Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Robotics Design

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Question Robotics Design

Hi, I'm currently the designer for my high school's robotics team website and I was wondering what you guys think of the design? Right now it's only the home page that's designed, but I was looking for reviews/thoughts on the design before I move on forward.

(I know the navbar is gltichy, I'm trying to fix it).

Team 3157 | Eastridge Robotics

The criteria for the website is:

"Develop a team marketing strategy complete with rationale for digital channels/devices to disseminate content. Digital media still includes websites, but can and should be augmented with mobile apps for disseminating content including social, viral* and rich media."

"Submission will be judged on the following criteria:

Strategy
    Target right audience with right message
    Develop a clear strategy for choice of distribution channels and content creation
    Must use at least two channels. More channels are not necessarily better

Overall Experience – Ensure content and channels fit together in look and feel
    Are you promoting a positive impression of FIRST and its mission?

Visual Design
    Appealing
    Easy to read
    Visual fit with FIRST – Even though the team has its own identity, is it clear that this team is a part of FIRST?

Navigation – Content organization and prioritization
    Simple
    Intuitive

Content – Is information compelling and optimized for consumption. More than just text. (Think about using sound, video.) Good content should be engaging, relevant, appropriate
    Was original content created?
    Content is kept up-to-date and refreshed
    Action-oriented
    Use of live links
    Appropriately cited and not infringing on others’ trademarks or copyrights

Functionality – Content loads quickly. Works with multiple major browsers
    Ease of use
    Efficiency – Able to complete required tasks easily
    Utility

Engagement
    Did your digital media engage an audience to find out more about your team or about FIRST?
    How did you track the results?"

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First of all, who wrote that criteria, dude? That's the criteria list from Clueless Corporate Web Douche #5.

"Did your digital media engage an audience to find out more about your team or about FIRST?" Hopefully you've got more than a couple of weeks for this assignment...if not, you're in for a fight.
    "Action-oriented content". What is that?
    "Digital media still includes websites, but can and should be augmented with mobile apps for disseminating content including social, viral* and rich media." Yeah, because you can just go ahead and say "viral media" as if it's a thing that can be created using some generic formula and isn't at least largely random.

I seriously think you should go up to whoever that person is, take your course textbook, and crack him/her in the back of the skull with it. That might knock some sense into that twit. That list is all kinds of wrong.

As far as the site goes, I'm assuming that the glitch is both the logo being cut off at the bottom and the jerky nav, so I won't go any further.

The top graphic has a great call to action. Tells you what the thing's about and invites people to learn more. I'd keep that.

The rest of the copy is where you have a bit of an issue, although to be honest I'm not sure how to solve it. It's too "I" focused. If you want people to be interested in something, you need to make it appeal to them. Talk to them. Use "you" words in your writing. For the "Social" section, for example, you could write something like "FIRST has an active presence in social media networks, and we can help you build the robot of your dreams, interact with your fellow engineers, and make connections with sponsors and suppliers, thus giving you more access to robot resources." (Reword as appropriate...do not take that verbatim because it's intended for illustrative purposes only).

Do that with your copy and I think you'll be on to something. Might take a few tries to get it right (hopefully you've got time) but then you'll be on to something.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads