Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi guys,

Here again!

This really is my final redesign of my personal portfolio website. Its inspired by 2 different website i've seen, but the work is completely my own, it was a merged visual inspiration.

Feel free to feed back on the design, I alway appreciate it.

Its live so in pretty good working order, I'm just building the specific web services pages, and I know I need to resize the portfolio images, but apart from that rip away.

Thanks guys

NEIL (i missed the L in my account name)

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    For a designers portfolio site there is ALWAYS a redesign sooner or later

I like the design in general I just don't like your choice of fonts. Your navigation and main content text is too squished together (rather the font is)
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Senior Member Web Outsourcing Gateway's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I think you should have another page for your latest news. And I'm not quite sure if it should be on the contact us page. I agree with Andrew, I don't like your fonts too, it's so hard to read. But your website has a nice design.
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs. Visit and connect us now for your Web Development and Design requirements.

P.S. If my post/reply is informative, helpful, or in any way entertaining, could you at least click the "Like" link just below this signature? That would be the best way to say thanks. And don't worry, I probably already clicked the "Like" link of your post if it helped me in any way. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I have been concerned with those elements myself.

font wise how about his --Droid Serif & Droid Sans combination.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    maybe make the right column a bit thinner and the text all a bit smaller than the main text.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    It's a good looking website for your portfolio, your tag line is a little strong for my liking, but that's my only criticism

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Yea that Right column text should either be much bigger or smaller. Otherwise it just looks like part of the content.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks guys, all your feedback has been taken in, and I've made the amendments to the live site..

Ive added some elements some of the portfolio pages - riverford for example...

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Any more rippin guys? - I've added some icons and developed some of the portfolio items, feed back always appreciated...!

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    Hi Neil,

So I shall try to give you an in depth review ( only because I'm from Devon too :P ) on the site. I shall also bullet point them for you to make them easier.

Initial view when the site when loads.
    • I like your logo but try making Neil in Standard font weight and Cawse in bold, might bring the logo out more.
    • Your nav menu, personally needs to have a home link as well (older users who browse, might not know that clicking your logo will bring them back to the homepage) Also its too spaced out, you also need an active color for the page your on say a blue or yellow or something. I clicked about and thought I was still on the homepage, if that makes sense.
    • You need to look at working within a 960 grid style system, your nav is currently sitting just out of your layout, which could cause issues on smaller browers.
    • I like the header area with the contrasting blue to light blue motiv, change your header fonts though (dafont.com usually has some great fonts for free.) then use @fontsquirrel to be able to merge the fonts to your page.
    • Initially the homepage is a bit too static. Add some JScript to liven it up abit

HomePage:

• You need to work on your whitespacing quite a bit, your layout from the index page looks a bit too cluttered and all over the place.
    • Your slideshow (Not sure if its meant to be a slideshow) needs tweaking. The "welcome to my website..." text needs to be larger. and have a call to action button for the Contact Me.
    • The five images you have are good, but make it a lightbox instead (sometimes people don't want to go straight to the page in question but a lightbox will just show them the design)
    • Again work on the header fonts, it looks a bit odd.
    • iMac images are fine
    • Latest news needs a colored background around it, this does 2 things, 1: spaces the site up a bit more and 2: adding some useful functionality to the site, drawing the users attention to it.
    • The smaller box fonts need to be a smaller size, header needs to be a little bit smaller than the h1 at the top. I like the images you have next to each header.
    • Social Links personally I think should be either closer to the footer or close to the top of the page, at the moment they look out of place, and you have loads of useful whitespace below them which draws the users eye for no reason.
    • Testimonials are fine, but maybe make the text smaller with a read more button to link to a page of testimonials?
    • Footer needs work - Copyright info to the left, powered by to the right, leave the middle area clear?

About:

• Images are fine, like them, maybe box-shadow to help them bring out a bit?
    • Latest News isn't needed here
    • Testimonials isnt needed here
    • I can't suggest what to put in the right column i'm afraid..
    • About me header font needs changing maybe make the paragraph text italic as well?
    • My Work & The Future headers, a bit smaller paragraphs smaller still, they are not as important as your about me section.
    • Social Links need moving again.

Porfolio:

• Looks good, maybe make the picture pop a bit when you hover over the image?
    • Clicking the image i like the layout there, awesome stuff..
    • Maybe add a link to their actual site or make the image active to their site? Just will help clients trust you more.

Services:

• Fine, create more content for the right bar or make it a 50/50 2 column layout,
    • Typos, [SIZE=18px]E-commerse to E-commerce and [/SIZE][SIZE=18px]optimization to optimisation(were not american :P)[/SIZE]
    • maybe add some other colors to the site to add more attracting sections. Its a bit brick wall of words at the moment.

FAQ:

• Again same as above

Testimonials:

• Paragraph text is a bit big, header text is not good and looks basic, also I suggest either adding a link back to your portfolio for their site or a direct link to their site. Helps viewability.
    • Add something else for the right column.

• The form is a bit too big, it can be compressed to make it more streamlined.
    • Make the send button larger
    • Add a spam block, eg "Tick this box to make sure you are human"
    • Gmap of your location is good.
    • Other methods are good
    • I like the "why you should contact me, but maybe put it above the contact form.

Backend stuff: CODING:

• Your code is not structured correctly, its a bit all over the place in some sections, (too many tabs or not enough) - However I do know Joomla can cause issues like this, Although your not using joomla for your portfolio build.
    • Dont use style in a div or class, it will complicate things when you come to repair an issue (only keep it there temporary but move it to a class="" or id="" section of your CSS.
    • Also if you can, notarize sections - EG <!-- top header section --> <!-- main body section --> and add these to your css too, helps you with debugging when needed.

Final Thoughts:
    All in all I like the site its nice and clean, although the layout could do with tweaking a bit. One bit issue for me is that its not responsive (ie does not work for other devices except ipad. Have a look at Skeleton and build it responsive. You will love it when you get to know it. I do know Joomla 3.0 uses Bootstrap from Twitter, but I've found it a bit buggy for static non cms'd builds.
    Good work, I'm gonna follow you! Look forward to seeing more from you in the future
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads