Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Review of design exercise: Weather website

We have just completed this design and development exercise at my agency.

What do you guys think?

[EDIT: Moved URL to the "View Site" box. TheGAME1264]
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Sep 23rd, 2013 at 10:01 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Awesome little site you got going here, but here's some suggestions:

• Add a white top-bar with a '#F2F2F2' bottom-border and add a logo and move the "background" chooser into there;
    • Center your content and maybe choose background which aren't so harsh on your forecast background-colours
    • When adding a new location, it isn't saved, which might annoy returning users;
    • A little more content, like weather updates and road hazards.

But, again, awesome site! Keep it up!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's awesome on the surface, but I'm skeptical of one thing.

Current Weather - Canadian, U.S., and International cities - The Weather Network

Not that a font is copyrightable by any stretch of the imagination, but it's odd that you picked the same font that a major weather site used.

I like the start overall, but like Connor said you'll need a little more content. I would have suggested P.O.P., but his ideas are good too.
    The "Add Location" is somewhat awkward in that it's not immediately obvious that an input box is there. If there's a way you can style it with a subtle border and a translucent solid color fill without it fighting against your background, then you'd want to do that.

Like I said, it's a good start, but to me it's a bit too similar to The Weather Network and some other adjustments need to be made, that's all.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I think I understand why there's such little content; when adding a new location it adds another row of forecasts, but this is not what I would of done, I would've done a slider and kept it single-columned, and again, centered.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    So, I want to review your gadget on two aspects: 1. Look and 2. Utility

1. Look-wise, it's okay. I think you should subdue the backgrounds because they're quite bright and they distract the eyes from the actual attraction (the weather). One popular method is to overlay the background with a div (black, white or whatever) and set it's opacity to 20% or so.

2. Utility-wise, it could be better. When I look up a weather tool, I just want a clear, concise idea of the weather today, tomorrow, or the week and the ability to lookup another city. I've never seen a web weather website that truly makes me happy. Weather.com is ridiculous in that it takes me 2 clicks to find tomorrow's forecast. Yahoo weather is decent.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Overall I like the setup but I would make some changes in your colours and backgrounds because it's to dens now.
    Also when adding a new location it's wise to make some contrast in the entry field, now your typing on the background which can be better displayed by giving the label a background-colour

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Very clever site, I like it, would be better if you have gotten the .com extension name thou and not the .net url extension. The foreground (content) does need a bit more color saturation also would prefer if it was centered too, looks like its just offset from the left at the moment.

Need also a different favicon using the letter K at the moment. When I clicked the "click here and type location" it is not working for me (Firefox). Would be great if you could also provide information on the site where the temps come from too, this should give your site more credibility, although looking at the temperatures now they look correct.

Cheers
    IQ Catch Intelligent Dating for Smart People www.iqcatch.com

Member #
    Hi Karakas,

I like it.
    I have noticed it takes some time to switch from one day to the other.
    The add location doesn't seem to work and it disappears if I click out of it after a failed search.

Remove Ads