Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello to all, I was just lookin to sharpen my HTML/CSS skills and I found this free psd online.

PSD File - http://elemis.iki-bir.com/2010/10/fa...e-homepage-psd
    The HTML and CSS (.zip file) (if anybody needs it) - http://storenow.net/my/?f=710ab2bc0d...37439b57fb37b4

This is my first ever fully working site converted from PSD. Ofcourse there are bits of details I missed but the good thing is the page is consistent on most browsers. I just wanted you to tell me what you think about it. maybe see the code and tell me any mistakes or better methods.

Thanks,

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Two things:

1) You almost never want to describe an image with an empty alt attribute (spacers being the exception to the rule, but even then, you probably should if you run into a rare situation where you need to use them in the first place). So describe what's there. It's good for image search reasons, and it's good for your users that want to see what's there and can't (if an image shows up broken, people with sight issues, etc.)

2) The font is a bit jagged and hard to read in smaller sizes when you use a browser where anti-aliasing isn't enabled (e.g. Chrome). This is a big problem with "new web fonts" in general...they look okay when they're big, but when they're normal and/or smaller, they look like someone cut them out of the side of a cardboard box with a box cutter. This is known as Helvetica Neue Syndrome (I named it because the Helvetica Neue fonts are a major offender this way). You may want to play it safe for the body fonts and use Tahoma, Verdana or Arial as your primary body font (making sure to have backup fonts listed in your font family, of course).

Other than that, it's very clean from a code point of view. Not a lot interfering with it. No use of anything stupid that you shouldn't be using. Nice job.
    tamrat likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 250551, member: 428
    Two things:

1) You almost never want to describe an image with an empty alt attribute (spacers being the exception to the rule, but even then, you probably should if you run into a rare situation where you need to use them in the first place). So describe what's there. It's good for image search reasons, and it's good for your users that want to see what's there and can't (if an image shows up broken, people with sight issues, etc.)

2) The font is a bit jagged and hard to read in smaller sizes when you use a browser where anti-aliasing isn't enabled (e.g. Chrome). This is a big problem with "new web fonts" in general...they look okay when they're big, but when they're normal and/or smaller, they look like someone cut them out of the side of a cardboard box with a box cutter. This is known as Helvetica Neue Syndrome (I named it because the Helvetica Neue fonts are a major offender this way). You may want to play it safe for the body fonts and use Tahoma, Verdana or Arial as your primary body font (making sure to have backup fonts listed in your font family, of course).

Other than that, it's very clean from a code point of view. Not a lot interfering with it. No use of anything stupid that you shouldn't be using. Nice job.
    Thanks for the tips TheGAME1264. I will definately take note of these in the future. I didn't add the alt for the img because I added the pics at the last moment. I just added the alt attribute because I read that a markup wouldn't be valid with out it (in w3c's validation).

And thanks about the Chrome thing. I always thought Chrome had more sharpness to texts.

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it.

Remove Ads