Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Richard S

Thread: Please check the newly created Portfolio

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    4.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    4.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    4.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    3.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Please check the newly created Portfolio

Hi,

I recently helped create the porfolio of a freelance artist.
    Can you please take a peek and tell me how the website looks?

[EDIT: Link moved to the URL box. TheGAME1264]

Am yet to add the favicon, will do it soon. :-)
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Sep 28th, 2013 at 09:13 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Taking a page from the playbook of Mare...and believe me, you're lucky I'm pointing this out and not her.

It looks like a WordPress theme without much customization to it. In fact, it looks like this theme. This means I'm going to think it sucks because I don't see any real effort or creativity put into it.

Now, you can take two approaches here:

1) You can try to insult me, get belligerent and defensive, and try to deflect the attention away from the fact that this is a marginally customized theme, or;
    2) You can prove me wrong by telling me in detail what you've customized about this theme and how you've made it original (and it's going to take a whole lot more than changing a couple of colors and some background textures).
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Taking a page from the playbook of Mare...and believe me, you're lucky I'm pointing this out and not her.

It looks like a WordPress theme without much customization to it. In fact, it looks like this theme. This means I'm going to think it sucks because I don't see any real effort or creativity put into it.

Now, you can take two approaches here:

1) You can try to insult me, get belligerent and defensive, and try to deflect the attention away from the fact that this is a marginally customized theme, or;
    2) You can prove me wrong by telling me in detail what you've customized about this theme and how you've made it original (and it's going to take a whole lot more than changing a couple of colors and some background textures).
    Actually you are correct.
    It is based on the pinblack theme with little bit of customization (colors/css and layout)
    So am not going to defend it, you're right.

The idea was to get a feel about the color combination and other related information.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Again, you marginally customized a template and put forth very little real effort. What do you expect us to comment on? "The look and feel"? It's pointless, since there's very little content there. The "related information"? What related information? There's next to nothing there. So what are we commenting on?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    IMO:

The background image is broken on the right.
    The header style doesn't fit with the rest very much and has a different width from the content.
    The textarea in the contact form is way too short.
    Pages take ages to open up.

I hope this helps!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I think your artwork is fantastic, I don't think your website dose it justice.

Seems too ''boxey" and the colour scheme is too dark. You really need a lot more of a lighter simpler site. Like I said I think your art is amazing and that needs to be the main focus. Let your art do the talking

I recently had a role (not as a designer, I developed the CMS) on this site -

Nicholas Haslam

I think that sort of light style would complement and show your work off better.
    dhenzel77 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Richard S: again, it's not his creation. He just hacked a template. Since WDF links aren't always obvious, here it is:

WordPress ? PinBlack Free WordPress Themes

Personally, I find it ironic that the "creative people" pick the most uncreative ways to build websites.

Remove Ads