Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Mr Connor

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    4.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Mr Connor

I would really appreciate some constructive criticism/feedback towards my portfolio. It took be about 2/3 days to build and is really an experiment of coloured denim.

Coded using: HTML, CSS, jQuery & PHP
    Last edited by Cranavvo; Sep 14th, 2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Just editing some information

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's very rare that I would say this, but I like this site. I don't love it, but I like it and it wouldn't take much for me to love it. And since you're obviously a child prodigy, I suspect you're capable of doing the things I suggest.

First of all...NO WORDPRESS! YES! YES! YES! YES!

It's about friggin' time someone showed up on here and posted a portfolio site, even a one-pager, and that looks like he actually hand-coded it himself. Most adults can't do this, and you're 15 years old. You have no idea how far ahead of the curve that puts you already, and you have all the time in the world to figure out all of the rest. So you're off to a really good start.

Now the two things that bother me, and the one thing that may bother others:

1) Your spelling. "Inquiry" is misspelled, as is "develop" (you used "developer").

2) This is a big one....your portfolio only has images of things you've built. The screen shots are okay, but the x in the top right gets cut off in Chrome and they're not enough by themselves. I want to know what you did on the site, how you built it, what problems you solved, etc. I also want to see a link to the site. That adds a ton of credibility when you want to get hired, and you're already behind the 8-ball being 15...a lot of people are going to judge you based on that alone, right or wrong.

The one other thing I would suggest, although this doesn't bother me personally, is the word "I" and its derivatives. Talk to your audience, not at your audience. "You" is a surprisingly powerful word, and you'll want to turn your "I" words into "you" words as much as you can.

I'd suggest replacing the pictures you have of you with something more professional and serious as well, particularly the top right image where your hand is over your mouth. You could also go the opposite extreme and post something so goofy and weird that it stands out, although that's a risky game. It's not without precedent, though. I know of a guy who has a picture of himself with a pirate eye patch on his LinkedIn profile. No, really, I do (you can't make this stuff up, folks.)

Anyway, you're off to a good start and you've definitely got some talent. I'm excited to see where you go with your skills in a few years, and I wish you all the best. Scream at me if you have any questions.

Everyone else...help this kid out. He's trying and deserves it.
    Cranavvo and Andrew Yurlov like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    First of all...NO WORDPRESS! YES! YES! YES! YES!
    I really hate WordPress. Developing for WordPress frustrates me; in fact when I tried to, I failed.

It's about friggin' time someone showed up on here and posted a portfolio site, even a one-pager, and that looks like he actually hand-coded it himself. Most adults can't do this, and you're 15 years old. You have no idea how far ahead of the curve that puts you already, and you have all the time in the world to figure out all of the rest. So you're off to a really good start.
    I believe that a 'Portfolio' is kinda' a resume/CV and should be just single-column/paged sites. You don't want masses of pages, just something simple and easy and something your clients/employers can scan for information.

Now the two things that bother me, and the one thing that may bother others:

1) Your spelling. "Inquiry" is misspelled, as is "develop" (you used "developer").

2) This is a big one....your portfolio only has images of things you've built. The screen shots are okay, but the x in the top right gets cut off in Chrome and they're not enough by themselves. I want to know what you did on the site, how you built it, what problems you solved, etc. I also want to see a link to the site. That adds a ton of credibility when you want to get hired, and you're already behind the 8-ball being 15...a lot of people are going to judge you based on that alone, right or wrong.
    Yeah, I stayed up one-night to do all the text so forgive me if my Lucozade in-take became sober. And I was actually going to do a "how you did it"; also with the FancyBox, I'm looking online for solutions, I've never came across this problem.

I'd suggest replacing the pictures you have of you with something more professional and serious as well, particularly the top right image where your hand is over your mouth. You could also go the opposite extreme and post something so goofy and weird that it stands out, although that's a risky game. It's not without precedent, though. I know of a guy who has a picture of himself with a pirate eye patch on his LinkedIn profile. No, really, I do (you can't make this stuff up, folks.)
    I just grabbed some images off Instagram because thats where I became, lets say, vain because of the filters. But I agree, vanity won't get you hired.

Anyway, you're off to a good start and you've definitely got some talent. I'm excited to see where you go with your skills in a few years, and I wish you all the best. Scream at me if you have any questions.

Everyone else...help this kid out. He's trying and deserves it.
    Thank you very much. This is exactly the criticism I needed.

Edit: I've adapted my site to support the criticism which I agreed on. Spelling was modified and hopefully now all is well.
    Last edited by Cranavvo; Sep 14th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Omg looking at this is like looking at a better version of myself when I was that age. I am 18 right now and I also started at 15. As Game probably remembers, my first website review post was absolutely horrible. You seem to be doing much better at that age then I was which is very impressive (I don't mean that its impressive that your better than me. Don't want to look like im boasting.) Looking at this I do have a few suggestions to make about the colors and things like that.

1) I love how you use the textures for the backgrounds of your divs. I myself am starting to get into doing that a lot. The one problem I have is that they are a bit to "dark" and the textures iteself is to "strong" is how I would put it. Try to make the textures (not necessarily the color) a little softer. This goes for every texture you currently have.

2) I don't think its ever a good idea to make your links bigger and bolder then the logo. Some people may disagree but that's just me.

3) Also what Game mentioned. You should put actual links to the things you've done. I would suggest to at least make each of your screen shots be links and hove some sort of hover effect. Maybe an opacity change?

I don't know if Game will agree but I can defiantly see you becoming like another MYIWDesigns. She does some awesome design work. Welcome to the forums! Its always nice getting some talented people joining the forums rather than the spammers I see everyday.

It's very rare that I would say this, but I like this site. I don't love it, but I like it and it wouldn't take much for me to love it. And since you're obviously a child prodigy, I suspect you're capable of doing the things I suggest.
    Was I every a "child prodigy"?

EDIT: I cant wait to see what everyone else thinks of this!
    @AlphaMare, Webzarus, Ronald, MYIW, FireProof, Etc.
    Last edited by Andrew Yurlov; Sep 14th, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
    Cranavvo likes this.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Yurlov View Post
    Omg looking at this is like looking at a better version of myself when I was that age. I am 18 right now and I also started at 15. As Game probably remembers, my first website review post was absolutely horrible. You seem to be doing much better at that age then I was which is very impressive (I don't mean that its impressive that your better than me. Don't want to look like im boasting.) Looking at this I do have a few suggestions to make about the colors and things like that.
    I know what you mean- I still have old templates on my hard drive that make me embarrassed.

1) I love how you use the textures for the backgrounds of your divs. I myself am starting to get into doing that a lot. The one problem I have is that they are a bit to "dark" and the textures iteself is to "strong" is how I would put it. Try to make the textures (not necessarily the color) a little softer. This goes for every texture you currently have.

2) I don't think its ever a good idea to make your links bigger and bolder then the logo. Some people may disagree but that's just me.

3) Also what Game mentioned. You should put actual links to the things you've done. I would suggest to at least make each of your screen shots be links and hove some sort of hover effect. Maybe an opacity change?
    The texture is denim and it was a very tricky decision whether to use it or not, however I loved the outcome of the ribbons thus this fuelled the main theme to be "denim and shadow".

I don't know if Game will agree but I can defiantly see you becoming like another MYIWDesigns. She does some awesome design work. Welcome to the forums! Its always nice getting some talented people joining the forums rather than the spammers I see everyday.

Was I every a "child prodigy"?
    Thank you very much, and I'm far from a child prodigy, I've seen better than this portfolio haha.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranavvo View Post
    Thank you very much, and I'm far from a child prodigy, I've seen better than this portfolio haha.
    I may have seen better but not at your age!
    Cranavvo likes this.

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I may have seen better but not at your age!
    My generation misunderstand how artistic the web is, that's why you don't see many high-school students using the web to its full potential. My friends only know that "I am good at computers," not that I am considered a "web developer," haha.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranavvo View Post
    My generation misunderstand how artistic the web is, that's why you don't see many high-school students using the web to its full potential. My friends only know that "I am good at computers," not that I am considered a "web developer," haha.
    Hahaha that is exactly how my friends think of me. They never fully understand what it is I love to do.

EDIT: Sometimes they ask me if I can help them with things like building computers or reformatting their hard drive. They never get that i'm not necessarily good at computers. I'm good with computers.
    Last edited by Andrew Yurlov; Sep 14th, 2013 at 04:28 PM.

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Hahaha that is exactly how my friends think of me. They never fully understand what it is I love to do.
    I remember when I was discussing 'Vocial,'(which is a project on my site) to my friends and they didn't understand what I fully meant so I had to be as vague as possible; my conclusion was "It's like Facebook, but not."

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Dude, you'll find that with a lot of people, not just your friends. You start talking about certain things and you might as well be speaking Greek. There are things I've said on here where maybe a half dozen people knew exactly what I was talking about.

But this is what I'm talking about. You guys are the future of the web design/development industry and you're engaged in a dialog that's very intelligent and insightful. You're both capable of giving and of taking well-intentioned and rational advice. If you two can keep that attitude, both of you will get everything you want out of the industry, and hopefully sooner rather than later.

As far as comparisons to MYIWDesigns, Shaneka's in a league of her own. She sees and knows things that no one else can possibly see and know, but she's also primarily a designer. Connor, you're more of a hybrid designer/developer, and if you can master both you'll be in high demand. I wouldn't compare you to Shaneka because that's not an apples to apples comparison.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads