Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Newbie Here...Check My Site?

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Newbie Here...Check My Site?

Hello everyone...my names is steven and I am new here. I just started making my own site and i came across this forum and thought I would say hello. I have never done PHP or CSS before a few months ago when I started making my site. It is still in testing mode and not live yet. you can find it here:

Tinker PlayGround: DIY Electronic Kits

Well, Hello and I look forward to being an active member here...

Thanks a lot....

Steven

Member #
    What??????? Nobody?????

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Not really sure what to say about this myself. It's different...I'll give it that much. I just don't know who'd want to build something that was already started.

The one thing off the top...you need an address. If you're going to sell stuff online, you need an address. People will want to know who you are and where you're from.

Same thing with privacy / returns policies. Those are musts.

You'll also want to look at the SEO aspects of your site...specifically the URLs that what appears to be osCommerce is generating for you. Your home page should be (domain.com), not (domain.com)/index.php, for example...that can create canonical URL issues.

Your blog...have a blog because you need a blog, not because you were told you need a blog.

It's hard to really evaluate this, though, because there's not much in it.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Not really sure what to say about this myself. It's different...I'll give it that much. I just don't know who'd want to build something that was already started.

The one thing off the top...you need an address. If you're going to sell stuff online, you need an address. People will want to know who you are and where you're from.

Same thing with privacy / returns policies. Those are musts.

You'll also want to look at the SEO aspects of your site...specifically the URLs that what appears to be osCommerce is generating for you. Your home page should be (domain.com), not (domain.com)/index.php, for example...that can create canonical URL issues.

Your blog...have a blog because you need a blog, not because you were told you need a blog.

It's hard to really evaluate this, though, because there's not much in it.
    Thanks for the feedback Game.....

The site is in its infancy right now so there is not much content. I will have the address, privacy, shipping, and conditions filled in before it goes live. I took off the index.php references.....I have made some changes to the site....can you look at it again.....make sure you press "alt-F5" to see the new header design.....

Thanks a lot

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Tinker Kits, Tinker PlayGround <-- still there.

Also, the menu doesn't work.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Ok...I see what you mean now....I will get that changed.....what do you mean the menu does not work.....did you alt f5 it because I changed the whole header including the menu ....please advise...thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I mean it didn't work up until about a minute ago. I had done the <Ctrl><f5> thing to get the new copy and the menu wasn't clickable at all. It seems to be straightened out, though.

Member #
    Lol....that's what I meant....crtl f5. .....sorry....I am very new at this

Member #
    Looks okay, but it seems you used a template?

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    For SEO and accessibility reasons, you really shouldn't have all that text-based content saved in images. The alt tags aren't very descriptive of the text. I think that's a major issue that needs to be worked on.

I think your best asset right now is the content seems really interesting. That would be pretty cool to have an Altoid-tin-powered battery charger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads