Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello, Everyone

I been working on my home website template for about a week now, designed every color, every shape, every images and it is in my own opinion coming out well. It is far from done considering it needs content, links, and more images. But on the other hand it feels like it is missing something in the main design. I can figure out what but it is haunting me. Can anyone here give me some good feedback? Please note only the home page is the only page I have some what completed.

For best viewing please use Firefox or Chrome.

Below is the link to my design:
    http://www.rhynotech.net/custom

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    If it's your site, be "I"...not "We". You're only "We" if someone else is working with you.

Hint: tableless layouts. They are your friend. Tabled layouts are the dinosaur. They may be "easier" (and after doing enough tableless layouts, the opposite holds true), but the code is messy, it's semantically incorrect, and once you get good with tableless layouts, you'll realize how inflexible a tabled layout is. If you get good enough with a tableless layout, you can organize it pretty much any way you want...you can't do that with a tabled layout.

The only other thing I'm going to comment on is "best viewed in Firefox or Chrome". I looked in IE just because of that...you tell me not to do something, screw you, I'm going to do it. And you're right. It's borked in IE. That doesn't mean it's IE's fault, though...IE quite often gets blamed when a coder doesn't know what (s)he is doing, and this is a classic case. Why? Your doctype declaration threw it into Quirks Mode, along with the tables.

This should explain the differences and get you to the more appropriate doctype (yes, of all things Wikipedia is most useful for this):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirks_...document_types

Others will probably come along and comment on the aesthetic aspects. I don't do that because that's subjective and what one person thinks is ugly may turn out to be successful and vice versa.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 251778, member: 428
    If it's your site, be "I"...not "We". You're only "We" if someone else is working with you.

Hint: tableless layouts. They are your friend. Tabled layouts are the dinosaur. They may be "easier" (and after doing enough tableless layouts, the opposite holds true), but the code is messy, it's semantically incorrect, and once you get good with tableless layouts, you'll realize how inflexible a tabled layout is. If you get good enough with a tableless layout, you can organize it pretty much any way you want...you can't do that with a tabled layout.

The only other thing I'm going to comment on is "best viewed in Firefox or Chrome". I looked in IE just because of that...you tell me not to do something, screw you, I'm going to do it. And you're right. It's borked in IE. That doesn't mean it's IE's fault, though...IE quite often gets blamed when a coder doesn't know what (s)he is doing, and this is a classic case. Why? Your doctype declaration threw it into Quirks Mode, along with the tables.

This should explain the differences and get you to the more appropriate doctype (yes, of all things Wikipedia is most useful for this):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirks_...document_types

Others will probably come along and comment on the aesthetic aspects. I don't do that because that's subjective and what one person thinks is ugly may turn out to be successful and vice versa.

Hey thanks for the advice! I have not yet set the doctype to the correct one yet. I let the validation checker correct the errors but of course you cant put faith into a validation checker. I do understand how to code both ways on the other hand, and I just may take up coding it using div ids and classes alone. Both ways are easy to me. Thanks for the feedback I will consider it.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    larger margins. it feels cramped. some space between each nav button too. not enough contrast between the rhino and the header background. can't say if it is visually appealing til you add some content and headlines. cheers!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewis, post: 251810, member: 35639
    larger margins. it feels cramped. some space between each nav button too. not enough contrast between the rhino and the header background. can't say if it is visually appealing til you add some content and headlines. cheers!
    Well I must say you are correct, now that I look at it with your aspect I do see it is a bit cramped together. I will indeed space the margins apart a bit by widing out the wrapper a bit. I think that will straighten things up. What do you think about putting something orange in color behind the logo to give it some more contrast?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared_N89, post: 251812, member: 36501
    Well I must say you are correct, now that I look at it with your aspect I do see it is a bit cramped together. I will indeed space the margins apart a bit by widing out the wrapper a bit. I think that will straighten things up. What do you think about putting something orange in color behind the logo to give it some more contrast?
    i see you took care of it already, but the black rhino against the black text is still a problem. cheers!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewis, post: 251826, member: 35639
    i see you took care of it already, but the black rhino against the black text is still a problem. cheers!
    Clear you cache my friend the rhino has been removed and the logo was remade.

Remove Ads