Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Review my first actual client - senior moving website

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    2.5 out of 5

Accessibility:
    2.5 out of 5

Website Speed:
    2.5 out of 5

Compatibility:
    2.5 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    2.5 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Review client site - senior moving website

Please don't name the site or post actual URL here. Wouldn't want this in search results!

This is my first real professional paying web design/development client. I am using "aphont" upon their request but it was just too ugly to use for the body as well so I used a more normal font.

Using a CMS with a custom theme from scratch. I am not into using templates. Any feedback whether "I like it" or "horrible start over" is appreciated. It's going to have a dedicated mobile version. I do not like this ridiculous fad of responsive design.

Thank you so much in advance!
    -noodles415

PS: Just wanted to say that I coded it to work well in Chrome so far. As such, it also works well in Safari. Currently downloading a newer version of Opera to try that but I can see the site is messed up in Firefox and IE. Perhaps I could get some help with that?

Edit: works fine in Opera as expected. To summarize: works in Webkit but header is messed up everywhere else!
    Last edited by noodles415; Nov 15th, 2013 at 03:25 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Noodles,

Welcome.

Some notes I have:

- If you're going to present this draft to a client, fill it up. Doesn't matter if they did not provide you with images or text, just either scrape things off Facebook, their current website, or a brochure. Alternatively, you can use filler images and lorem ipsum. But don't have it empty. The client needs to be able to visualize how it'll look completed.

- Footer credits: don't include yourself if your own website is not finished. Also, if you do include a credit link, make sure you put this in your contract, cause it's basically advertising for you.

- Paragraphs: please use paragraphs to break up those large chunks of text. Or insert an additional break after each paragraph. They look unsightly and furthermore, they discourage people from reading it because they see a huge blob of text.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Thank you so much for the post!

I have added to the Find Answers page and Resources page. I will be designing the Home and Services for Seniors pages more fully with images and whatnot before showing to the client. I'll ask for feedback with those specific pages when I've done that.

I will certainly have my own website at least partially finished before showings this to the client. It'll take a couple days and my site for myself is almost done. The client knows that I am putting that in the footer and if it bothers them I will remove it, no problem.

How do you advise that I clean up the paragraphs? Do you think the site is alright otherwise? Would some sort of gradient make the navigational menu less boring looking?

Last thing I can think of right now is why is the current page in the menu not .current? I have that added to the code and I'm fairly certain that's the class the CMS assigns.

Thanks again,
    -noodles415
    Last edited by noodles415; Nov 15th, 2013 at 04:49 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First off, you sort of missed the point with responsive design, although I think you may have a valid underlying point. Personally, I think the ridiculous fad is that people use cell phones and tablets to view web pages when they're not in a position where they have to do so (e.g. sitting on a couch at home). A desktop and/or a laptop is far more productive, especially for anyone trained as a typist. Typing on a cell phone keyboard is kind of like trying to grab a fork while pretending you have leprosy and that your hand's just about to fall off. It's awkward, it's cramped, and again it's unproductive in relative terms. The problem is that in many cases between 35-40% of traffic to a site comes from these devices, and responsive design deals with that behavior pattern. Given that your site targets seniors, your mobile traffic percentages may be much lower, but be prepared at some point to alter your layout to take the devices into account. Again, I hate using cell phones and tablets for Internet purposes, but the reality is that a very large percentage of people don't and that can't be ignored no matter how hard we try.

Second, I've never seen "aphont" before, but it's not showing up. You may have it downloaded on your computer and that's why you can see it, but most people won't be able to. I see Times New Roman in the menu. You're not serving the font correctly.

If this is it, however:

APH: APHont: A Font for Low Vision

I would suggest in this case that your client is correct and is teaching you something without either of you realizing it. A lot of seniors have vision problems, and you're going to have to take that into account with the layout. Larger fonts are in order along with sans-serif fonts, as is high contrast (more on that in a bit). The problem with APHont, assuming it's the one linked to above, is that it's not licensed for commercial use...meaning your client cannot use it on a website. It's meant as a "reader" font, as in screen readers and things of that nature. If you want a bunch of fonts you can use for free (legit), go to Handpicked free fonts for graphic designers with commercial-use licenses. | Font Squirrel . You're bound to find one there that your client will be okay with.

You've covered the high contrast issue well in the body, and the menu contrast is "okay", but the latter could be improved by darkening the background about 5%.

Below you'll find a link to a tool l that will help you calculate the foreground / background ratios required to make your site as accessible as possible. The "large text" rule is somewhat vague and subject to interpretation, but I use the "default text size rule"...if it's at least 14 pixels when the browser is at its default text size (87.5% percent equivalent...I hate ems for text sizing), that's fine. Your goal should be to meet the AAA accessibility standards (AAA being the highest standards for accessibility worldwide). Again, keep in mind that you're targeting seniors...accessibility for a site like this is at a premium:

Colour Contrast Analyser (Win/Mac) | The Paciello Group - Your Accessibility Partner

The footer thing isn't about whether it bothers the client...it's whether or not it hurts the client. Designer credit links can only hurt the client e.g. search engine penalties for linking out to irrelevant content, loss of potential customers who leave their site to go to yours; the latter only needs to happen once. At no point can they give the client any positive benefit. There is no argument whatsoever that counters this, and it's one of the worst practices in the web industry (which is saying something). Forget contracts, forget whether or not the client approves it...just don't do it. Period.

That's about all I have to say without actual content being there.
    noodles415 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Wow, thanks for all that information!

I fixed the APHont problem so you can see it. Do you like it? I know about FontSquirrel and have used it previously but the client wanted this. Shall I ask them if I can use a different font?

Edit: I'll use Open Sans, that one's really nice.

I'm not at home right now and will install that program on my PC to see if it's good at the Color Contrast Accessibility when I'm back in my home office. That said, that orangy color used in the navigation and logo (logo is client provided and I can't change it) was provided by the client and that's the color scheme they want to use. I went outside of their color scheme for that background texture because the light blue they gave me for the background turned into light puke color when I used it for the background, but anyway I can't change that.

Regarding the content's white background color, what's a good one to use there to make it look better?

It bothers me when clients give me five colors and tell me just to use that. After all, they are hiring me, right? But there's not a lot I can do about it.

I'll have the home page and services page designed with the images and other elements tonight or tomorrow, and will post back when I've done that. Perhaps it will look less boring then. But do you have any ideas to make the site less boring? You gotta agree it looks really boring. Whether it's because there's no content or because I just did a lame job is yet to be determined but I really want this site to be excellent so any assistance would be appreciated.
    Last edited by noodles415; Nov 15th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Put content in and then it can be evaluated better. That would be my suggestion there.

As far as the font goes, it's not whether I like it or you like it or the client likes it that's at play here. What's at play here is whether or not it can legally be used. In this case, it probably can't. Some fonts can't be used for web purposes from a legal point of view, and this appears to be one of those fonts.

And the white background is something you should leave alone if you can. It provides the greatest degree of contrast at the light end of the spectrum.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Alright, well I've changed the font Both the client and I agreed on Open Sans.
    I'm working on the home page right now. I put a Chinchilla on it.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Alright I have added a lot more content and made some changes. Some feedback would be fantastic before I show it to the client.
    Thanks a bunch,
    noodles415

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I see a bunch of lorem ipsum copy, a sample PDF, and a bunch of animal pics. Nothing that would relate to the content of the site.

So what are we giving feedback on?

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Hi, I see what you mean about the content. I'm waiting on the client to provide me some text and images. They told me they'd send it as soon as they're done with it.
    But meanwhile do you think the background is good, the navigation looks nice, the colors of the overall design work well, the spacing of the items is right, the font is a good choice.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads