Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

So, a few months ago, I was learning Adobe Dreamweaver and had managed to create my first website which I was very proud of.
    Looking back on that now, I realise Iíve come such a long way and have learnt so much.
    The original AGHicks website was entirely designed in tables (eughh, tell me about it) which I quickly realised was a huge mistake.
    I spent the last few months learning HTML and CSS to a decent level. Once Iíd got the hang of these two, I started playing around with Twitter Bootstrap testing out itís various responsive features.
    Turns out, HTML and CSS are probably simpler than learning (more like muddling) your way through Dreamweaver.
    Donít get me wrong, there have been plenty of infuriating instances where I couldnít figure out why something was wrongÖ but there is also nothing better than when you finally realise how to fix that annoying bug.
    I have changed numerous other things on the site, not just the code. The images in particular have been shrunk in size drastically without any noticeable quality drop. For example, on the old website the Project Gallery page (19 image slideshow) took around 32-36 seconds to load (c'est ridicule!); on the new website, the same page loads in around 3-5 seconds AND it has responsive features now.
    So, here it is. Designed in 4 main sizes, the new and improved www.AGHicks.co.uk[SIZE=9px][1] website. Please take a second view the site and resize the width of the window to see the responsive side in action [/SIZE]

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Just my humble and non-professional opinion here.
    Your top margin and spacing between the logo and nav menu is too much. And the nav menu itself is about twice as tall as necessary. About 40% of my screen is just the logo, phone, and nav menu. That's a lot of empty space, and I personally believe in getting "as much" on the screen when someone visits as possible. Clutter isn't good, but neither is empty space.
    And your footer sinks below the screen. Like on the gallery page. Your content isn't pushing the footer down, but the footer still has to be scrolled to. If you look up "sticky-footer" (or go here: http://www.cssstickyfooter.com/using...oter-code.html ), you could solve that problem. That site helped me. It's really easy.
    I don't know if it's the way your footer is set up (not using sticky footer) or if you have a bottom margin between the content and footer, but I would decrease that space a bit too.
    I wonder if you got the content a little more narrow, if your homepage would fit on my screen without scrolling... it would be close anyways!

The layout change when resizing is very interesting to me as I'm not sure I have seen it! (I'm pretty much a noob myself). Works nicely as far as I saw, except one thing. I resized pretty slow to catch when it changed. There was a point before the first change where the phone numbers and the "contact" text slipped below your phone icon and the bar/divider of your nav bar, respectively.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    ps - I would recommend a way of turning the slideshow off while viewing a gallery. I personally hate slideshows and prefer to navigate manually, and on top of that, it went pretty quick between pictures.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamalloy, post: 249335
    ...I personally believe in getting "as much" on the screen when someone visits as possible. Clutter isn't good, but neither is empty space.
    I thought of a site I saw once and managed to find it. It explains what I said much better and is a great read.
    http://iampaddy.com/lifebelow600/

Remove Ads