Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.5 out of 5

Compatibility:
    3.5 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello,

I have been working on a website called karswebdesign. Unfortunately I am not a designer but just a programmer, so I don't really have creative visual and graphical skills. So I'm asking if some designers and creative people could take a look at my website and let me know what they think.

I strongly welcome constructive criticism and advice.

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    1) Get rid of red lines in between main navigation
    2) Remove Yellow border from header (not the shadow, keep that)
    3) Add A hover effect for your navigation links
    4) Remove the white line that separates the content and the footer on your home page.
    5) Remove yellow border from your boxes on the bottom (keep the shadow)
    6) If I were you I wouldn't put that facebook like box on your footer or anywhere else for that matter
    7) On the footer navigation, remove the underline of the links. Its obvious enough that they are links in my opinion
    8) Make the caption for you slideshow have no space between the border of the slideshow on the bottom and sides. In other words, make the caption fill the entire bottom area.
    9) On all the other pages make the navigation shadow be the same exact color as your yellow navigation link to keep it more consistent.
    10) Your home page just doesn't quite look right to me. All your other pages on the other hand are actually very good.
    11) Its almost never a good idea to use a picture for a background for optimizing reasons but then again your a programmer so you probably know better.
    12) I think your contact information on your header is a little to big and too close to the banner thing at the top. Maybe move it so it is flush with your navigation on the right?

Well that's all for now. Please keep in mind, all the above are suggestions! I would love to see the website with all the changes though
    NeuReg likes this.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    consider changing the font color of "welcome to alberta design" so it is easily identifed as a title. cheers!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov, post: 251152, member: 27580
    4) Remove the white line that separates the content and the footer on your home page.
    6) If I were you I wouldn't put that facebook like box on your footer or anywhere else for that matter
    7) On the footer navigation, remove the underline of the links. Its obvious enough that they are links in my opinion
    8) Make the caption for you slideshow have no space between the border of the slideshow on the bottom and sides. In other words, make the caption fill the entire bottom area.
    9) On all the other pages make the navigation shadow be the same exact color as your yellow navigation link to keep it more consistent.
    10) Your home page just doesn't quite look right to me. All your other pages on the other hand are actually very good.
    11) Its almost never a good idea to use a picture for a background for optimizing reasons but then again your a programmer so you probably know better.
    12) I think your contact information on your header is a little to big and too close to the banner thing at the top. Maybe move it so it is flush with your navigation on the right?

Well that's all for now. Please keep in mind, all the above are suggestions! I would love to see the website with all the changes though
    Oh wow. I honestly didn't expect that much detail and advice in a response (maybe I'm just biased, since people on other websites just said it was bad. I was hoping for a bit more detail than just bad. I'm here, so I already know that it's bad). Thank you very much!
    I have implemented some of the changes already.
    The changes can be viewed at test.haytorrent.com. Let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I'm not a designer. I'm a developer. But I do see some things that might help you.

The biggest problem I see was the first thing that caught my eye...the "SEO" title. I know why it's there, but here's the thing...if you put a phrase like "Professional Web Development Edmonton" anywhere on a page, it probably won't convert well. SEO is like makeup...it looks awful when it's applied in a way that looks obvious, and most people don't know how to properly apply it.

The reason the home page probably doesn't look right to Andrew is because you put the light background on all your subpages so that corporate scene doesn't dominate and attract the eye unnecessarily. I'd use the same thing on the home page that I did on the subpages.

Another big one: you're not a "we". You're an "I". There's only one of you. You might as well admit that upfront....otherwise people are going to want that chick in the middle of the one collaboration picture.

http://www.csis-scrs.gc.ca/ <-- they don't use Drupal. I was surprised for a second to see that whitehouse.gov used Drupal, but then I realized Obama is in charge of the States and that a government is involved, which explains why they'd do something stupid like putting a website associated with the government of the most polarizing country on Earth on an open source platform. I'll at least give them credit for not being extremely stupid and going W*rdPr*ss, though.

You shouldn't tell people that you can build an e-commerce website "without monthly fees", or at the very least you should reword this part. There are monthly fees associated with payment processors, merchant accounts and hosting...not to mention annual SSL and domain fees.

i don't know if you hired an offshore team to write your content or if English isn't your first language, but a lot of your sentences don't flow correctly. You need to have someone proofread this thing for spelling and grammar errors.

The logos on the "Slogan and Logo Design Services" page aren't yours. They're not only not yours, they represent major brands. If you want to be sued for everything that you will ever make for the rest of your life and ten years after you die, that's a great way to go about it. Damn, dude...you're just ASKING for trouble there.

I have to go to bed now, so others will have to catch other things.
    NeuReg likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov, post: 251152, member: 27580

wonderful review! You have pointed out most of problem of the site. that's really significant. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    It's getting much better!
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Version, post: 251188, member: 33406
    wonderful review! You have pointed out most of problem of the site. that's really significant. Thanks!
    Why are you thanking him? it's not your site.

And why are you following a bad trend that India started (i.e. pretending to be from America when you're not)?
    Andrew Yurlov likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 251186, member: 428
    SEO is like makeup...it looks awful when it's applied in a way that looks obvious.
    I'm stealing this quote! (I'll attribute it, but I'm gonna use it!)
    m3n0tu18 and TheGAME1264 like this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Thank you everyone. Your help is very significant and much appreciated.
    Note: I'm not making any of the changes on the main domain. I have a sub-domain that I use for design testing. To view the changes or the latest "version" of the design go to test.haytorrent.com.

Again, thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads