Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    10
    Member #
    37249

    Current Rating

    Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

    Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

    Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

    Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

    Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

    Rate This Site


    Advertisement (login to hide this!)


    You must be logged in to view this site

    Hobby Photography site

    I made this site with weebly and did some minor coding to mess with the format but it based on a template.

    I'd like to know how the site looks to people as friends/family wont really give me any useful criticism.
    Keep in mind this is just basically a way to display photos I take and not really a site to get business.

    thanks
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Sep 24th, 2013 at 06:47 AM.

  2.  

  3. #2
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,483
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    First of all, I like the fact that you were honest about how it was built and the fact that it is a template.

    As far as criticism is concerned, I'm not sure I'm going to be much more useful than your family, but I'll try. The photos look nice overall, but right off the top it's hard to know where I'm going. I see three squares but no idea what's behind each of them. This is known as mystery meat navigation, and it's something you want to avoid. You can have the pictures, but have some text as well to explain what's behind each of the three doors. I think I figured it out eventually (it had to do with the camera and/or the film...I'm guessing the camera), but it's not really clear.

    Alt attributes on your images...you need them. Alt attributes describe your images to those who can't see them, which includes both humans and bots.

    You might want to watermark your images. You never know who or what will steal them and claim them as their own.

    How to Ensure Your Watermarks are Secure - Plagiarism Today <-- here's a tutorial.

    I like your shots overall, though. You at least focus on the thing you're photographing and you get the right angle...for some reason, I see a ton of photographs that are at odd angles and out of focus.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  4. #3
    Senior Member Fireproofgfx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    839
    Member #
    31498
    Liked
    171 times
    Man I wrote this long thing and then I went to a different window and now it's gone, anyways I will make it quick. I agree with Game, the intro navigation needs text added to the bottom of the photos so people know what they are going to, rather than having to guess. I like the gray background but the background image is not needed because it's hard to see anyways and doesn't really do much for your overall site experience. I would recommend adding a pattern instead (and here is the link that I went to find for you and lost what I wrote earlier) Subtle Patterns | Free textures for your next web project. I love your LEETAKESPICTURES domain name very clever as that is what you do!! Oh and I would add your logo to the intro page as well as possibly a quick welcome/introduction write up.

  5. #4
    Senior Member RDesignista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Coconut Tree City
    Posts
    822
    Member #
    30921
    Liked
    123 times
    1. Redo Leetakespictures. the logo. It looks like one, long weird word. LeeTakesPictures would be better. Or LEE TAKES PICTURES. Or LEEtakesPICTURES. Anything.

    2. I've seen some photography websites. I think the greatest thing is their symmetrical design. To accomplish that design, I believe you need to make uniform size thumbnails. The varying sized thumbnails doesn't look clean to me. Also, a border around the thumbnails would be nice. I'm never a fan of plain photos with no padding, border, or shadow. Just my opinion.

    3. Those headers seem to load slowly. Check their size.

  6. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    10
    Member #
    37249
    Thanks for the tips guys I appreciate it.

    Seems as though its pretty apparent the splash page needs work so Ill tend to that.
    Thanks for the pattern link I like that idea.
    Once I make changes to the splash page Ill update you guys.

    I want to have a white border around each of the thumbnails very badly but I can not figure out how. The coding for that is hidden apparently so I can't find it in the editor. I can find it in the inspect element on the actual page but that's it. Any help on that would be super appreciated.

    All the headers are about 200kb. Aside from loading time to they work? I want them to work but they just don't seem right to me but that might be because I've been looking at it for too long.

  7. #6
    Senior Member RDesignista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Coconut Tree City
    Posts
    822
    Member #
    30921
    Liked
    123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leetakespics View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys I appreciate it.

    Seems as though its pretty apparent the splash page needs work so Ill tend to that.
    Thanks for the pattern link I like that idea.
    Once I make changes to the splash page Ill update you guys.

    I want to have a white border around each of the thumbnails very badly but I can not figure out how. The coding for that is hidden apparently so I can't find it in the editor. I can find it in the inspect element on the actual page but that's it. Any help on that would be super appreciated.

    All the headers are about 200kb. Aside from loading time to they work? I want them to work but they just don't seem right to me but that might be because I've been looking at it for too long.
    When you want to find CSS classes, use f12 in Google Chrome. Or use Firebug in Firefox. Firebug is so much better, but Firefox is slower than Chrome. On Windows, anyway.

    html body .galleryImageBorder, html body a .galleryImageBorder { background: #fff!important }

    I added !important to make it override, just in case it doesn't work.

    It looks so much better with white borders.

  8. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    10
    Member #
    37249
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista View Post
    When you want to find CSS classes, use f12 in Google Chrome. Or use Firebug in Firefox. Firebug is so much better, but Firefox is slower than Chrome. On Windows, anyway.

    html body .galleryImageBorder, html body a .galleryImageBorder { background: #fff!important }

    I added !important to make it override, just in case it doesn't work.

    It looks so much better with white borders.

    Do I need to add this as a div id? All of this stuff is hidden in the editor so I'd have to write it from scratch.

    I learned this stuff back in highschool like 10 years ago and have forgotten most of it so bare with me.

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    13
    Member #
    37295
    Hi leetakespics,

    I agree with something that has been already mentioned, the three pictures alone are not enough to explain what to expect from each one of them.
    I would add a short text underneath them.

    I don't like all that empty space above the contact form, I would get rid of it.
    Some of the pages take somewhat too long to load.

  10. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    10
    Member #
    37249
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeye View Post
    Hi leetakespics,

    I agree with something that has been already mentioned, the three pictures alone are not enough to explain what to expect from each one of them.
    I would add a short text underneath them.

    I don't like all that empty space above the contact form, I would get rid of it.
    Some of the pages take somewhat too long to load.
    the empty space is there because i was trying to keep all the pages uniform and that one does not have a header.

    which pages are taking too long to load?

    also if anyone can help me with this white border deal id greatly appreciate it. i actually have been trying to do it since day one but gave up on it after not being able to figure it out.

  11. #10
    Senior Member Andrew Yurlov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    1,306
    Member #
    27566
    Liked
    181 times
    All you do is find the images in your html, find their ID or Class, go to your css and find the matching ID or Class and in that type border: 3px solid #FFFFFF.
    Of course you change it to your own color and thickness...
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

    Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com