Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hey! This is the main navigation of my page set up - yet to put actual portfolio content in. This is my first website so please let me know what you think and ways that I could improve it. Any info you need as to how I achieved certain things please let me know!

I'm not sure if the automatic scrolling every time you click a button would be annoying ?

Any optimisation tips or ways to improve my coding would be helpful also!

Sorry about the ad on top - temporary hosting.

new address:

http://shanuea.lockernerd.co.uk/shaun_wilson/

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    The scrolling can get a bit annoying, especially if it doesn't do anything usefull. The first big problem I see is that when the user clicks on a link, your navigation is hidden because of the sliding which makes the user have to manually scroll back up to get to the navigation.

I love the idea of having your "logo" also be your navigation. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

Also, If you intend to keep the scrolling effect, make the content at least completely below the visibility of the screen. What I mean is, If I am on your home page I shouldn't see the "about me" section. Instead make it below the screen so that the scrolling effect would reveal it.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks!
    I was thinking of putting a little arrow button on the bottom of the page, so to return to the navigation you just click the button and it scrolls you up again.
    For the portfolio tab you get that ribbon nav thing to jump to each peice.

Good idea with having the content lower down - I'm working on a laptop so I can't see it on that, but will make it lower.

Even if I put the button at the bottom, do you think the automatic scrolling is just too annoying?

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I love the concept and how the foreground mountain rises when scrolled down. I think you need to work on content placement like the previous comment mentioned and possibly adding a quick menu bar across the top when the page scrolls down so you don't have to go back to the top to go to another page. I think this will turn off a lot of people and they will begin to drop off your site upon having to do so. For example on my site http://www.fireproofgfx.com/ the menu stays on top so people can go easily to the next section if need be.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    I like the graphic you have. However, navigation is ridiculously awkward. The parallax and the slow scrolling really is a bit unpleasant to look at, esp when scrolling back up. I think it could make me nauseous if I did it enough. Secondly it's not 100% obvious that the menu is the menu.

I would suggest just adopting a 1 page website with sticky menu. It's a trend, but IMO, it looks great and navigation is fairly intuitive, and you basically progress through the website, piece by piece, by simply scrolling done.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the feedback RDesignsta. Could you have another look at the website - I just re-uploaded it with some more work on the navigation. There's now a sticky menu that pops up from the bottom as you scroll down (as well as the portfolio sticky menu, that sticks to the side when viewing the portfolio.)

The top desert nav thing is now really just an opening screen, though you can scroll up and use it if you want to. Would like your feedback on what I've done now.

I've also addressed the problem of the content being half visible when the website loads - it now fades in as you scroll down.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Not bad. Not bad at all. This is actually a pretty unique design. I don't think iv'e seen people use the this navigation in this way before.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've started putting in some proper content now as well as a few little touches here and there.

Little concerned with the load time of the mouse rollovers in the portfolio. They don't smoothly transition on first rollover.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Bump. almost finished.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    nice. should move css style info and as much js as possible to an external file to adhere to the semantic web theory. everything else is very pro. cheers!

Remove Ads