Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Archictural Designer Website (Test Server)

Hi everyone,

Please take a look at one of my projects. Would love to hear what you folks think.

Industry Research
    Architectural design. Drafting. All that house building and addition stuff. Took a look at some local architect firms. One was made by a hotshot firm in NY, so that was pretty nice. I noticed a lot of architecture firm websites are 100% flash... WTF??

Design
    I noticed that a lot of architecture firms use flash for their websites. THE ENTIRE THING. Some were cool looking, but pretty much all of them were confusing and disorienting... and this is coming from a guy that looks at websites for a living. I read somewhere that the problem with architecture websites is that they treat their website like a creative project, instead of a functional and informative piece.

This website is meant to be minimalist. I originally had the whole thing in black and white (which is what I trend towards because I'm not that creative), but I played around with blue (as in "blueprint") and added a bit of green and then some red/purple, and I ended up with a triadic color scheme, emphasis on the blue.

Under the hood
    Yes, this is WrdPrs! I have given up on themes because I don't trust the people who make them and they clog my css with too much crap that I have to override, so I used a blank starter template and customized everything from there. Nowadays, a chunk of my work is customizing the admin UI (because WP admin UI out of the box sucks) to suit their level of need and to mod it accordingly.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. SUGGESTIONS WELCOME. THANK YOU!
    Last edited by RDesignista; Sep 14th, 2013 at 07:36 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Well, at least you're significantly customizing WP and hopefully migrating away from it completely. You hit on one of my major reasons for disliking...the admin is horrible. The blank starter template...smart, too.

Speaking of using things that are someone else's mess, I never noticed this before...but that Yoast SEO plugin isn't doing you any favors. It should generate a robots.txt file (or you'll have to do this yourself) instead of using the meta robots tag. Both will lead to your page not getting indexed or followed (which is smart because you don't want your client's stuff showing up on the web before it has to), but in order for the tag to be effective, compliant bots (e.g. search engine bots) have to crawl your pages to find out that they weren't really supposed to in the first place. That chews up bandwidth. The bots are also going to look for robots.txt first anyway, so you might as well have one for them. Alternatively, you can block the /hwl folder on ronswebsite.com/robots.txt. Either way, use the robots.txt file and not the tag. Bad tag. Bad, stupid plugin. Then again, that's typical W*rdPr*ss.

The one other thing I'd change is to put the phone number in the header. You've got room. Put it up so your fellow islanders can call him.

Some people will probably tell you that you should make this site responsive. I wouldn't for now, just because this guy's obviously an independent architectural designer and probably doesn't need a lot of leads to generate work. So I wouldn't bother.

Other than that, it kicks ***, dude. It's clean, it's easy to navigate, the colors are nice, and the guy looks like a guy in the Tabata class at my gym...which is a little weird because the guy in my Tabata class is Filipino. But it works.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Well, at least you're significantly customizing WP and hopefully migrating away from it completely. You hit on one of my major reasons for disliking...the admin is horrible. The blank starter template...smart, too. ...
    Thanks. Yes, I really need the phone number front, dead, center.

I did not know that about the SEO tool. But I like it so much. I'll have to research a work around.

Yes, I am doing a lot in terms of improving client satisfaction by improving the admin UI. Background on the login screen. Putting something actually helpful on the Dashboard. Rearranging, removing, renaming, highlighting admin menu items so that they make sense. I'll have to share a picture of it when I finish.

Oh and that classmate looking like my client even though they're different races... it's because everyone is brown here . Caucasian, Asian, Portuguese, Polynesian... once they get here, they all eventually turn brown... except me, cause I like to hang out in front of a computer screen on bright, sunny days.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I did not know that about the SEO tool. But I like it so much. I'll have to research a work around.
    Yeah, I can imagine why you would. It sounds like a good tool on the surface. But if they choke on something that simple, they're going to choke on something of consequence that will affect you and your clients, and of course when that happens guess whose fault that is? Not theirs! It's a wonderful SEO plugin used on thousands and thousands of blogs which means that they're right based solely on a popularity contest!

Here's a quick sign that something's wrong...the company who created the plugin refers to "on-site SEO". The Department of Redundancy Department has long since claimed "on-site SEO" as its own term and it should not be used in public context, as all SEO is "on-site SEO". So if you're looking for a workaround, avoid any plugin that comes from a company or person that uses nonsensical phrases. If you're ever not sure, run it by Mare, Ronald Roe, WZ and I...if the four of us can't find BS in it, you'll know you found something worthwhile (WZ alone will nail 99.9% of it before the rest of us even have to look).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads