Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: I am new at web design and need some advice for site

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.3 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.3 out of 5

Website Speed:
    2.7 out of 5

Compatibility:
    2.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.3 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

I am new at web design and need some advice for site

I have built a site to showcase my services as a freelance designer, and did not like the look of it, so I have just used a wordpress theme. I am starting to write blogs on my site to get some traffic to the site, however checking google anyaltics everyday, it is not a working. Apart from seo, how can I get traffic to my site and people interested in my blogs, or in my case find the blogs.

My site is [EDIT: moved to the "Update URL" box. TheGAME1264]
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Nov 04th, 2013 at 10:49 AM.

Member #
    Fair enough, just do not call me kid, I am not a kid, I take your advice even though I did not like the way you done it. I am mature enough to take it on the chin and move on. So yeah basically I did design a site myself, using HTML and Css then using the loops in php to spit out the content. I had built my own theme and deactivated it because i did not like it, that is the one you are seeing in the image of my portfolio. I have not charged anyone money for the other two sites, they were aware they are templates. So I am not ripping anyone off. Anyway that is all I have to say I am not going to sit and cyber fight, thats not me. So I have took your advice and thats that basically.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare View Post

Wow. Another "designer" who uses WordPress with a free theme -
    because he didn't like the look of his site when he designed it himself!
    How can you call yourself a designer?
    I am really getting sick of people who think that sticking a site up in Wordpress and using someone else's work on their site can qualify them to take money from people under what amounts to false pretenses. I'd like to know if you disclosed to your client, Beauty by Kelly that her site was created on a free open-source platform, using this free theme.

If I had been around when he posted this... I probably would have said almost the exact same thing... oh wait... I did previously when some guy with a WP site was advertising himself as a web designer and asking for opinions on his WP site to make it better...

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Im a newbie in this forum, but have been an Interaction Designer for a few years. I respect your (AlphaMare) position as an experienced, and probably one of the best web designers out there. However, I always viewed design as having a purpose. The "purpose" may vary in each context, but if I find a Wordpress theme that fulfils that purpose, is that not good design?

I wasnt a very good student, but the most frequent thing mentioned by my professors in interaction design was "learn whats out there, and change it only if needed".

I dont know who said this first but I appreciate this a lot - Good artists copy, great artists steal!

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by anilkumartgsb View Post
    Im a newbie in this forum, but have been an Interaction Designer for a few years. I respect your (AlphaMare) position as an experienced, and probably one of the best web designers out there. However, I always viewed design as having a purpose. The "purpose" may vary in each context, but if I find a Wordpress theme that fulfils that purpose, is that not good design?

I wasnt a very good student, but the most frequent thing mentioned by my professors in interaction design was "learn whats out there, and change it only if needed".

I dont know who said this first but I appreciate this a lot - Good artists copy, great artists steal!
    If that's good design, then I should be able to take this week's grocery store flyer, photocopy it, draw a happy face and a sun and a bunny on the photocopy, and call that good design. That is wrong on a multitude of levels. There's a reason Mare calls out "themers"...they lack originality and creativity.

That quote is just awful, although it does illustrate why graphic designers are one of the two most uncreative groups of people online (the other being Internet Marketers).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    According to you - design is a visual experience. Hence your extreme focus on WP themes/graphic design. Thats 10-20% of design for me. The rest is interaction, usability, intuitiveness, appeal, and solving the problem.

Creativity for the sake of being new is pointless. Creativity is magic if it achieves a state not previously achieved. This website is not the first forum website on the planet. But its still beautifully designed for me. It doesnt have to be "first" at something.

I am not JMW Turner, living in isolation and painting landscapes. I solve a client's problem. Hence, I first design the user scenario(s). Then I design, potential solutions. Thereafter, I design the ideal user interactions. Post that I design the interaction, before designing the interfaces. And amongst the last few things I do is designing the interfaces and the components. And each of these steps is iterated on 100s of times. And several, if not all, of those times, I am inspired, I copy, I steal and I amalgamate.

I am sure for you behance portfolios are not good designs because they were not the first grid shaped tile web designs. But I love them. I dont care if they got it from X,Y and Z. They are beautiful designs. They have great interaction, appeal and yes, appealing graphic design too.

I would encourage you to check out David Kelley's works at IDEO. You are probably extremely successful at what you do, but I think you will appreciate it.

As far as Mare's point on credit/telling the client - thats an ethics issue, not a design issue. As Dominic clarified, he made it for his wife who knew what was going on.

If you modify a flyer from the grocery store, and paint your face on it, its probably terrible design.Not just because it has your ugly face on it. But because it has no purpose - no goal. Regardless of our opinions on design, I hope you have also noticed that bullying really doesn't improve the message. Neither mine, nor yours. That is the only reason of writing this last point.

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    In fact I will also recommend Ogivly on Advertising. He is the "inventor" of modern advertising, one of the most creative fields. You will be surprised, or shocked, at his focus on 2 messages:

1. Copy and evolve,
    2. Solve client' problems first, design later

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    I didn't think it was possible, but your comments managed to give me a mild headache. I don't mean a figurative headache...I mean that the front of my head is pulsating slightly right now.

I never said design was a purely visual experience. I don't know where you got that from, but I don't see Mare saying that, and as someone who is primarily a developer you certainly didn't read that from me. The reason we focus on themes specifically is because the usage of a theme both indicates a lack of effort on the part of the designer and suggests the lack of a unique selling proposition on the part of the client. If a client's site uses a theme and looks similar enough in nature to all of the other sites in a genre, that's something people will clue into.

This is also something real designers should avoid. Selling professional creative services using templates and not offering any creative to add to them is just plain wrong, and it's something that several of us in here have a problem with.

I'm also not an advocate for creativity for the sake of creativity, but no one's talking about that either.

Quite frankly, I think you're just trying to make apples-to-oranges comparisons to rationalize taking things from others, and you're not doing a very good job of it. You openly admit that you steal things; no matter how you try to explain that, you're still stealing things, and that in no way is creative, nor is it design.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    and obviously you are not capable of understanding either the quote, or my message, to understand what "steal" means..

Member #
    Liked
    2784 times
    Then suppose you explain it to me.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I didn't get a headache but anilkumartgsb's message was lost in translation, trying to equivocate design on all different levels. When it really comes down to the overall design of the site or product that you are offering your client that is truly up for discussion. Game really isn't the graphic/design guy, he is a developer so he cares more about the coding not so much the look or purely visual experience.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads