Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Hello there, need some sincere feedback on my site

Hello Everybody,

I was doing research on forum engines and found this site, saw topics and decided to join .

Could I please get sincere feedback on the design of one of my sites? [EDIT by TheGAME1264. Moved to the URL box.]

Please don't bash me for using EMD and hyphens ), that is besides the point and btw it does rank very well (even after update). I would highly appreciate your thoughts about my site, and please be sincere, I'm not going to cry...

Thanks a lot!
    Sergey
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Jul 25th, 2013 at 01:15 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Next time when you make a thread, make sure to put your url in the correct place.

I wouldn't use that default font if I were you. It makes it look oldschool and bland. Divide the items your selling with some kind of boxes or something otherwise it just looks wrong to me. Your search bar is not centered and the search button is horrible quality. You have the main jist of it, all you now need to do is get all the little details just right. This is what I usually do to find all the little things.

Look at your design piece by piece. First look at your header and ask yourself, "Does this meet my design standards? Is there anything I can improve?(there usually is).

Once your done with the header move down section by section and fix everything and anything that doesnt look exactly right to you. You will be surprised just now effective this method is.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't think that's on him, Andrew. The URL thing has been happening to everyone. I'll fix it and then I'll look.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, looking at the site, I'm going to ask one question, and how I review your site will depend on how you answer it:

You want me to be sincere, yet you don't want me to comment on the EMD. There's no way I can be sincere without commenting, so pick one.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Okay, looking at the site, I'm going to ask one question, and how I review your site will depend on how you answer it:

You want me to be sincere, yet you don't want me to comment on the EMD. There's no way I can be sincere without commenting, so pick one.
    If you'd like to comment please do, the problem is that I cannot do anything about it. This site was a guinea pig to test EMD theory and after doing everything as per Google guidelines it ranked very well for whole family of keywords in a very short time. There are many different opinions on EMDs and even Matt Cuts said that it is OK to use EMD if the site is legit and doesn't serve the purpose to cheat the algorithm. I personally think that it is all about customer service and I guess other people too, since they do make purchases on this site, maybe not as often as I'd hoped though... Therefore I'm here to ask unbiased opinion, again, I highly appreciate all opinions so please say what is really on your mind.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov View Post
    Next time when you make a thread, make sure to put your url in the correct place.

I wouldn't use that default font if I were you. It makes it look oldschool and bland. Divide the items your selling with some kind of boxes or something otherwise it just looks wrong to me. Your search bar is not centered and the search button is horrible quality. You have the main jist of it, all you now need to do is get all the little details just right. This is what I usually do to find all the little things.

Look at your design piece by piece. First look at your header and ask yourself, "Does this meet my design standards? Is there anything I can improve?(there usually is).

Once your done with the header move down section by section and fix everything and anything that doesnt look exactly right to you. You will be surprised just now effective this method is.
    Thanks a lot Andrew, I apologize for not posting properly, it is my first post and I'm not very familiar with this forum engine. I've meant to do something with the search bar, I've cut a corner on it and forgot to fix it. Huge thanks for your opinion, really appreciate it

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm not sure when/where Matt ever said that. He may very well have, but I don't recall it. Can you provide a source?

The truth is that any time people say they're "doing everything per Google guidelines", it's almost a given that they aren't...I haven't seen one yet that actually said that and found it to be true. For example, the posting of an irrelevant link in the footer: "SEO Company New York". The good news is that it makes finding posers really easy. The four paragraphs of SEObabbletext under every category are obviously not there for users, either...there isn't anything there that is of real use to a customer and is a classic case of someone describing the ocean when someone wants a life preserver.

Call it what you want, but this is a site that focuses on search engines first and users after, and it shows. If your SEO efforts can be spotted from space without a telescope, they're not "per Google guidelines" and they're not white hat. Look at this way...if you saw someone ranking on a search engine using an EMD and pulling tricks like that, would you as a competitor report that someone? You probably would, and you'd be right to do it.

You have no company address...as in a physical address. I'm not sure how you're processing your transactions, but I'm surprised you got a live merchant account without that.

"Hassle" is misspelled.

The bottom line is this site doesn't do anything to inspire confidence. You mention "unscrupulous street vendors", and I grew up with a few of those in my hometown...I honestly can't tell the difference.

Member #
    I'm not sure when/where Matt ever said that. He may very well have, but I don't recall it. Can you provide a source?

The truth is that any time people say they're "doing everything per Google guidelines", it's almost a given that they aren't...I haven't seen one yet that actually said that and found it to be true. For example, the posting of an irrelevant link in the footer: "SEO Company New York". The good news is that it makes finding posers really easy. The four paragraphs of SEObabbletext under every category are obviously not there for users, either...there isn't anything there that is of real use to a customer and is a classic case of someone describing the ocean when someone wants a life preserver.

Call it what you want, but this is a site that focuses on search engines first and users after, and it shows. If your SEO efforts can be spotted from space without a telescope, they're not "per Google guidelines" and they're not white hat. Look at this way...if you saw someone ranking on a search engine using an EMD and pulling tricks like that, would you as a competitor report that someone? You probably would, and you'd be right to do it.

You have no company address...as in a physical address. I'm not sure how you're processing your transactions, but I'm surprised you got a live merchant account without that.

"Hassle" is misspelled.

The bottom line is this site doesn't do anything to inspire confidence. You mention "unscrupulous street vendors", and I grew up with a few of those in my hometown...I honestly can't tell the difference.

Now that is very useful, huge thanks! Well my counter argument to babble text would be that when people shop they don't really care about the text. And if I put it on top it actually becomes in a way of shopping process. From my experiments that text is rarely read by visitors. I had a great discount code posted on the first line of one of the most visited page with products and after a month it wasn't used once...

As for the link in the footer I got to disagree with you, that link basically points to the site of the company that made it (that site, however, is not fully developed yet). Google doesn't like when anchor text is the same, so the choice is between not having a link or putting different anchor text.

Thanks a lot for your opinion, it was extremely helpful.
    Sergey

P.S. I couldn't find Cutts talking about low quality EMDs, but I swear I remember him talking about it in one of the videos during last 6 months.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    ...which is exactly why the text shouldn't be there. Your counter argument is the argument...it's not a counter at all. If people don't care about the text, it's not useful, and therefore it increases load time for no real reason and thus degrades the user experience...full stop. Take it off already.

This is the big problem with prevailing SEO logic...it's the same as most low-grade marketer logic. Sell sell sell, vested interest somehow equates to logical and rational thinking, we must increase our efforts and optimize and get those customers to turn into dollars and uhhh wait a minute that doesn't sound right ah well screw it sell sell sell sell SELLLLLLLL!!! Sorry partner...things don't work like that. You want to know why you're not selling on your site? It's because users are seeing that text and probably not reading it. Check the exit rate on those pages and it's probably over half. You're running Analytics, so I'd suggest to you that you could easily find out whether I'm right or not.

The whole explanation about the footer link doesn't make any sense and is more vested interest. Unless the company that made it also owns it, it shouldn't be there...and if the company that made it owns it, then it's incredibly misleading because the two sites don't have a thing to do with one another. The whole anchor text thing is more prevailing SEO logic and is just plain silly...there are tons of sites with similar anchor text (Adobe's famous "Click Here" comes to mind) and it doesn't hurt them a bit. It's going to occur organically. Google doesn't hate that. What Google hates...and somehow manages to retain an incredible amount of diplomacy in expressing this hatred...is being screwed with by wannabes pulling tricks that the "industry leaders" have been foisting on the world for the last several years without any regard to creating a trade that is fair for everyone.

So there's your problem...you're thinking like a typical Gen-Me marketer (to be fair, this does affect Gen-X to a lesser extent as well). Start looking at your site from both sides of the equation rather than just one.

Member #
    ...which is exactly why the text shouldn't be there. Your counter argument is the argument...it's not a counter at all. If people don't care about the text, it's not useful, and therefore it increases load time for no real reason and thus degrades the user experience...full stop. Take it off already.

This is the big problem with prevailing SEO logic...it's the same as most low-grade marketer logic. Sell sell sell, vested interest somehow equates to logical and rational thinking, we must increase our efforts and optimize and get those customers to turn into dollars and uhhh wait a minute that doesn't sound right ah well screw it sell sell sell sell SELLLLLLLL!!! Sorry partner...things don't work like that. You want to know why you're not selling on your site? It's because users are seeing that text and probably not reading it. Check the exit rate on those pages and it's probably over half. You're running Analytics, so I'd suggest to you that you could easily find out whether I'm right or not.

The whole explanation about the footer link doesn't make any sense and is more vested interest. Unless the company that made it also owns it, it shouldn't be there...and if the company that made it owns it, then it's incredibly misleading because the two sites don't have a thing to do with one another. The whole anchor text thing is more prevailing SEO logic and is just plain silly...there are tons of sites with similar anchor text (Adobe's famous "Click Here" comes to mind) and it doesn't hurt them a bit. It's going to occur organically. Google doesn't hate that. What Google hates...and somehow manages to retain an incredible amount of diplomacy in expressing this hatred...is being screwed with by wannabes pulling tricks that the "industry leaders" have been foisting on the world for the last several years without any regard to creating a trade that is fair for everyone.

So there's your problem...you're thinking like a typical Gen-Me marketer (to be fair, this does affect Gen-X to a lesser extent as well). Start looking at your site from both sides of the equation rather than just one.
    I respectfully disagree, thanks for your opinion and for time spent, really appreciate it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads