Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.7 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.3 out of 5

Compatibility:
    2.3 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is my first live properly designed site for a 'client'. (Made it for the cost of the hosting/domain for my brother.) He's pretty thrilled with what he has seen so far! I uploaded it to the server to test it first, get some feedback. I would appreciate any general feedback on it! I have opened it in the latest versions of firefox, chrome, opera, and safari, and it seems to work fine. Opened it in ie6 and it was terrible, but I figured I wouldn't really have to worry about ie6 (right?).
    If something is broken on ie, I am going to need help fixing it!!! I can't seem to get any more recent versions of ie on my mac.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 249026
    How do you evaluate a website without reading the content?

If the client is happy, you've done your job. If you can guide the client to a more modern look and layout, well and good, but the site is functional and informative.
    My only caveat would be to use a form rather than a popup for the e-mail contact. Many people browse with pop-up blockers turned on, and with the e-mail address coded in like that you will be getting spam as the bots go through and find it. There is a very good, simple-to-use form at form2mail, and it comes with very clear directions on how to set it up on your site.
    I cleaned up the logo and it definitely looks SO MUCH BETTER. I did end up putting the logo to the left and I did add "dog grooming salon" to it so it's absolutely clear. I don't know how I botched the text for the logo so badly the first time. It's much cleaner, clearer, and spaced better.
    I'm dying about what colors to make the nav bar... I don't think it looks good with the blues or red that are in the logo. Is black a bad idea? The background is the same blue as the logo now. I'm not sure how I feel about that. (I think I like black for the nav, w/ red hover.)
    The email - I should just learn how to do a form myself and make a page for it. If I just add spaces to the email, will that deter spam bots? I want it written out so that if they would like to just go to gmail and type it in they know what it is.

It's definitely looking better, so thank you everyone.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 249026
    How do you evaluate a website without reading the content?

If the client is happy, you've done your job. If you can guide the client to a more modern look and layout, well and good, but the site is functional and informative.
    My only caveat would be to use a form rather than a popup for the e-mail contact. Many people browse with pop-up blockers turned on, and with the e-mail address coded in like that you will be getting spam as the bots go through and find it. There is a very good, simple-to-use form at form2mail, and it comes with very clear directions on how to set it up on your site.
    Trying the form2mail. It doesn't seem to be working though. I have the email set to mine to test it, the html is pointing to the proper php file. The html and php are both uploaded to the same folder. I'm not getting any emails though. Does it take a while or should it be instant? Did I miss a step?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Nevermind AM... I had fixed filenams but didn't hit refresh on the page. It's working! Thank you!!!
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamalloy, post: 249032
    Nevermind AM... I had fixed filenams but didn't hit refresh on the page. It's working! Thank you!!!
    Glad to hear it!
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I like the bubble effect you did at the bottom. The size of the site seems small to me. For the portfolio I would of personally used a photo gallery that has thumbnails. Umm Use our form to Email us:

HMM well you should just make a form that asks for basic info and emails the owner. Putting his raw email on there will give him spam central. More styles different color texts for better separation bullet list, etc. For a first site it is good though and it functions properly.

I use this to make forms sometimes. phpfmg dot sourceforge dot net/

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I grabbed the first photo album thing I found. I am thinking I will look for something else though. Thumbnails is a good idea! I had already talked to the owner about having the before/after in the same photo, but the other side of that is having the larger picture is good.

If I add spaces or something to the email, would that stop the spam?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamalloy, post: 249032
    The point of using a form, is so that the e-mail address is not spelled out anywhere on the page, so the spambots can't find it.
    I suggest you take the e-mail off, and incorporate the form into your contact page, rather than having it on a separate page.
    This is what it could look like.
    If you want the code for that I'll be glad to send it to you, I added a div for the form, and changed the CSS for the #container #main #text so the height is 100% instead of a pixel value.
    Alamalloy likes this.

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    AM - took your advise, form is on the contact page.

Also got a new album/photo viewer up.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Ahh much better. Good job.
    Alamalloy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamalloy, post: 249075
    AM - took your advise, form is on the contact page.

Also got a new album/photo viewer up.
    Looks much better - and they won't be inundated with spam! Good work!
    Alamalloy likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads