Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BlackBike

Thread: Please review my latest project - NGO in rainforrest of Peru

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Please review my latest project - NGO in rainforrest of Peru

Hello,

This NGO is located in the Amazone in Peru and is doing amazing conservation work for keeping the habitats of wild animals around. I didn't get paid for this project but this is my way of helping the rain forrest is providing info via websites =)

It's almost done, I am debugging now some stuff and I didn't do a full cross browser check yet. So please have a look and let me know your thoughts.

It's designed within Joomla 2.5 CMS and I stripped a standard template and build a new responsive website.

Link to site: http://communitytourism.co/

Thanks,

Coen Commijs
    Black Bike Media Inc.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Hi Coen,

I think it is a well-designed site with a pleasant layout and nice imagery. A few possible improvements:

I would not use a sans-serif font for the site title (Community Tourism) and a serif font for the tagline (Community tourism in Peru) as together they look a bit clumsy.

The light green shadow behind the navigation menu and the horizontal line below the slider are a bit primary for my taste and I would make it a more natural tone of green which matches better with the colour of the footer. Perhaps it would look better to make it semi-transparent as well.

In Google Chrome the slider behaves a bit strangely and just before and after a slide transition the image briefly gets compressed horizontally and no longer fills the full width of the screen like it does the rest of the time.

The links to the various community in the footer don't work presently.

I would add a "Home" link to the navigation menu as currently you can only go to the home page by clicking on the site title (which might not be intuitive for all users).

On the home page under "Habitats" (bottom of page) 80,000 ha equates XXXX acres (try Googling: "80000 ha in acres")

On the home page under "Forest" a question mark is missing at the end of "Why not help support local conservation and development whilst travelling in Peru".

Get rid of the "index.php" for fully SEO friendly URLs.

Create a custom Favicon rather than the standard Joomla one.

Hope these comments are helpful.

Best wishes
    Jitse

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Well, at last - someone who honestly says they started with a template and then modified it! That right there gets you a "Like" regardless of anything else I may say about the site!

Having said that - I like the layout a lot - it's interesting while still being easy to navigate - could use a link to the Home page, though - relying on people to click on the logo or title doesn't always work.

And I like the idea behind the palette you've chosen, very in keeping with the topic of the site, but I think I would have used a darker shade of green - maybe the green of the stylized trees in the background ( a suggestion - #496C34).

I am not a big fan of this new trend towards grey text. I have old eyes and i like things to be really easy to read, so black on white is my first choice. (You may want to consider that the people who will be visiting the site who have disposable income to donate may well be aging hippies like myself.) And the white text on the light green "Registered charity number" in the footer is almost impossible to read.

So, darker text, darker green - that would go a long way towards making it more readable.

Your "Remember" button is very cool - I like the little guy peering out from it and I'm a sucker for small surprise animations like that - but it is misspelled - missing the second "m". Also, if you're going to use punctuation on a button, I'd use an exclamation mark rather than a comma. (Actually I'd leave it off altogether.) And since that button is so cool, it would be even more cool, in my opinion, if the buttons for "Explore habitats" and "read more" were styled the same way, using different animals, perhaps.

As djitsz said, you need a custom favicon -you could maybe use a small monkey face or lion head? There's a cool site here where you can upload an image and create one online - you can preview it actual size to see if it works or not before you download it.

Since it's a work in progress, I'm not too worried about the links not all working yet - I'm sure you're going to test and test and test, right?
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thank you very much @AlphaMAre and @Djitsz for the helpful comments. The site needs a little proof reading still but since the founders of the NGO wanted to have it online rather then check all this stuff first they decided to get it live asap. But I agree this needed to be done prior to the release.
    Anyway I will get all the color edits you mentioned in account and I will change the grey fonts in order to be more 'read-friendly' for people who don't have a good sight, that is a very good point. All the URL needs to be rewritten and that will come when I have some free time.
    Also teh favicon needs to be designed and there are some Explorer bugs which still need to be looked at. Like I mentioned before I didn't spent all my time reviewing it so your comments are very valuable. Thanks again and I will get back to work and test test test =)

Have a great day!

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    One thing i noticed was when i opened it on my phone, for some reason Youtube App opened up n started to play a video? I do not know if this was something i set on my end or if its something the coding has done? Not really sure how that works just thought id let you know in case it wasn't intentional and it wasn't just on my end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads