Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Very Fresh and New Site

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Very Fresh and New Site

Hello everyone,

I would be thrilled to have a few people check out my site at [EDIT: link moved to the URL box by TheGAME1264] and let me know what you think about the general layout and the idea behind the website which can be found under the about page ([EDIT: About Us link removed since it's part of the site to be reviewed). Be as critical as you want because you aren't going to hurt my feelings any.

Cheers!
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Jan 06th, 2014 at 06:46 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Well...it's different. I'll give it that. Not because you're two guys who know nothing and have a goal to make huge profits and build The Next Big Thing (there are at least 100 such threads on this forum alone from people like that), but because you're blatantly honest about knowing nothing and are willing to subject yourselves to a ton of potential humiliation in the process.

The one thing I noticed is that you're affiliate marketing for BlueHost. I'm not sure this is part of your "Great Idea", but BlueHost is an EIG host. That means it's part of a clueless paranational organization that swallows up a number of smaller hosts and attempts to put them under their "umbrella" of "top notch reputable super happy fun terrific hosts" that just plain suck and can't offer legitimate support. The only reason you haven't been negatively affected by your choice of host (yet) is because you started after their second blackout in 5 months (see the Wikipedia article for more info).

GoDaddy...see BlueHost. They're a decent domain registrar, but the only host I've ever seen that has lost a database...and by "lost" it, I mean they deleted it and had no idea how to recover it. I took a backup before that happened, but unfortunately the backup was corrupted. That meant I had to completely rebuild the database in question. That's an unforgivable sin.

The rest of the feedback I have depends on the future site content.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks for the review GAME1264. I've taken some notes on what you said about the affiliate sites and I'm currently doing research to figure out what I'm going to do. Again, thank you so much for your input and I will be looking forward to future posts from you.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Please, if you're going to post a WordPress site using a free theme from wordpress.org, , then say so.

Then tell us what you've done to modify the theme, so we can review your work, and not that of the theme designer.
    ninegearnation likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I really love your concept. I could see people wanting to follow your blog to see what happens in your pursuit. It could end in a huge success or in total failure, and we get to follow you on your path. If done right, this could be very fascinating. Sounds like a new reality show in the making.

Now to the actual design, it is OK, seems a little dry for your personalities. You come across as young and adventurous. I do not get that feeling from the site. It is a good business site, just doesn't seem to have any real personality. I also would be concerned with the color of the text. Seems hard to read, or maybe that is because I am not young (and need reading glasses). Just something to take a look at.

Member #
    Please, if you're going to post a WordPress site using a free theme from wordpress.org, , then say so.

Then tell us what you've done to modify the theme, so we can review your work, and not that of the theme designer.
    Thank you for that clarification and we will be more specific as time goes on as to what we are trying to get input on. Yes the theme is a free one that we picked off the top because it looked decent and we really just wanted to see our content get posted. We are currently working with our web programmer/designer to come up with something else.

I really love your concept. I could see people wanting to follow your blog to see what happens in your pursuit. It could end in a huge success or in total failure, and we get to follow you on your path. If done right, this could be very fascinating. Sounds like a new reality show in the making.

Now to the actual design, it is OK, seems a little dry for your personalities. You come across as young and adventurous. I do not get that feeling from the site. It is a good business site, just doesn't seem to have any real personality. I also would be concerned with the color of the text. Seems hard to read, or maybe that is because I am not young (and need reading glasses). Just something to take a look at.
    PixelBunch,

Thank you for taking the time to read through some of our site and giving feedback. As I mentioned previously, we are indeed working with our web programmer/designer to make a site that better fits our personalities. There are a lot of things on our list that we are looking closely at to get a positive result so viewers will continue to visit our site and join us on our journey through all of this.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    I'm not going to comment on the site design, because it appears you use a freely available theme. So I'll comment on the site content and other non-theme related things.

First, get a favicon. It looks like you have a default Bluehost favicon showing up now. It's pretty importing for branding.

Second, don't use text-align: center; for no reason. I noticed this on the about page. Just use left aligned text for large chunks of content like that.

Speaking of large chunks of content, people on the web just don't have the patience to read text that isn't broken up. When writing for the web, use lots of paragraphs.

See how I do a line break almost every sentence? Isn't it easier to read?

I appreciate the honesty in your site mission, but you have to ask yourself, "what's the point?" You say you're going to build a "niched social media website that could potentially turn out huge profits" ...and? What's the niche? What's the site? Why should anyone trust you? Why should anyone read what you have to say? What value are you offering to the community?

It just seems like the site is seriously lacking direction. With that said, I wish you the best of luck and hope you find success.

Member #
    I really do appreciate your input on how the site content is and I honestly didn't even realize that the about page was center aligned until you said something so again, thank you. I will start to look into a favicon immediately and hopefully I will have something by the end of the night. As far as the large chunks of content goes I will do better to separate the sentences and make it look more appealing.

When it comes to the niched social media site we are slowly building hype to our launch date around spring to summer and don't want to release too much information. I will say that it is niched for the automotive industry, but I'm not going to reveal (yet) what our ideas are. A date will be available as we approach more goals and tasks being completed. So, I don't expect anyone to trust me up front.

One reason being that we just started this blog and it doesn't have any reputation nor do we have much of an audience attending our site on a regular basis. If someone finds our journey through our stupidity to be interesting and wants to follow how we are doing and what exactly it is that is going on "behind the scenes" then they are more than welcome to join in.

We are trying to offer value in telling our viewers what is working and not working for us as we go deeper into this experience. We want to inspire someone to do what we are doing by not only working full time each week, but by also putting 110% into building a dream that could become a career. Personally, I engineer trains that maintain and actually build the railroads through an automated process and as cool as it sounds, I'm not making what I would like. Not to mention that it isn't what I want to make a career out of.

I firmly believe in an old saying that if you enjoy what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. While I like what I do, and I can stand it enough to show up each day, it just isn't my career goals and I believe that putting my interests in a website that I can share with others and do a service to our niched community that I will not only be making the internet a better place, but I will also be bettering myself and making myself happier.

If we make money then great, it's a definite benefit. If not, it won't hurt my feelings and I will keep putting forth the effort that is required to run and maintain this idea we have.

I really thank you for all of your input DC Web Design.
    Best of luck to you as well!

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ninegearnation View Post
    I firmly believe in an old saying that if you enjoy what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. While I like what I do, and I can stand it enough to show up each day, it just isn't my career goals and I believe that putting my interests in a website that I can share with others and do a service to our niched community that I will not only be making the internet a better place, but I will also be bettering myself and making myself happier.
    I think this is gold. I'd love to see this exact paragraph placed on an about page or something on your actual site so your future website visitors can have a better idea of what you're mission is, and why you're doing the things that you do.

It's a very admirable goal, and being upfront and honest is a great way to gain future trust. I think you've been doing a great job of that so far.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's a good quote, but it's missing one thing...if you enjoy what you do, and you enjoy who you work with and / or for, then you'll never work a day in your life. I've had jobs where the work itself was pretty cool work and I got to work with some pretty interesting gadgets, but the office environment was so poisonous that it completely ruined the job experience for me. I had a quote about the last job that I had before I became a full-time gun for hire: "the work is easy...it's the people that are difficult."
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads