Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

First Web Ste (Please do not hurt to much, lol)

This is my first site (self taught). I know I will learn more through trial and error. Would appreciate any suggestions for improvement.
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Nov 12th, 2013 at 06:15 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    To be honest, there's really no design to it, save that the menu bar background color kinda matches the page background. Aside from that, it looks like text haphazardly laid on a generic web builder theme.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I understand that you're very new at this, and probably don't want to become a coder or developer as a career, but if you're going to use a platform to build your site, I would suggest trying out Wordpress over the site builder you are using.

Wordpress has a huge user base and there is a lot of support out there - also, you can get some really nice themes, specifically ones built for churches, and lots of them are free. You may see me posting elsewhere on these forums that using a purchased theme is not a good idea - I mean those criticisms specifically for people who are doing so and trying to pass themselves off as developers. In your case it would be a very viable solution, and a way to get a much more up-to-date looking site that you can maintain quite easily.

Do a Google search for free religious Wordpress themes`` - you`ll find a lot to choose from. Or check out some of the themes here: 12 Excellent Church WordPress Themes for Religious Websites | WpBestOf
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What Ron said.

I hate to go where I'm about to go on top of that because it sounds extremely jaded on my part (more than usual for me, anyway), but I have a tough time believing the content of this site. We've got a woman who claims to be a doctor, although the medical field is unspecified. She lost one daughter to a drug dealer after battling addictions and a second who contracted Hepatitis C as an RN working with street addicts. Given that the two most common ways in which Hep C is spread are sexual intercourse or sharing of needles and other activities involving contaminated blood, it's hard for me to believe with what little we're told that daughter #2 didn't die as the result of some addiction herself, or at least some behavior that is irresponsible in nature (I suppose it's possible that she got accidentally stuck with a needle in the course of her RN duties, but given the rest of the story I tend to doubt it).

I can't speak for others, but I come from a very long line of drug and alcohol abuse, and usually the substance abuse was a masking agent designed to repress a deeper emotional problem. This problem in turn was usually familial in nature, which means that based on what I've seen that makes the mother at least partly responsible for the passing of her daughters. If it wasn't the mother, then at least another relative (e.g. the father) was likely involved somehow. Rather than deal with the problem, at least one of them turned to drugs.

If something else happened, then there are some questions that would need to be cleared up:

1) If the mom was a doctor, what did she do to try to prevent her daughters from ending up in the situations they did?

2) What happened to the two girls? You need a whole lot more detail and transparency than what's there now, and this is where a lot of side questions come into play, such as "did the mom attempt to get the one daughter into a treatment facility" or "why wasn't the known drug dealer arrested"?

3) What exactly does this ministry do that will somehow prevent these tragedies from happening again?

4) What is it that we're supposed to do now that we've read the story?

I know that's harsh, and you said to be "gentle". The problem with being gentle is that there isn't a way to do that and convey lack of belief and trust.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thank you all for your honesty and I know I have a lot to learn but with the little I knew at the time it was a shot at something.
    Thank you Alpha for the site and the information. The link was really good an I will be digging deeper. About a week ago I installed WordPress on my computer (OS Windows 8.1). I was attempting to learn to get around but problems kept arising (not sure if it was the computer or User.. probably the later). I was also not sure if I was having problems because I did not have a Host.
    TheGame, I hear what you are saying I know there should be more detail, but not sure how much in depth we should have gone. The woman you are speaking of does not have Medical Degree she has a doctorate in business and she likes to use the title. Her daughter Mel was in and out of Treatment centers most of her life and her daughter that was an RN received Hep C through sex. There is a lot more behind Lauren's life also, but that's another story. As far as addiction I was heavy into drugs and alcohol myself for many years so I am somewhat familiar with where they were at. As far as the woman in the story, she is my wife.
    To get back to the site, I really want to learn enough so in the near future I can produce a site with the WOW factor. I know it will take a lot of time and focus, but I am willing to give it my all.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    W*rdPr*ss on a Windows machine is fairly simple, as long as you have PHP and MySQL installed as well. You can follow the whole "five minute install" thing they promise and since WP includes a web.config file, it will work. The challenge isn't in WP...it's in getting PHP/MySQL configured correctly. So if you're having issues, check those two installations first.

That may be your wife, and I understand why she likes to use the title (it adds credibility under normal circumstances)...but in this case, it may be hurting her more than helping her. I read it from the standpoint of an outsider and thought of a medical doctor. So that's something you'll want to clear up, as others may read it the same way. Again, that's part of being as transparent as you can be, and more detail is better. Maybe not on the home page, but you can add some pages for that.

That also comes back to your call to action. What is the point of this site? What is it that you want people to do besides read a story? Check into a drug rehab center? Donate to a church? What's the goal here? This is something else you need to define and work toward.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hi. Here are some quick and easy tips for you:

1. Don't use solid blue text. Solid blue is a very rough color and doesn't look good anywhere. I recommend a dark grey to keep things simple. If you need to highlight text, use underlines, bolds, or use a differnt color. But not solid blue. How about teal? Or orange?

2. Use a different background. That background looks murderous. That's what comes to mind. A crimson sunset has an opposite feeling of a sky shot or a regular sunset. Use morguefile.com or freerangestock.com to find a better sunset image.

3. Use paragraphs and headings. No one likes reading big blocks of text. Break it up. Use headings to summarize blocks. It'll look prettier and it'll look easier to read.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thank you TG, I tried to explain about the title and full purpose of the site so now that I have a 2nd opinion I may be able to convince her...ty.
    I also think I will reinstall WP back into my PC and do some training. I will let you know how it turns out. Will I need a Host just to train? I do not plan on publishing what I work on just want learn my way around.
    RD, thank you so much for the tips. I think I will let my wife know I will be making some changes over the weekend.
    Have a great Wednesday everyone.
    We are suppose to be a having a Government Grid Drill today and tomorrow, hope all goes well.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    If you're wanting an exceedingly easy way to get WP up and running on a Windows machine, check out MS's WebMatrix. Pretty much a 2-click install process. Then fill out some info like the site name, user name and password and you're up and running.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Thank you Ron. I'm going to be installing WP this weekend, but curious am I going to need Hosting company just to practice? Also, I was going to go with the 3.5 version, is this the most recent? Thank you!
    Tom

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads