way to say thanks. And don't worry, I probably already clicked the "Like" link of your post if it helped me in any way. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Web Outsourcing Gateway, post: 248084
    Sad to hear about your experience, but anyway, the layout of your website is neat and simple. And I also like your site's navigation, all the useful links can be found easily on the top page.
    Thanks. Any comments on what I can improve on?

-Steve Jobs

Junior Member Jahaziel Echenique's Avatar
    Member #
    andrew? Quick question from a newb.. how did you design the layout?

I also think your website looks good. I don't see anything wrong with it

Senior Member Web Outsourcing Gateway's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    The design in "About, services, portfolio and contact" pages are broken. The footer menu is aligned on the left side. As for the improvement, maybe you could add a blog on your site
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs. Visit and connect us now for your Web Development and Design requirements.

P.S. If my post/reply is informative, helpful, or in any way entertaining, could you at least click the "Like" link just below this signature? That would be the best way to say thanks. And don't worry, I probably already clicked the "Like" link of your post if it helped me in any way. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Web Outsourcing Gateway, post: 248155
    The design in "About, services, portfolio and contact" pages are broken. The footer menu is aligned on the left side. As for the improvement, maybe you could add a blog on your site
    Yea I realized that when I was looking over it today. I was primarily designing the index page an I changed around some of the html and didn't realize what I did lol.

-Steve Jobs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads