Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I've been working on a site for just over 2 years now (From the concept to what it is), and would simply like feedback from a community that knows what to look for.

The OCDb - Online Clan Database - Is a project that started off as a simple idea, that has multiplied considerably in complexity. The idea behind it is to create a very clean, simple to use Clan Management site. Whilst 'Clan Management' sums it up quite neatly, there is quite a bit to it (so I realised).

To see it will show off much more than I could possibly type in a message I want people to read, so I urge those who are interested to take a look for yourselves

I am simply seeking advice, constructive criticism, and generally anything that can get thrown at me that will help me along the way. Please leave any comments below, and I will be sure to update this post with the relevant info.

Relevant Info:
    • No frameworks were used in the production of the site - aside from Asp.Net.
    • The site's core and primary functions are coded in C#, whilst JQuery and other 3rd party plugins help increase the functionality.
    • No external resources have been contracted. I have solely constructed and designed the site. The lack of graphics is due to the lack of a skilled artist.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quick Question, are you using wordpress?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Abear, post: 251036, member: 36281
    Quick Question, are you using wordpress?
    Nope. The entire site was coded from scratch. Will Update the post to reflect it.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    It's not WP - looks like it's ckeditor.

Not much there to review - fairly bland site.
    I'd like to see a bit more space around the logo image in the first paragraph.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 251038, member: 20289
    It's not WP - looks like it's ckeditor.

Not much there to review - fairly bland site.
    I'd like to see a bit more space around the logo image in the first paragraph.
    I used ckeditor for the front posts, and will continue to use it for most of the text-based publishing.

Its a 'bland' site because I haven't really been able to add graphical design :P I've mainly been working on the functionality. Thanks for the advice though.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Actually, you did use one framework...ASP.net. Not sure which version, but it is one (I'm guessing 2.0 since I see what appears to be the presence of the AJAX Toolkit). Not that it's a bad thing...it's refreshing to see someone else who doesn't use PHP for everything. I use VB.net myself, but I can at least understand C# if I need to (and have in the past).

One thing right off the top...you might want to look at disabling Viewstate, even though you have a login form on your site. It'll cut down quite a bit on code if you can. I usually handle logins by posting the form to a separate page and letting Request.Form handle it old-school classic ASP style; that way, if I need to put a second form on the page (e.g. a registration form), I can let that page handle its own processing.

Other than that, not much else to say other than what others already have. I don't mind it being "bland" because it functions and it's clean, but others may differ.
    NewAmbition likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 251041, member: 428
    Actually, you did use one framework...ASP.net. Not sure which version, but it is one (I'm guessing 2.0 since I see what appears to be the presence of the AJAX Toolkit). Not that it's a bad thing.. tbc...
    Thanks for the advice I am currently using asp.net 4... By frameworks, I guess I meant other than Asp (I'm surprised I overlooked that).
    I'm pretty sure that I've removed all traces of AjaxControlToolkit, no idea where you saw that

I'm using viewstate, because I don't really want to use cookies (Other than preserving login states). As for cutting down code, I only use one viewstate, for login, and its about 15 lines long. It also works pretty well

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Code:
    <script src="/WebResource.axd?d=LFhUHpoNLJOWW0mvbcgTpyA0d6wIH3Y0sRMlr8oQhs9ywwxmR7v5PxnD1dgovBdcF9poagVoazb-cBiwcAPBsn1vaUOMaZTwy1GuredTlxE1&amp;t=634896662120000000" type="text/javascript"></script>

<script src="/ScriptResource.axd?d=u422G6hEtftYJelr84U1eOrr06v2I_JsNYAsq0pKkX6V3ASTCXNIyLFy1rcQla1GtvXLsjh2I0IHwEIet57Wl13BIjAO54bdaUcsMr7NMLVgukUO6xJ6x7iUbG47kujZkrkCX7rhoknxd9hnCpF6usAjYFdwtWRwYfFk3oZ1pUkolIjHPUqcUdWB3oD-qTq-0&amp;t=6119e399" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    //<![CDATA[
    if (typeof(Sys) === 'undefined') throw new Error('ASP.NET Ajax client-side framework failed to load.');
    //]]>
    </script>

<script src="/ScriptResource.axd?d=ls2aO_bPTqJKYMEOSMrCVXvowBoPQgf_qTjzNlQ-g1paGBPXyHw2lRJ4EUD-eLTISpJCND0ZiUcWF7UHdEJf-km543XJeW8T7gzlBn4SBfjyLJQmAvg_uEnXIdp_1p8ARR_FV-836NFkFlsxZ5nqcyzW6kSQ4B1YDBZPCQ0uUMDidDyE51-teqyTRZIIZZI-0&amp;t=6119e399" type="text/javascript"></script>
    It's on the home page, dude. You're lucky you found the one guy on this forum who might actually know what the AJAX Toolkit code looks like.

One other thing you might want to look at: adding clientIDMode="Static" to your pages tag in your web.config. That will allow ASP.net to use the actual IDs you created as client IDs rather than adding in the ctl00_ at the beginning. The downside is that you have to watch for non-unique IDs (e.g. on every repeater you'll have to add clientIDMode="Auto" to ensure unique IDs...supposedly, there's a way to override this but I haven't figured out how yet).

By the way, for those who think this site is bland...this young man is rocking the ASP.net. One does not need to have an exciting layout when one uses ASP.net. An ASP.net coder is a warrior of the highest caliber, and must be respected at all times for his wisdom and courage.
    NewAmbition likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 251047, member: 428
    It's on the home page, dude. You're lucky you found the one guy on this forum who might actually know what the AJAX Toolkit code looks like.
    I did see that, although i doubly, nay, triply made sure that i totally eradicated all references to AjaxControlToolkit (Including from nuget). This code, however, is from the single most <ScriptManager> and <UpdatePanel> I had left... Which is now resting in peace... I am pleased to say it wasn't to do with ACT

For the static ID's idea, I havent yet had to implement that. It's easy to link to JQuery using ClientID, and I'm wasn't really expecting people to seek prettiness in the compiled code (yet again, well spotted my good sir).

Thanks for the final compliment, I'm sure the acid in my stomach will soon kill those pesky butterflies! Although, a warriors butterflies' are armored and armed to the teeth.[/code][/quote]

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Irrelevant information: Whilst reading the description I went O.O. because today is the day, that I found out, you could C# in web apps. Ha-ha, I know, irrelevant to the topic, but still wanted to share that. (I still have lots to learn)

On to more relevant information:
    Great website idea mate, I love the idea of having an online directory for all clans, I wouldn't call myself a hardcore gamer, but I do dabble in the arts of gaming (I play CoD (on the Wii T_T), and.... Dragon Nest? Hope that counts). And would love to see a place where everyone could get to know and actually see other clans. I am excited to see as to how your website unfolds.

On to design:
    The site design is plain, And easy to understand, although it's a good design for particular sites, I think sites that relate to gaming have a more (striking) design. Full of HD Vector character art. Id recommend putting up a few of those (not too much though as other sites tend to put too much it makes barf), like maybe a WoW Character somewhere near the header, like the head (of the character vector art) at the bottom of the header with half of its body covered by the main page content but still making the other half of the body visible. And maybe getting an icon set (like scrolls,crossed swords, the works.) But it doesn't suit the design as of now, just a few suggestions if you plan on redesigning the site.

But as for the design right now, it's pretty okay. Although I would change the border's to a light-grayish color, instead of the blue. Also it would be nice if you had a logo on the left most part of the header, and probably push the search/menu bar to the center of the page.

Also, the Global Content Sidebar is out of place. I'm not sure if it's on purpose or not, but the sidebar doesn't align with the Main Content. And, it has some issues as well. If you try zooming out to 33% (on my 1600x900 monitor) the global content sidebar gets pushed to the bottom of the page (below the main content, I know people won't zoom out, but I just like to check that a lot ha-ha )

But overall great work on the site, hope you get to finish it!
    TheGAME1264 and NewAmbition like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads