Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    8
    Member #
    35572
    Liked
    1 times

    Current Rating

    Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

    Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

    Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

    Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

    Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

    Rate This Site


    Advertisement (login to hide this!)


    You must be logged in to view this site

    Hi,
    I am a web design novice, building a website in my spare time relating to the antique and retro scene in my locality, using wordpress. Any advice on ways to improve the site appreciated.
    Regards Gerald.

  2.  

  3. #2
    Senior Member Webzarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Carolina Coast
    Posts
    3,322
    Member #
    27709
    Liked
    770 times
    Putting commas and keywords in your title blatantly will make google drop you.

    Your title for each page should be unique to the page and yes have a keyword or two in it, but you don't just blatantly put a bunch of keywords in the title.

    Since I'm on an iPhone, I see very little ... But they layout is good for what I could see.

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    8
    Member #
    35572
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you for looking.
    Are you referring to the titles on my blog page, or elsewhere on the site?

  5. #4
    Senior Member Webzarus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Carolina Coast
    Posts
    3,322
    Member #
    27709
    Liked
    770 times
    I only saw the one page that opened from the link... The mobile nav is minimal

    But the keywords in the title jumped out at me.

    Oh, forgot to mention.

    The ad for hosting is kinda cheesy, will turn some people off, if you're not making anything off of it, I'd drop it. Borders on spammy based on some search engine guidelines.

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    8
    Member #
    35572
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 248815
    I only saw the one page that opened from the link... The mobile nav is minimal

    But the keywords in the title jumped out at me.

    Oh, forgot to mention.

    The ad for hosting is kinda cheesy, will turn some people off, if you're not making anything off of it, I'd drop it. Borders on spammy based on some search engine guidelines.
    Thanks for the input. Changed the heading and dropped the ad. Any better?

  7. #6
    Senior Member RDesignista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Coconut Tree City
    Posts
    822
    Member #
    30921
    Liked
    123 times
    I think it's okay. You obviously have spent a lot of time filling in content. Here are some things I think could be improved:

    1. Image on the front need to be more professionally taken. Your antiques/furniture in the pictures are all stacked, bunch and grouped up. It looks messy and it makes me think I'm looking at the furniture section at the Salvation army. I know it's a pain to take another picture and upload it, but that alone would make your front page 1000x more impressive at first glance.

    2. There is an awkward empty space on the right side of pages. My guess is that it's a designated sidebar space but you don't have a sidebar. I'm pretty sure you can change your template to full-width to get rid of this space.

  8. #7
    Senior Member Ronald Roe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    3,141
    Member #
    27197
    Liked
    959 times
    It looks pretty much like any other implementation of the Canvas theme.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    8
    Member #
    35572
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista, post: 248819
    I think it's okay. You obviously have spent a lot of time filling in content. Here are some things I think could be improved:

    1. Image on the front need to be more professionally taken. Your antiques/furniture in the pictures are all stacked, bunch and grouped up. It looks messy and it makes me think I'm looking at the furniture section at the Salvation army. I know it's a pain to take another picture and upload it, but that alone would make your front page 1000x more impressive at first glance.

    2. There is an awkward empty space on the right side of pages. My guess is that it's a designated sidebar space but you don't have a sidebar. I'm pretty sure you can change your template to full-width to get rid of this space.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment.

    1. All the pictures on the site have been taken in or outside the premises listed within the site, those on the front page have been gleaned from these listings. On most occasions I can't rearrange the furniture, but have to take shots as the items stand in the shops and centres, hence the bunched up appearance. I take your point though and will try to get a few staged photos to put on the front page.

    2. The space on the right is for ads, I have put some in now.

    Regards Gerald.

  10. #9
    Member nufftalon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    77
    Member #
    34119
    Liked
    4 times
    I would change
    [SIZE=20px]The main aim of this site is to provide useful information about the antique and retro scene in the north of England.[/SIZE]


    to
    This site provides useful information about the antique and retro scene in the North of England.

    You could give the input fields on the contact page a light gray background to separate it from the white background outside of the form.

    The furniture photos should be taken in an empty room with nothing to distract the viewer from what they are supposed to see.

    The only other thing is when you click on a thumbnail photo on the index page it just takes you to another page with yet another thumbnail. It needs to be fixed.
    Gerald Thomas likes this.

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    8
    Member #
    35572
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nufftalon, post: 249051
    I would change
    [SIZE=20px]The main aim of this site is to provide useful information about the antique and retro scene in the north of England.[/SIZE]

    to
    This site provides useful information about the antique and retro scene in the North of England.

    You could give the input fields on the contact page a light gray background to separate it from the white background outside of the form.

    The furniture photos should be taken in an empty room with nothing to distract the viewer from what they are supposed to see.

    The only other thing is when you click on a thumbnail photo on the index page it just takes you to another page with yet another thumbnail. It needs to be fixed.
    Thanks for the input.
    I've changed the heading.

    I can't see any way to change the background on the input fields. (I'm using the canvas theme).

    I can't take most of the photos as you suggest, as most are taken on the fly in other peoples premises, but I am looking to stage a few myself and put those on.

    I'm also trying to find a different way for displaying the photos, without success so far though. :banghead:
    Thanks again,
    regards Gerald.


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com