Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

A little ipad presentation app (jquery mobile)

Hi everyone,

I decided to try making an app last month. I don't know any programming languages like xcode, so I used app frameworks based on jquery mobile. I made an app for a friend's business. Spent only 3 days learning and doing it. I can't say it's finalized, but it's definitely draft ready. I also don't own a tablet or touch screen device, so if you could comment on your own touch screen experience, that'd be wonderful.

The framework
    I used Jquery Mobile. I actually started out with Sencha Touch, but I was waaaay in over my head with that. Sencha, despite being based around web languages is very programming heavy and requires all these javascript includes and using Command DOS... and I am just not comfortable doing that stuff.

The purpose
    I just wanted to make something simple, so I started out with a presentation app. No database, no dynamic content, just plain old presentation.

The challenges
    My big challenge is that I have no app experience. I don't own own a tablet or a smart phone. I've never played around with apps. I've never helped developed apps. I don't know really how to program. And I'm weak at javascript. I'm sure there are plenty of important best practices for apps that I am oblivious to.

The development
    Apps are interesting because you don't need to worry about typical website things like footers, privacy policies, and all those other things. Oh, and you don't have to worry about backwards compatibility because all tablets will show your CSS3 and HTML5 goodies with no problem. So you can spend more time focusing on UX and just making stuff look cool. It's a nice change of pace from websites. For the development, I was just doing basic HMTL and using CSS3. Not too much javascript work required. I don't really know how to make things dynamic yet, so if you view source, you'll be able to see 100% exactly what I have.

For the future
    In terms of things I want to add (but don't know how to do yet), I want to add a loading thing that will show a loading gif while the images download because right now it slowly loads the bg image and it looks ugly. Code-wise, I want to make a little database for the inventory and have a php loop generate the items. I also want to add some logic to my navigation buttons so that they'll only show when appropriate (example: back button doesn't show if on 1st slide).

Feedback is appreciated.
    Last edited by RDesignista; Dec 11th, 2013 at 04:06 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    So I finally got a touchscreen tablet (I sold a motorcycle for cash and a Galaxy 8.9) and was able to test this app out...

PERFORMANCE SUCKS

Both the slide and the menu buttons have a long delay.

Will look to enhancing this in the near future.

Remove Ads