Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    3.5 out of 5

Compatibility:
    3.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello all,

I've just finished this for a client who wanted something building within a few days and here it is...

I haven't finished the thank you page for sending a enquiry but its pretty much there. He's giving me a disk full of photos to fill the gallery with.

Let me know what you think

Cheers
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    http://www.rnib.org.uk/professionals...es/uk_law.aspx

Your contrast ratio in your footer, lack of alt attributes, and the overall small font sizes you use could trigger that law. It's rather nebulous, but it's also fairly clear as to what you should be going for...basic accessiblity.

You also have PHP code in your contact page.
    Code:
    <?php
             if(isset($_POST['name'])) {

$message = "You have received an email message from {$_POST['name']}, their details are as follows:
               - Email: {$_POST['email']}
               - Comments: {$_POST['comments']}";

mail("jim2069@hotmail.co.uk", "Contact form message", $message);
             die(header("Location: /thankyou.html")); 
             }
             ?>
    It's not bad looking overall (although I don't like the text in the banner graphic in the middle...dark text with a dark border is hard to read). But you're going to have to keep things like what i just posted in mind.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    nice. would be nicer if one element had some "texture" in other words a little 3d feel to it. personally i would make the contrast in font sizes more dramatic, but thats just me.
    you have so many external css files and still even more styling inside the html. that flies in the face of semantic design. combine as much as you can into one file. cheers!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    cheers for the comments, the text for the banner graphic is exactly the same as what they have on their van. I couldnt change it so i had to try and make do with it.

Cheers for mentioning the php code i am over the next few days going to tidy the code up and remove bits like that. Im also going to add some more alt tags to images.

colour scheme wise i didnt want to go mad with textures i just wanted something quick and simple and thats what ive done lol

Font wise im happy with arial size 12, i did struggle on the contact page to fit the email address in the space i had to work with so i had to shrink the font size, which still is bugging me.

so you're telling me because of the small font it could trigger that law... but loads of web sites use small fonts im confused by that. more info on this would be good...

cheers
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, that's a phrase that drives me up the wall. What "loads of web sites" do should have absolutely no bearing on what you do. Ever. At any time. "Loads of web sites" also still use tables for layout purposes, insist on repeating corporate buzzwords, and insist on putting modal dialogs in front of users before users can actually see the content they intended to see. That doesn't make any of those practices correct...it makes them populist practices. The correct thing to do is to do right by your users, regardless of what the rest of the world is doing.

It's not the size of your font that could trigger that law...it's the fixed size of your font that could trigger that law. Fixed font sizes shouldn't be used for screen purposes, as they were intended for print. That's what can affect the accessibility of the page...that, and contrast, or lack thereof. Here's a good tool that will help you that way:

http://juicystudio.com/services/lumi...trastratio.php
    AlphaMare and Fireproofgfx like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lewis, post: 251811, member: 35639
    nice. would be nicer if one element had some "texture" in other words a little 3d feel to it. personally i would make the contrast in font sizes more dramatic, but thats just me.
    you have so many external css files and still even more styling inside the html. that flies in the face of semantic design. combine as much as you can into one file. cheers!
    just wanted to hint that you have no hierarchy if everything is the same size. easy ways to fix it are to change color or size or font family of the headline "Welcome to Redwood Ponds and Gardens, Landscaping & Maintenance." cheers!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Just my opinion, untimately it is the client who decides if they like it, and if you have done what they asked so that they pay you.

Personally,though, sometimes I see it as "my job", to teach them what's "right and wrong" about their vision on "their site"...

I stay away from clients that want "quick and dirty", site I could make money from them, but if I were trying to build a business,( I'm not ), there's a $$ value (to me and my business ) as to whether I would want to put that site on "my portfolio".

Most times ( not always ), business owners really don't have a clue when it comes to web design, what looks good, what "works", and the "visual aspect" or "visual appeal", that may or may not attract "new clients". Target markets are a difficult thing to judge, but...... The web is NOT a new marketing medium, it has been around for a while, and just because a client might be new, doesn't mean their web site should look it.

That's where it's "my job" to explain to them and "show them" what's best for them, their business, and potential new clients....

Member #
    It is looking very simple and i think we should also add some more creativity in that to enhance the quality of design.
    <title> tag should be at the start of head tag, you have also set lof of CSS, it should be in 1 or 2 Css.

but overall we can say good design concept you have.

Remove Ads