Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By AlphaMare
  • 4 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By AlphaMare
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Need Feedback like everyone else lol

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    5.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Need Feedback like everyone else lol

Well I will tell you a little about myself first. I am a web designer in Cincinnati OH. I have created lots of sites for many small business but with my own site i can not get better rankings in google and can not figure out why. I am a humble web designer and would appreciate any feedback what so ever. I just need some one to look over my site and give me any suggestons on how to get better rankings in google. I am on the 3rd page of google when you type in web design company cincinnati oh but i want to be on the first page. Thanks in advance. [[EDIT: moved link to the site review box]]

Andrew
    Last edited by veraderock; Jun 20th, 2013 at 02:02 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    My best suggestion to you is to edit your content! you have got way too many "keywords" stuffed in there, and it doesn't come close to sounding like natural language.
    WEB DESIGN COMPANY CINCINNATI OH!

Cincinnati OH Web Design Company located in Cincinnati OH. Low Cost Affordable Web Design!
    Welcome to Cincinnati OH Web Design, your one stop web shop where all your small business’s online needs are met in one location for one low price. I am a web designer, web hosts, webmasters, and anything else needed.

I am local and ready to serve anyone inCincinnati OHor Greater Cincinnati OH area, Blue Ash Ohio, Sharonville OH, MT. Adams OH,Loveland OH and anywhere else in the Greater Cincinnati OH area, and beyond! No matter where you are, I am the web designer for you. Top 10 reasons to have a website
    Mentioning your location is good, and, It's good to repeat your company name a few times throughout the site, but really, this is overkill and Google will not like it.
    I get pretty good results for my site - if you google "web design Vaudreuil" or "web design Soulanges" I should be somewhere on the first page. but if you look at my site, you'll see how I integrate the words into natural sounding sentences -

Also - in my opinion, a web designer, even one like me who works with Wordpress a lot, should hand-code their site. It just shows your capabilities better. But if you're going to use Wordpress for your site, then use a plugin like All-in-one SEO or maybe check out this article.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm going to be blunt for your own good here and say what I first thought: when I saw your post title and your website, my first thought was that your post title was missing a semi-colon: Need Feedback; Just Like Everyone Else LOL .

SEO is only useful if you don't end up doing something completely unnatural in the process, like registering a hyphenated domain name (that almost always was a silly idea, and is even more so now). Google launched an EMD (exact match domains) update last year to target this sort of thing specifically, and with good reason.

Second, you don't want to target the particular phrase that you think you do. No one's looking for it (and by no one, I mean "no one" in the most literal sense of the term), and it doesn't apply to you. Why? You're an individual. Why market yourself as a company when you're an individual? Be honest with people...don't say "we" when you mean "I", don't say "us" when you mean "me", and don't say "company" when you're clearly a freelancer. There's nothing wrong with being a freelancer, but there's something very wrong with saying you're something that you're not..

Basically, I think that's your major issue, both from an SEO point of view and from a marketing point of view...you're following. Specifically, you're following some really bad advice and practices. Just because you see a bunch of sites that put "web designer craters of the moon idaho" in title and h1 tags doesn't mean you have to be a dumbass and follow along. Even if they're "ranking" (another useless measure and one that's covered in great detail in the SEO forum), that doesn't mean they're converting, and I'd bet they probably aren't.

Not only are you following bad advice, you're giving it...to be more specific, you're taking it and reusing it without proper attribution. I don't know who said this first, but I'm betting and hoping it wasn't you:

Top reasons to have a website | Cincinnati OH Web Design Company Web design Cincinnati OH ? Ohio
    https://www.google.com/search?q=A+lo...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Picture this hypothetical scenario: you blow a tire on the highway.
    You're stuck on the side of the road.
    But your phone has Internet access, so you look up tow truck drivers near the spot you're stranded.
    You find Bob's Towing Company's site.
    You don't see Bob's phone number, but you see an article that says "The Top X Number of Reasons to Call a Tow Truck".

You already have a reason for needing the tow truck. You don't need Bob to tell you why you need a tow truck. All you want to know is whether he can put your spare on for you, whether he's a AAA/CAA truck driver, and what his phone number is so you can call him and get your *** back on the road. Obviously a website isn't in the same class of emergency as being stranded on a highway, but the principle remains the same...it's useless information and it's something people should already know by this point.

So yeah, if you can deal with the lemming thing, you'll be in a lot better shape, because from what little I've seen you're a decent designer, although Mare sounds like she's calling you out on theme usage if I'm not mistaken, and that's a bigtime no-no from the part of a web designer.

One more thing: I'm not sure if I'm the only person on the planet that hates this term, but "front end developer" makes me think of someone who thinks they know HTML and possibly CSS real well and they can make pretty pictures and pages. These are the guys and gals who quite end up turning into social media gurus or some other equally impressive-sounding but really lame title. You're a web designer, man. Be that. That's what you do...you design web pages.

Basically, be yourself man...if you have a personality or something distinct about you or your work, show it, because right now it's not there.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Looks great. Just a few little things to add -

1. The semi-transparent background for the 'services' drop down menu makes the menu items a little hard to read.
    2. On the contact page, the label pops off the top of the frame so you can't read it without scrolling the map. Would look better if you either zoomed out, made the map taller or moved the point down towards the bottom of the frame to allow the whole label to be seen.
    3. Probably don't need the breadcrumb trail, especially with the domain name preceding it.

Hope this helps a little.

Member #
    Full star rating.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    ... Mare sounds like she's calling you out on theme usage if I'm not mistaken, and that's a bigtime no-no from the part of a web designer.
    Yep, it's a WordPress site -

"Theme Name: theme2047 Theme URI: http:// template-help. com/
    Description: A theme for Wordpress 3.5.x + from Template-Help.com Collection
    Author: Template_Help . com
    Author URL: http:// www . Template-Help . com/
    Template: CherryFramework
    Version: 1.0
    MotoPress Version: 1"

I went to the URL and it looks like they are selling themes in several places - and they also have some free ones. I am not sure if this is a purchased theme or one he found for free - don`t really care. Either way, I think you should be able to demonstrate hand-coding on your own site, especially if you're going to put yourself forward as a designer.

I am seeing more and more of this - and it's really starting to irritate me. I have worked and studied long and hard to develop the skills I use in my profession - and in my opinion, using a theme someone else designed and trying to pass it off as your own is cheating.

There is nothing wrong with using a theme - in fact I have several clients listed in my portfolio who came to me with purchased themes - but in every case I make note of that, and claim as my work only the modifications I made.
    Last edited by AlphaMare; Jun 27th, 2013 at 09:46 AM.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Everyone has his own way to live.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah, like Aaron Hernandez.

What's your point?
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads