Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 2 Post By Andrew Yurlov

Thread: Personal Website Feedback

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Personal Website Feedback

Hi Everyone, first time user here, I hope to be using these forums a lot more in the future!

So I'd love some feedback on a personal page I whipped up showing source code and some design elements I've done. Feel free to be as specific as you'd like, I love constructive criticism.

I appreciate every piece of feedback, no matter how small.

PS: I don't know how to make the website pop up in that rating box at the top of the post?

Casey Small ∑ Main

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Actually, you're the only one that got it right so far.

What's that? You have skill? And you can describe what you did? And you apply knowledge? Dude, you can't possibly share this...you're breaking every single unwritten rule of the web designer.

Rule #1: Thou must only show pretty pictures.
    Rule #2: Thou must only use flowing, generalistic, and vague language.
    Rule #3: Thou must use corporate doublespeak in an attempt to make yourself sound more intelligent and simultaneously confuse the masses.
    Rule #4: Thou must have a layout exactly like every other web design site on the planet.

These are the rules and you have broken each and every one of them.

Seriously, I like it because you've tried to explain what you've done and you've tried to break down your experience. It's a lot harder to fake that than it is to screen capture the front page of a website and have it load in a lightbox. So well done on that. The content is largely there. The only thing I'd suggest that way is to check it over for past/present tense mixture.
    I worked on a database synchronization tool during my time with Management Systems at ADTRAN. We used two databases, one of which was the "parent" database and the other a backup.
    I don't hate your layout, but I'm not crazy about it either. Design is subjective, so I almost never comment on it. I just don't like dark layouts; they're harder to read. This is where you kind of have to follow along with the crowd a bit and go dark text on white or light...not because you want to follow the crowd, but for readability reasons (dark text on light is generally easier to read).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks "TheGame",

I really appreciate your feedback. I'm glad to know that I developed it breaking every unspoken rule of web design, but it turned out to be a good thing.

Most of the time spent designing and developing the page was actually just finding meaningful work samples and write ups about it. I really really appreciate you taking the time to actually look through the site and find things like that past/present tense mixture. Seriously, thanks.

As far as the layout, I think I'll have to experiment with a lighter texture for background and use a darker text. Also, while I have your ear, what is your opinion on the use of textures? I find myself using them more and more because I think it adds something to the site, but I also don't want to over utilize them. I'd like to think they are pretty subtle on my site.

Thanks again. Love the feedback.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    I just found a bug while playing around with your "interactive navigation" thingy. When you hover over the pie chart and move your mouse very quickly from blue to yellow a bunch of times, your blue and yellow get really huge.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    This is pretty good. One of the best I've seen on here in a while. Had a blast playing with the pie chart. Nice effect. And the resume right at the top is an idea I just might have to steal. Your code is pretty damn clean, too, which is a departure from what often gets posted.

A few things:

1) The DESIGN and DEVELOP pages have completely different header areas that are inconsistent with the rest. The LinkedIn and Resume buttons are gone, and so is your name. Don't get me wrong, they look good on their own, but the brand is lost on those pages, and someone coming in directly to those pages will have to hunt to find out who you are, and you can't count on them thinking to look at the URL.

2) The hard width of the design doesn't work on mobile at all. That isn't to say, "all websites should be responsive", as some would like to tell you, but being a designer/dev, IMHO it should at least "fit" on mobile.

3) GAME is right about the light on dark in this case. If we were just talking about the small amount of text on the main page, I'd say just up the font size a bit, and maybe use a thinner typeface. However, blocks of light text on dark strain the eyes after a while.

Textures are fine, if they work for the project. Google around, and I'm sure you can find an unlimited number of "30 Inspiring Designs with Textures."
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov View Post
    I just found a bug while playing around with your "interactive navigation" thingy. When you hover over the pie chart and move your mouse very quickly from blue to yellow a bunch of times, your blue and yellow get really huge.
    That's actually kind of badass looking...
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    That's actually kind of badass looking...
    Yea it does, I got it to be almost almost half the page but a bug's a bug. I don't think it was intentional.

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    haha yeah,.. I've actually noticed that bug.. I've spent a little bit of time trying to fix it but my efforts were fruitless and I figured it's pretty minor so I just left it.

@Ronald,
    1) - Yeah the headers on the develop/design pages did kind of bug me, in terms of it not being consistent between the rest of the site. I wanted to different it some way, maybe I can do something with the reflective type face like I did my name in and kick the big logos.. that way I can keep my linkedin/resume icons at the top..

2) - I needed something built asap so I whipped up something in a few weeks so I could slap it on my resume and on portfolio links on applications. When I get sometime I'm going to really build in the responsive aspect to it hopefully soon, maybe explore the media query options.

3) - Agreed with the eye straining. Maybe I'll either change the typeface a little bit, but more than likely I'll explore using a lighter texture with darker fonts.

Thanks a lot for the input! I really love the positive feedback, you guys are really the first people with an actual design eye to take a peak at my site, so I'm glad it's pretty well received. I hope to spending a lot more time on WDF!

Member #
    Yea it does, I got it to be almost almost half the page but a bug's a bug. I don't think it was intentional.
    Half a page. That's definitely a record. Maybe I should implement an easter egg and call it a feature. Have a hidden point system behind it. rofl!

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Caboose557 View Post
    Half a page. That's definitely a record. Maybe I should implement an easter egg and call it a feature. Have a hidden point system behind it. rofl!
    Well in that case I cheated. When I discovered the bug, I used my mouse recorder to record the my mouse movement over you pie chart, then I just set it to be 4x the speed and loop it. I would say it had the desired effect.
    Fireproofgfx and AlphaMare like this.

-Steve Jobs

Remove Ads