Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Looking for opinions on my Gaming Website

I recently published the preview version of my website GameLyte and I am looking for feedback or opinions. Specifically I want to know how you guys feel about the overall design and also page loading speed. You can leave feedback here or on the website by clicking the "leave feedback".

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    The content slider background is blue. Solid blue is a harsh color. You rarely see any websites with it. Most blue websites tend to use softer blues, such as on this website.

There is no individual padding at all. From the content to the edge of the container, there is so little space. Under NEW ARTICLES, there is no space between the title and the description (and the titles should be same or greater font sizes than the description). Everywhere there are lists of items, there is just a sliver of space between them. And I'd recommend a line-height of 1.5em.

So my opinion is that it looks a bit harsh on the eyes because of the strong blue and because things are too close together with too little breathing room. You don't need a lot of padding, but you need at least a little. Go check out Video Games Reviews & News - GameSpot . I want you to compare the spacing for your site to theirs. You may not care for it, but it's all for the benefit of your readers to be able to read better.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RDesignista View Post
    The content slider background is blue. Solid blue is a harsh color. You rarely see any websites with it. Most blue websites tend to use softer blues, such as on this website.

There is no individual padding at all. From the content to the edge of the container, there is so little space. Under NEW ARTICLES, there is no space between the title and the description (and the titles should be same or greater font sizes than the description). Everywhere there are lists of items, there is just a sliver of space between them. And I'd recommend a line-height of 1.5em.

So my opinion is that it looks a bit harsh on the eyes because of the strong blue and because things are too close together with too little breathing room. You don't need a lot of padding, but you need at least a little. Go check out Video Games Reviews & News - GameSpot . I want you to compare the spacing for your site to theirs. You may not care for it, but it's all for the benefit of your readers to be able to read better.
    Thank you for the feedback! Others are saying the thing about the harsh blue and gray colors and that my pages are to scrunched together. I think I will need to focus more on user experience when I am redesigning the website.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Yes, aesthetic elements in website development are important, even if you're not a graphic designer. I don't consider myself very design-oriented, but I have to understand the basics in order to deliver a website that is functional AND looks at least decent.

Tip: when talking with prospects, one of the things that most of my clients mention is that they don't want a site that looks "busy." Not sure if that's just a term where I live, but it means that elements need their own breathing room.

Good luck.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    It looks like you're off to a good start. Before you keep going, you really have to ask yourself what you bring to the table versus all the other gaming sites out there? What new do you bring to the table?

Also, I'd fill something out for the "Coming Soon" areas on Top Discussions and Weekly Poll ASAP. I understand this is the "preview" version of the site, but hopefully it wouldn't be too difficult to start up some discussions to fill in there and slap a poll in. Communities around websites are one of the strongest assets you can have, it's important they feel engaged.

The design does seem a little bland, but overall pretty clean and fast loading. I'm not getting any headaches looking at it like I can from other super-flashy gaming sites. I'd work on some of the line height on the text to keep it easier to read. Especially under "New Articles" ...the line height for the descriptions seem too smushed together.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    it needs more color for separation nothing sticks out to me it feels bland atm work more on it giving it some love, some eye candy to keep gamers on your site
    Last edited by nufftalon; Jan 24th, 2014 at 08:13 AM.

Member #
    web design encompasses many different skills and disciplines in the production and maintenance of websites. The different areas of web design include web graphic design; interface design; authoring, including standardised code and proprietary software; user experience design; and search engine optimization. Often many individuals will work in teams covering different aspects of the design process.
    [Edit: Link removed per forum rules. AlphaMare]
    Last edited by AlphaMare; Jan 24th, 2014 at 03:33 AM.

Member #
    Thank you all! Everyone is saying the same thing, I need to re design the website with a less bland design. I recently finished my log in, friend, and upload systems and can start working on the front end again. You guys made me realize that I should look more into UX and UI design. Thank you all very much for opening my eyes!

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Design overall is not to bad, I see you are going with the Pinterest feel to it. I would increase the line spacing between the text and also change the colors on the footer, the white on greys are a bit hard to read, as it is the footer you can go a lot darker here. Don't forget the favicon too.
    IQ Catch Intelligent Dating for Smart People www.iqcatch.com

Remove Ads