Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.7 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.3 out of 5

Compatibility:
    2.3 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    1.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

This is my first live properly designed site for a 'client'. (Made it for the cost of the hosting/domain for my brother.) He's pretty thrilled with what he has seen so far! I uploaded it to the server to test it first, get some feedback. I would appreciate any general feedback on it! I have opened it in the latest versions of firefox, chrome, opera, and safari, and it seems to work fine. Opened it in ie6 and it was terrible, but I figured I wouldn't really have to worry about ie6 (right?).
    If something is broken on ie, I am going to need help fixing it!!! I can't seem to get any more recent versions of ie on my mac.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, it's not going to win any design awards, but it does exactly what it is supposed to do and that's what counts. Looks fine in the latest IE too.
    Alamalloy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Thank you! Glad to know it works in ie! And yes, not going for an award! =) A simple clean site for a business is better than no site at all! It's more than he expected from me and he loves it.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I agree, the design is lacking a lot of creativity.

The whole point is to keep the customer on the site and I'm not sure if this will be the case. Some sites can be simple with little design but still look and feel fantastic.

Its getting that balance!

Im sure you will achieve this in the future!

Max Wright

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Like everyone said it works fine but doesn't look like anything special. There are some problems i'm seeing with the design aspect of it. When designing a website you should keep CRAP in mind.

CRAP stands for
    • Contrast
    • Repetition
    • Alignment
    • Proximity

Contrast -The idea behind contrast is to avoid elements on the page that are merely similar. If the elements (type, color, size, line thickness, shape, space, etc.) are not the same, then make them very different. Contrast is often the most important visual attraction on a pageóitís what makes a reader look at the page in the first place.
    Repetition - Repeat visual elements of the design throughout the piece. You can repeat colors, shapes, textures, spatial relationships, line thicknesses, fonts, sizes, graphic concepts, etc. This develops the organization and strengthens the unity.
    Alignment - Nothing should be placed on the page arbitrarily. Every element should have some visual connection with another element on the page. This creates a clean, sophisticated, fresh look.
    Proximity - Items relating to each other should be grouped close together. When several items are in close proximity to each other, they become one visual unit rather than several separate units.This helps organize information, reduces clutter, and gives the reader a clear structure

Here are some examples of problems I see with your design.
    • Your logo colors don't really fit with the rest of the website. Try some lighter shades.
    • The picture of the dog that is part of your logo would got better on the left side with the text of the logo left aligned to the picture
    • Your font isn't very good looking and it is a little too close together
    • When you hover on your navigation it turns it a darker shade of blue while the text remains black. This is not good for contrast because both blue and black are considered as dark colors.
    • On your contact page virtually all the content is center aligned. Try to avoid using center align because it tends to get overused a lot and it really dons't fit in with your site very well.

Never use "true colors". Use a lighter shade of a "true color". So, for example instead of using #FFFFFF use a shade of it like #F2F2F2.
    There are a few other problems but i'l leave it for now.
    Good luck!
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Just for future reference to Mac users, if you want to see how a live site looks in IE from a Mac, use adobe browser labs... Once you log in, you can tweak and try dire rent browsers to see what the site looks like to windows IE users

Senior Member Web Outsourcing Gateway's Avatar
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Without reading the content, it took me about 5 minutes or more to find out that this website is for a pet salon. Yeah, seriously, at first, I thought it was home cleaning shop or something, that's why I was wondering why there is a picture of dog on the portfolio and when I browsed the picture, that's the time that I've finally figured out everything :banghead:.

I won't say too much about the design except that it looks so 90ish blog for me. But if you don't want to change the current design that's fine. But please, add something that will hint that it is a pet salon on a first glance.

Thank you. peace
    Witness how bright ideas transform into your website needs. Visit and connect us now for your Web Development and Design requirements.

P.S. If my post/reply is informative, helpful, or in any way entertaining, could you at least click the "Like" link just below this signature? That would be the best way to say thanks. And don't worry, I probably already clicked the "Like" link of your post if it helped me in any way. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Web Outsourcing Gateway, post: 248999
    Without reading the content, it took me about 5 minutes or more to find out that this website is for a pet salon. Yeah, seriously, at first, I thought it was home cleaning shop or something, that's why I was wondering why there is a picture of dog on the portfolio and when I browsed the picture, that's the time that I've finally figured out everything :banghead:.

I won't say too much about the design except that it looks so 90ish blog for me. But if you don't want to change the current design that's fine. But please, add something that will hint that it is a pet salon on a first glance.

Thank you. peace
    The dog in the logo and "Grooming" in the title aren't enough? Honestly, I'm pretty sure 95% of anyone who ends up at the site will know that they are looking at a dog grooming site before they even get there. But I'll think about that.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov, post: 248984
    • Your logo colors don't really fit with the rest of the website. Try some lighter shades.
    • The picture of the dog that is part of your logo would got better on the left side with the text of the logo left aligned to the picture
    • Your font isn't very good looking and it is a little too close together
    • When you hover on your navigation it turns it a darker shade of blue while the text remains black. This is not good for contrast because both blue and black are considered as dark colors.
    • On your contact page virtually all the content is center aligned. Try to avoid using center align because it tends to get overused a lot and it really dons't fit in with your site very well.
    I suppose the nav bar and background colors aren't matches for the logo and the logos text. The logo is the color's they are because that's the sign at the shop (see the first picture on the home page). Though now that I look hard, the logo I made does look like the font ended up a shade darker. The page background seems to match the lettering of the sign in that picture.

When you say the font isn't very good looking and it's too close together, are you referring to the logo? I guess when I gave the font some depth and a border it brought down the letter spacing, but I can fix that easy enough. But as far as the font itself, it was taken straight off the shops sign and I don't want to use a different font.
    I'm on the mentality that placing as many elements from the actual shop on the site as possible will create some familiarity for current and new customers. More so if they have seen the site and it's their first time to the shop. If the logo and font are the same as the sign outside the shop, they will recognize it when trying to find the place. Also why the first pic on that page is of the shop outside.
    Putting the dog on the left - I tried that out before and I didn't really think it looked good. I thought it was better with the logo right in the center.
    Nav bar hover text - easy to change that.
    Font align - Can change that too.

Thank you for so much input!

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Web Outsourcing Gateway, post: 248999
    Without reading the content,
    How do you evaluate a website without reading the content?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamalloy, post: 248972
    Thank you! Glad to know it works in ie! And yes, not going for an award! =) A simple clean site for a business is better than no site at all! It's more than he expected from me and he loves it.
    If the client is happy, you've done your job. If you can guide the client to a more modern look and layout, well and good, but the site is functional and informative.
    My only caveat would be to use a form rather than a popup for the e-mail contact. Many people browse with pop-up blockers turned on, and with the e-mail address coded in like that you will be getting spam as the bots go through and find it. There is a very good, simple-to-use form at form2mail, and it comes with very clear directions on how to set it up on your site.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads