Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Personal site concept.

Hey guys, it's been a while but I started working on something a little different for my own site.

Let me start off by saying, this is hosted on Weebly, but does not use any premade template of any kind. The design and coding are all custom or free scripts.

Home

**NOTES
    I wanted something "kind of" responsive. My current site METATROX - METATROX - Photography, Graphics Design, Web Design, Video and more! is not very mobile friendly. I have the intentions of keeping this a "one" page site, with loaded external content for some things.

**Additional NOTES
    • I only have 3 sections visible so far and only one "view more" section.
    • I do realize the loading times are probably heavy, I'm using some large .PNG files.
    • I'm not sure why, but firefox(OSX) does not display the arrows for scrolling side to side on each section. Just shows a box with some text in it. Weird! If anyone has any idea please let me know.
    • I'm not sure on the fade in effect when scrolling down yet. I like it but not sure how compatible it is.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Must be in the wrong direction....

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    I kinda like the fade effect when scrolling down. I think the site looks good, but I think your main problem may be making sure things like images are as optimized as possible at mobile widths.

You may want to look at Foresight.js so you don't force mobile users to download large assets. https://github.com/adamdbradley/foresight.js

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I really like it. The design is sharp, and sections just flow in. I do, as with DC worry a bit about download times. On my laptop at my house, everything is smooth and loads in a snap, but on a mobile connection, it could get frustrating.

Your nav at the top doesn't link to anything. I thought maybe it wasn't supposed to be a nav, but the first one is "top", and it persists as you scroll the page. My only other issue is when you scroll with the mouse wheel, as soon as you get down to where the map is, you start zooming out the map. That could be frustrating for users.

Other than that, you've done a hell of a good job.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Web Design View Post
    I kinda like the fade effect when scrolling down. I think the site looks good, but I think your main problem may be making sure things like images are as optimized as possible at mobile widths.

You may want to look at Foresight.js so you don't force mobile users to download large assets. https://github.com/adamdbradley/foresight.js
    Yeah I like the fade also, just not sure on compatibility yet. Thanks. I'm trying to think of a way to decrease image size. Right now they are all PNG's so they are like a couple megs a piece. I'll look into that site also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe View Post
    I really like it. The design is sharp, and sections just flow in. I do, as with DC worry a bit about download times. On my laptop at my house, everything is smooth and loads in a snap, but on a mobile connection, it could get frustrating.

Your nav at the top doesn't link to anything. I thought maybe it wasn't supposed to be a nav, but the first one is "top", and it persists as you scroll the page. My only other issue is when you scroll with the mouse wheel, as soon as you get down to where the map is, you start zooming out the map. That could be frustrating for users.

Other than that, you've done a hell of a good job.
    Thank you! Yeah I'll work on Decreasing file size.
    Correct the top nav isn't working yet. It will eventually, once I weed out some of these other issues. I've been looking for a way to disable the scrolling zoom of the map and cant seem to figure it out. Kind of why i placed it at the bottom, LOL

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    UPDATES
    - I added the functions for the menu. It should smooth scroll to the target areas. I do plan to make the menu look better but for now it works
    - I changed the slider images into jpg instead of png. It's not as "nice" looking but should definitely help loading times.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Metatrox View Post
    UPDATES
    - I added the functions for the menu. It should smooth scroll to the target areas. I do plan to make the menu look better but for now it works
    - I changed the slider images into jpg instead of png. It's not as "nice" looking but should definitely help loading times.
    Nice improvements. Personally, I can't really notice any downgrade as far as image quality goes. But it's good that the file sizes are smaller. As far as compatibility goes, in my opinion, just as long as it gracefully degrades on browsers that don't support fancy fade effects (i.e. still works, just doesn't fade or whatever) I wouldn't worry about backwards compatibility too much.

Another thing I noticed is your title tag just reads "Home" ...you might want to have a more descriptive title tag for when this gets indexed in search.

Member #
    I liked the design and the layout of the website. It is easy to navigate and the food flyers are really beautiful.

But there are a few issues I would like to point out:

1. The View More links under Web Design and Photograph are not working.

2. The brown and black theme is really appealing in the first four screens but the About and Contact pages look dull. It would have been better if you had used some dash of color to brighten them up.

3. Also, the About page is too harsh on the eye. There is too much text and the paragraph breaks are not apparent. It could use a better layout.

But an attractive website overall.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I think your design looks very elegant and the images really good (though the text in them is not great from a SEO standpoint).

I would justify the text in the "About metatrox" section. In this section you speak about you as an individual, whereas in the rest of the site you speak about "us" as an organisation. It's not clear whether it's just you or whether you are an organisation with multiple individuals.

In the contact form, what are people expected to put in the mandatory field "Metatrox - Contact Services"? Why is there a drop-down here asking people if they are interested in your services? I would assume that they wouldn't contact you if they weren't interested so the question seems somewhat pointless.

Add "scrollwheel: false" to your mapOptions object where it initialises the Google Map in JavaScript to prevent the map from zooming when the user scrolls to the bottom of the page.

Jitse

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Web Design View Post
    Nice improvements. Personally, I can't really notice any downgrade as far as image quality goes. But it's good that the file sizes are smaller. As far as compatibility goes, in my opinion, just as long as it gracefully degrades on browsers that don't support fancy fade effects (i.e. still works, just doesn't fade or whatever) I wouldn't worry about backwards compatibility too much.

Another thing I noticed is your title tag just reads "Home" ...you might want to have a more descriptive title tag for when this gets indexed in search.
    Thank you! The quality of the images should be pretty close, instead of having a transparent background, each image has a background. Still seems to flow well enough though.
    From what I've been able to see it works pretty much on everything except old IE versions, which we all know is half the world. LOL But as you mentioned it appears to fail gracefully.
    Yeah, I will definitely change title.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay1 View Post
    I liked the design and the layout of the website. It is easy to navigate and the food flyers are really beautiful.
    But there are a few issues I would like to point out:
    1. The View More links under Web Design and Photograph are not working.
    2. The brown and black theme is really appealing in the first four screens but the About and Contact pages look dull. It would have been better if you had used some dash of color to brighten them up.
    3. Also, the About page is too harsh on the eye. There is too much text and the paragraph breaks are not apparent. It could use a better layout.
    But an attractive website overall.
    Thank you! Food Photography is one of my favorite jobs, LOL
    1. Correct I have not implemented those yet, wanted to make sure the first one works, so i dont have to recode each if I need to change. LOL
    2. I see what you mean, Ill look into adding some color or something to give the bottom sections some love. hah
    3. Yeah I havent established a good way of showing the About section yet. It is too plain.

Quote Originally Posted by djitsz View Post
    I think your design looks very elegant and the images really good (though the text in them is not great from a SEO standpoint).
    I would justify the text in the "About metatrox" section. In this section you speak about you as an individual, whereas in the rest of the site you speak about "us" as an organisation. It's not clear whether it's just you or whether you are an organisation with multiple individuals.
    In the contact form, what are people expected to put in the mandatory field "Metatrox - Contact Services"? Why is there a drop-down here asking people if they are interested in your services? I would assume that they wouldn't contact you if they weren't interested so the question seems somewhat pointless.
    Add "scrollwheel: false" to your mapOptions object where it initialises the Google Map in JavaScript to prevent the map from zooming when the user scrolls to the bottom of the page.
    Jitse
    Thanks! I've thought about implementing the text as live text instead of in the image but haven' found the right way to do it yet. The slider I'm using doesn't allow this.
    I agree on the me/us. I have to admit I copied the text over from the old site. LOL So I do want to update this correctly.
    That Field was mislabeled, its supposed to be email, ill get that changed asap.
    I do a lot of other things outside of my design so you'd be surprised how many people contact me through my site but are not looking for my design services. Kind of why I have that drop down.
    Thank you for the value to disable scroll I'll try it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads