Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hi,

I'm looking for help in improving my website. I am not a designer or programmer, I am just the person with the idea behind the store. That is why I am turning to the experts on this forum to see what advice and tips you could give me to make the all aspects of the website BETTER!

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Many thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Pretty sure this is just a slightly modified templet...
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    For the money I paid, I hope not.

Although, why is that so bad?

Thanks for your reply.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Exquisite Trimmings, post: 250425, member: 36211
    For the money I paid, I hope not.

Although, why is that so bad?

Thanks for your reply.
    Well i'm not saying its bad. Just that if your asking for a review make sure not to claim it as YOUR website because this makes people think your dishonest which doesn't help you get reviews. The other thing is, well, there isn't anything to review if its a templet... If you have something specific for people to review please clearly state that so we know what you mean.

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    I'm 99% sure it's not a template as it was an idea that came out of my head and was implemented by the designer/programmer. They could've used a template and suggested that this was the best format in which to present the ideas, though.

There is a difference!

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Exquisite Trimmings, post: 250432, member: 36211
    I'm 99% sure it's not a template as it was an idea that came out of my head and was implemented by the designer/programmer. They could've used a template and suggested that this was the best format in which to present the ideas, though.

There is a difference!
    Oh! ok. That cleared it up. You never said you paid a programmer/designer to do this. Ok, this makes much more sense. Like I said try to give as much explination as possible. So if the you didn't design it why do you need a review? Can changes still be made?

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Sorry about that! I should've been clearer in the post.

I came up with an idea in my head of what I wanted my website to look like and the designer/programmer made it happen. I am not a designer or a programmer, just the owner of the business.

Yes, changes can still be made, I am always looking to evolve and become more user friendly. Another opinion is always appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    1) Email submission and follow us has a gray background - Right now its a bit too light. It doesn't have enough contrast with the background. I would suggest making it darker.

2) Put more padding between the "follow us" and the top of the gray container its in.

3) If you look closely you will see that the "follow us" container is slightly lower then the email submission container (the gray you see is the container)

4) Make the social media links have some sort of hover effect. I would suggest making them at 50% opacity and 100% opacity when they are hovered on.

5) Make the hover effect on the navigation more distinct. Right now its a little hard to see that it is turning blue. Maybe make it a slightly brighter blue and add a very faint shadow on over?

6) The black line that separates the navigation and the slideshow should be a little lighter. Looks out of place to me.

7) Your "Questions" button on the bottom right looks out of place. I don't think its necessary either. It it was me I would just get rid of it altogether.

8) The last image of your slideshow is slightly moved to the left. If you look at the white border of the slideshow on all the slides, you will see that the last on is moved to the left.

Well, thats all for now. Good luck
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    At first I thought it looked like a WordPress site, but in fact it is not. Nor is it exactly a template - rather it is built on a set of basic CSS styles (Skeleton) that gives a designer a pre-made basis for quick development of any kind of layout, while hand-coding the site.

I agree with the advice Andrew has given - with some more details:
    1. Instead of darkening the background, try border:1px solid #ccc;
    2. Give your class "container-boxes" a top margin of about 40px - that will keep all the boxes aligned and still provide more room to differentiate between them and the slider.
    3. The e-mail and follow us boxes are the same height (145px), but the picture in the first box is 156px in height - thus the boxes do not look symmetrical. Also the picture is much darker and this helps to further the feeling of imbalance. Maybe put it in the middle?
    4. I agree.
    5. I agree.
    6. Take the blue from the scrollwork in the logo as your highlight colour - this line would be good in that colour.
    7. I see that the "Questions" button is actually a link to live chat. Unless you plan on having someone actually there to chat, I'd suggest removing it. It can be extremely frustrating (especially for returning customers) to find the chat inactive during "normal" working hours. If you do plan to man the chat, consider labelling the button as such, rather than having the fact that it is a chat in such a small font. And consider changing the colour to something more in keeping with the overall colour scheme of the site - the orange is quite jarring.
    8. Not seeing this, but what I would like to see is some kind of border or demarcation of the slideshow from the rest of the page - a shadow, perhaps?
    9. Did your designer go out of business? The link to his site at the bottom left takes me to a generic holding page.

These remarks aside, it is an elegant and well-thought-out site, and one I would put in my portfolio without hesitation, had I created it.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads