Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Seeking Advice For Music SIte

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Smile Seeking Advice For Music SIte

Our Website:
    NewAppetite[.com] is a way to buck the music trends. What it is, is a points-based music promotion and discovery collective where users get a chance to promote the music they think deserves attention. But if a song is on a Billboard or iTunes Top Singles chart, we remove it—making room for the music you don’t already know about. [And besides, those songs don’t need any promotion from us.]

So this is how it works:
    Users add songs to the site by copying a supported link to the upload list/system. Once added, the NewApp community can vote on the songs they like or dislike. All genres are supported for any kind of taste on NewApp. You can also promote the songs you like by sharing them [from NewAppetite] directly to your favorite social platforms—so there’s no copy/pasting.

The media player we hope to use will play like Pandora. It will have the ability to Autoplay songs and be able to switch songs seamlessly through custom playlists or what we have available on our top charts. Also songs/links will only have a shelf life of about two weeks. This prevents the music selection from being stale. We hope all of these features will give users an incredibly fresh experience like they’ve never had before with music.

Uploading, voting and sharing earn users points. You also earn points whenever somebody else up-votes a song that you’ve added.
    So why points? We think points are a cool way to help get people involved in promoting their favorite underground artists. It also helps provide analytical hard data that reflects what people want in new music. As an example of this data we can give starting musicians actual social media followers because the point system rewards both sides. Points can be used to discount items in our future store. The store will consist of music related items.

We hope to monetize by advertising new musicians on our featured page and on our front page. Specific record companies might be looking to promote new artists and we think newapp would be a great start.

Kind of like how kickstarter crowd-sources funding for startups, we want NewAppetite to crowd-source promotional services for artists that can’t afford it and for people who just want to hear some new music.

Our website is down for construction, but you can checkout how the site will look on https://angel.co/new-appetite

We are currently living in a start-up village free of rent because the owner liked our idea.

We also have a contact at Welcome | RocketHub, which can provide an amazing opportunity for funding.

If anyone is interested in the project as well, let me know! Other than that, we would love to hear others thoughts and concerns about the idea/site.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    So...where is this site?

And there are startup villages? I can't even begin to fathom that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    newappetite.com Its under construction right now. Essentially I just wanted to get some opinions on the concept and mockups.

We are apart of a program outside of KC called the KCSV. A couple of businesses have migrated here because of google fiber and it has created a good foundation for start-ups. If you want more information about it, please message me.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, I'm going to do something I don't normally do and put my *** firmly on the fence.

I like the idea. Since I know a few indy bands and I have a lot of musical tastes that fall outside of the mainstream, and if there are any talents that could potentially make it big and knock off the useless crap like Katy Perry and Justin Bieber in the process, hell, crank the amps up to 11 and bury the pop-tarts.

With that said, I think you're starting off on the wrong foot. I looked at the site and, even without the content, I can see problems with the direction. You're starting by using Drupal, which means that you're probably looking for plugins and things like that. If you want to grow, you have to build your own stuff. And if you're going to support all the indy artists you sound like you'd like to, you're not going to want any part of an open source CMS. Yeah, I know, scalable and robust and community and engagement and blah blah blah let's all blow smoke up everyone's *** and hopefully someone will buy into our crap...that's how marketing a CMS works. They're bloated garbage, though, and Drupal is no exception (although at least it isn't W*rdPr*ss...you stand an outside shot at doing something okay with Drupal. Not great, but okay).

The way you've explained the idea sounds like you've actually given it some thought, and because of that thought, it makes what would normally sound like bulls**t baffles brains sound like it's something that could work. You've even given the monetization some thought, although I'd look at advertising (e.g. Google Adsense) as well...you're probably not going to get much from "featured artists" and record labels. Record labels are notorious for penny pinching and squeezing every last dime they can out of something (see Spotify vs. Ministry of Sound).

I'm also not a big fan of the "startup" community personally. From what I've seen of it, "startup" is a euphemism for "I have an idea, I'll put something together, and everyone needs to love it because it's new before I give up on it about 6 months later." So I'm going to question your commitment in a way that I don't expect an answer to immediately...the answer will come once you've built it, you've struggled with it, you've put a few years and several man-hours into your idea, you've cultivated it, you've made it grow.

In other words, while you've got an interesting idea, it's all about the execution and I'm not sold that you have it figured out.
    newappetite likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    I appreciate the honesty and your advice will help tremendously. Currently, drupal is the only method in which I can get this done (at the moment). We have a member on the team that can offer his experienced skills with drupal. He's helping us save money on a budget that is very tight. I'd love to switch sooner or later, but at the moment it's just not an option.

I really do understand the dislike for startups. Hopefully we will soon be out of that phase and provide a free service that helps new bands. Glad you thought the idea was interesting though!

Remove Ads