Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    1.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

regardless of the url "templatesbypete" i am actually just starting out but i hope to be making templates soon. also i don't know how to fix css validation error

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    It's quite boring looking. Your images are old paintings or dead people, your colors are fairly dull, and all I really see are blocks of text.

I do have a bias - I am a web designer and rate sites based on web design standards. You however, seem to be more of a copywriter/writer? So your standard may be different than ours.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I agree with the above comment. Also consider that your eyes scan from left to right as you're looking at the homepage of a website, much like when you read a book. Where's the logo? Why is there an image of a guy writing/drawing/getting all sciency at the top left? What does it have to do with the site content?

We can understand the theme of a site by the use of typographic style and the visual impact that texture can make. Maybe go for a light parchment paper texture in the background, and a respected serif font like Georgia? Maybe look for something with a bit more flair for your headings?
    Peter Lewis likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    thanks Phil for the detailed post. i will be back with a better site

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    No problem. We all start somewhere. When it comes to dissecting a website for the first time, there are many things one doesn't consider, and it may seem daunting, but don't let it discourage you. Take a look at some sites that you DO like and draw some conclusions in similarities. You may be able to identify consistency in the way the site is physically laid out (wireframed), or specific design elements, like rounded, beveled, or scalloped edges to bounding boxes etc...

Remove Ads