Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What do you think??? I want to know!!!

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Question What do you think??? I want to know!!!

I need some honest opinions! We are thinking about changing our website pages from our current flash slideshows to thumbnails that you hover with the image coming up in a box in the center of the screen. Kindles & ipads won't play our slideshows---ugh! What do you think we should do???? (I use dreamweaver for the webbuilding.) We want something simple, easy to navigate, pleasing to the eye, and FAST loading. Any & All suggestions welcomed!!!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I very, very, very rarely say something like this, because design is subjective and quite frankly I like looking at different things. I'm also not a great designer myself...I'm a coder. But I think this is dated and I don't like it.

Here's why:

1) The Flash gallery. I don't think Flash is about to fall off a cliff as far as usage goes...yet. But I do think it's on the horizon, especially since Big Myopic Corporation Adobe is in a catfight with Big Myopic Corporation Apple. They need each other, and they can't get along. Usually that means that other things start falling by the wayside. You could just as easily do a nice gallery with Javascript, and non-Javascript users would see it.

Added bonus: I wouldn't have to listen to the Black Eyed Peas.

2) The editor you're using. It looks like Dr*amw*av*r, and one of the older versions. It's creating bloated, dated code (i.e. tables) and it's not doing you any favors.

3) The color scheme. It's too dark. That...and your name is Shamrock Studio. No one seems to be named Shamrock, so I'd at least be using green as an accent color. Even a shamrock in the logo would make some sense.

Hopefully that gives you a starting point.
    shamrockgirl likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks for your honest opinion.
    (1) Can you give me some advice on a good editor to use? (besides DW)
    (2) Also, how would I even go about creating a gallery with javascript??? This is something I know nothing about but want to learn more about. Where should I begin?
    (3) I was taught to use tables & need to know a source to learn from, if they are not worthwhile.....where should I look to gain this knowledge?

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    1) DONT use any editor. Use your own hand written code. (like Game said I would recommend Notepad++)
    2) You dont have to. If you find good JS code you can just put it in if you need it fast. What your trying to do is called a LightBox.
    3) W3Schools Online Web Tutorials this will cover most of what you need to learn about dives. For more information just google "Div Layouts"
    Last edited by Andrew Yurlov; Aug 05th, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
    shamrockgirl likes this.

Member #
    Thanks for a great start....you're the best!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What Andrew said, although it's easier if you code using an editor with syntax highlighting. Notepad++ is a good example, and it's free.

He covered what I'd say other than that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    What Andrew said...
    Where did Andrew say anything? I am confused...
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Do you not see my post above? o.O
    Its the one with 3 things
    1)
    2)
    3)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Whoa there... Don't toss out the baby with the bath water.

DW has a feature the allow you to turn OFF design view... What's left ? A really powerful text editor.

it has "syntax highlighting" and depending on the version, it's pretty decent.

its got tons of helpful "suggestion" tools... So if you've attached an external CSS file... And you want to apply a certain specific style... Start typing, it will pull in and show you a drop down of available CSS styles to apply.

it has an integrated FTP tool...

i would never endorse of suggest someone to spend the money on DW when they are just getting into the biz... But I also wouldn't tell someone that already has paid it, that its useless and they should move to notepad++. Notepad ++ is a good editor ( not implying anything of the sort ), but that's kinda like telling someone who's paid to their car, they should just park it... Walk away from it, and find some other mode of transportation.

now... Here's the rub on DW ( and any other WYSIWYG editor ), if you use any of their "builtin tools" or "code generators", that is the big FAIL ... Sure they work, but they generally bloat code... Big time... Because they have to consider true "cross browser" compatibility when it generates the code... And they do that by building in 3 year old, redundancy and most times its no longer needed, but... It still generates the code for it... So you be up generating a bunch of useless code... That works ... But the extra weight it puts in the code and the "client" results in pages that take way to long to load... Because any particular browser may or may not need it...

bottom line... Learn to use DW... In "code view" only, stay away from anything DW offers to do for you... And you'll find that it is a really good solid "code editor"... With bells and whistles that help you stay organized... Create some version control and management...

ive been using DW since 2.0, and I haven't used "design view" in over 8 years... The only exception being when I'm working on a page with thousands of lines of code, I use the split screen to find the part of the page I need to get to... Then I turn off the design window... ( to me that's a benefit )... As some applications I built years ago can have 10,000 lines of code ( mostly asp ), but that can sometimes take a whole to find something unless I can remember the actual name of the function or "case"...

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Now... As for the site itself ... It does look kinda dated ... Why do photography sites gravitate toward the black background ? The fonts ? OMG... My eyes are bleeding ( sorry ... Just any font that makes me squint to determine what the word is )...

yes, it's pretty, but... Check out Google fonts ... Pick a couple that compliment... And aren't overwhelmingly "scrolly" ( is that a word )...

As for dropping the flash ( great idea )... There are way too many "cross browser" slide show and content "sliders" that can handle what you want to do, if you're not sure what CSS can do... Take a look at Stu Nicholls | CSSplay | Experiments with cascading style sheets | Doing it with Style , stu has tons of examples of what you can do with just CSS ... And he has another site that incorporates some JS with CSS for some really powerful stuff.

I'd also suggest, while you're in the learning phases... And you're on a windows server... Take a look at ASP or ASP.net and learn how to do, "included"... That way, you create a single file for the common sections "menus, header,footer, navigation"... Then you include it in your page... Then if a change across the site is needed in one of those ... You change 1 file... Upload and done...

' between DW and some includes ... Will make the design process and site management a whole different world for what you're accustomed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads