Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    H4L
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi all

I welcome this opportunity to get some feedback from the forum members on our new hosting site. I'd specifically like information with respect to:

1. How well you feel the concept is explained;
    2. Whether you feel any information is missing or hard to find; and
    3. whether the design and layout could be better from a sales perspective.

Thanks so much for taking the time. I'd also like to make some new friends in the forums, so feel free to contact me admin@hostedforlife.com or through the forum if that is more appropriate.

Cheers
    H4L

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Design and layout is fine

Message is fine

Old concept though... Most of those hosting 4 life offer companies have gone bust.

About 10 years ago, I signed up for 1 @ $99 ... I figured, worst case, I'd put some testing stuff on it and use it as a testing server.

After about 6 months, FTP service got flaky, was hit or miss, would time out in the middle of uploads. Shortly thereafter, web hosting became abysmal.

Customer support was great at asking questions BEFORE the sale, pretty much non-existent after the sale. Would take days if not weeks to get an answer, if I got an answer at all.

Started seeing tons of comments about this company on forums, within about 2 years, the servers got so bad, they were actually down more than up. Last time I checked, they were non responsive and I wiped my hands of them.

Sure, you'll probably get some that think its a great deal, but in all honesty, in the hosting industry, if you're not bring in a revenue stream, you have no incentive to update / upgrade / replace servers... Upgrade bandwidth capacity to keep response times low...

Seriously, who wants a server where their avg. response time is 100ms when the industry avg is 15-20. Forget about trying to run a business website on servers that sluggish. People get tired of waiting and hit their back buttons. Back when I signed up for the 99 deal, I was paying roughly that for a years hosting on a high end server. Today, for what you're offering I can do 3 years on a decent server, or 2 years on a reseller program that actually makes me money.

H4L
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi

Thanks for that, but I can see that your view is coloured hugely (and understandably) by your past experience. Our difference is there in the FAQ, however maybe you've actually made the point that it's more obscure than it should be. I will look into that.

The difference that you are not taking into account here is that we own and operate a very successful hosting company, and are only filling these accounts into our downtime and spare capacity to a measured extent. Money that is generated [Edit: link drop removed. AlphaMare] is used for acquisitions of further on-going hosting revenues. Nearly 20 years of hosting has taught us what we can do and what we can't.

If you spend the money that comes in from a one-off payment, you're doomed. And of course as you've alluded to, that is what most of these types of startups do.

Us... we don't do that. It goes into acquiring more regular hosting customers, who pay on an on-going basis, so there isn't the drop in service or facilities that you're mentioning. We have been around a long time and have the staff and facilities to make this a viable part (and only a part) of our overall strategy.

It's tricky moving into a market where short-sighted companies have tried to make their mark, backed up by insufficient resources. We don't have insufficient resources; quite the reverse; as we add them in the course of our acquisitions, we sell off a certain number of H4L accounts that act as funding for future acquisitions as well. It's all done to a precise formula.

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate them, and I hope my post helps clear up any misunderstandings.

Cheers
    H4L

H4L
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi again

Whoops I missed the bit about the reseller program at the end. We offer a $50 commission for people who refer customers to the [Edit: link drop removed. AlphaMare] hostedforlife accounts.

I've been told (and can see) that HG and others offer a lot more if you refer many each month, but the reality of it is that not many designers or affiliates refer more than 1-3 each month anyway. In that case our affiliate commissions are right up with the best.

I really appreciate what you're saying and want to let you know that:

1. We have not, and will not allow the drop in quality of facilities that you're speaking of. That does nobody any good and we have regular income that far encompasses our [Edit: link drop removed. AlphaMare] revenues; and
    2. We're keen to work with designers and other potential affiliates for the longer term.

I sold my first hosting company for a large sum of money a few years back, then promptly lost a whack of it in the big sharemarket drop. I've learned a lot of lessons and I know what works in my industry and what I should stay away from. I know from many years experience what the churn rates are, and the [Edit: link drop removed. AlphaMare] hostedforlife ratios are designed to take this and other factors into account in designing the strategies of this business.

Thanks so much again for your comments.

Cheers
    H4L

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    No misunderstanding , and not colored by past experience. I knew it was a gamble when I signed up... Just didn't know I'd lose my bet so soon.

So you keep saying that you're another hosting company, and you e been doing this for 20 years.

Are there limitations on the h4L accounts that would encourage people that have paid for lifetime hosting to move to a pay as you go plan ? Otherwise, what you're saying doesn't make sense.

The impression that youre giving with the offering is that its a full service account, everything is included, with a gig of space. So why would someone want to / need to move to a paid option ?

All the rest is what I would expect to hear from someone offering hosting.

I know you probably don't want to give out your secrets to success, or how you acquire other hosting avenues, but the simple fact of "pay $xxx " one time and get hosting for as long as you want... Doesn't inspire me from a business perspective, it actually has a negative connotation and anyone in business understands that if they don't see a recurring revenue stream, and growing, that things don't tend to work out.

Kinda like the "lifetime" razor blade... You can only sell so many, then no one needs them anymore... Unless of course the definiton of lifetime is not my definiton of lifetime.

Just pointing out the obvious

Good luck

H4L
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi there

Thanks again for your comments.

No, we do not offer an incentive or need for anyone to change to a regularly paid hosting account. As you rightly suggest, that would defeat the object of having this type of account. It is full featured and fully supported, just like our "normal" recurring accounts

It's just another option for people. There are those who like to pay for an item each month, and there are others who want simply to make one payment and have it done with. Having the one-time payment option makes both alternatives available to our prospective customers. On average, after 2 to 3 years, this account costs less than a regular account, plus in some countries it gives the benefit of an immediate tax deduction, useful to some, less so to others.

To more clearly define the difference between the "here today, gone tomorrow" lifetime plan types and our own operations, we DO have recurring revenue streams. We are not dependent on this income; it supplements our recurring revenues, and provides us investment capital to acquire other small hosting operations. In that way we convert the one-time payments into recurring payments, albeit at a reduced rate. We do it to a specific ratio, so as not to overburden resources.

I just wanted to clear that up, because just as you've said, it's an obvious question that people may be wondering about. No-one wants to purchase something for a long term and have it cut short.

I'd be happy to open a separate thread to discuss the above or answer any further questions, but in this thread it's supposed to be about rating the site using the thread rating system I guess. It would be great to have some ratings start to appear so I can get some gauge on whether y'all think we're hitting the spot design and layout wise.

We took on a designer to create , instead of the same old template route that we took with and our sub-sites. I think he's done an awesome job, but I'd like to garner other opinions.

Thanks very much.
    H4L

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Looks awesome

I really like the clean, simple yet highly sophisticated and elegant look

Overall looks really professional

H4L
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Fahim

Thanks very much for commenting. Did you find the site communicated information easily enough? Or did you struggle to get a hold of the concept?

Thanks again
    H4L

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by H4L, post: 248406
    Hi Fahim

Thanks very much for commenting. Did you find the site communicated information easily enough? Or did you struggle to get a hold of the concept?

Thanks again
    H4L
    The site is easy on the eyes and I knew what the website was about as soon as I landed.

One thing you could improve though is the footer. I think it would look better if there were 3 columns instead of 2 - looks a bit odd with that empty space

H4L
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi

Great thanks. I will take a look.

Cheers
    H4L.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads