Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Value of my work

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Value of my work

I was hoping someone here could give me a rough estimate of the site I built. I'm not charging anyone for it but I do need to inform the school board what my work is worth.
    I have spent many hours on it converting .doc forms to .pdf, working with images and so on. I don't want to be a bother to anyone, and the site is nothing special, but it's still worth something.
    http://mjaschool.org

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Nothing. To me personally, it's worth nothing.

Don't take this answer the wrong way...I see that you put in some time and some effort into this. The problem in my case is that it's worth nothing to me since I have no particular use for it. You're making a common mistake, yet one that is completely understandable. You're basing your question on an application of David Ricardo's Labor Theory of Value, which makes sense on the surface; however, if you spent say 100 hours on this project and you price your labor at $12 an hour, it wouldn't be worth $1,200 to me. This is basic supply and demand, and it determines what your particular project is worth. In this case, you have a supply of one website and a demand of one customer (the Milwaukee Seventh-Day Adventists).

Using Ricardo's Labor Theory of Value is a good way to calculate a quote on a project, but it does not necessarily infer that you'll receive that amount for your trouble.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Pictures in your page are attractive but you should use flash, to show or move slide.
    Site is simple and using old style. Focus on design.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thefasninja1 View Post
    ...you should use flash...
    You're being sarcastic, right? I mean, I didn't think you could even arrange those particular words in that order in a sentence.

You should absolutely not use flash.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Nothing. To me personally, it's worth nothing.

Don't take this answer the wrong way...I see that you put in some time and some effort into this. The problem in my case is that it's worth nothing to me since I have no particular use for it. You're making a common mistake, yet one that is completely understandable. You're basing your question on an application of David Ricardo's Labor Theory of Value, which makes sense on the surface; however, if you spent say 100 hours on this project and you price your labor at $12 an hour, it wouldn't be worth $1,200 to me. This is basic supply and demand, and it determines what your particular project is worth. In this case, you have a supply of one website and a demand of one customer (the Milwaukee Seventh-Day Adventists).

Using Ricardo's Labor Theory of Value is a good way to calculate a quote on a project, but it does not necessarily infer that you'll receive that amount for your trouble.
    Your answer makes no sense, in fact your reply is not even relevant to the question I asked. I don't think you even read my post, I think you're just posting to raise your post count. Of course it's only worth something to the client, but that's true with all sites. I can't build a site for a paint store and expect it to be worth something to a bike shop.
    I just was wondering what I could tell the client the site is worth, FOR THEM...
    I figured that someone with web design experience would be able to look at the site and have a very rough idea on what was put into it and what they would charge a client for such a site.

Member #
    I'm just building this site to help the school and in return they're reducing the tuition for my Daughter, so the question here is so simple, what can I tell them it's worth. I'm not asking for an exact number, just a very rough estimate. I'm NOT asking how to improve it, how to rearrange things, what to add or take away, it is what it is...

Can someone actually help me?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Bryan: it makes complete sense. The only people for whom the site has value are the people that own it or use it. Therefore, the question is between you and them and it's something you really should have straightened out long before you built the thing. If you had estimated that it would take you 100 hours to build at $12 / hour, that's then you should have told them to reduce your daughter's tuition by $1200 upfront. You don't build something and then expect to figure out what it's worth after the fact...you calculate it upfront and present it accordingly. You've done everything backwards.

You also have to figure that different people are going to charge different rates for different services. You may charge $10 / hour. I may charge $50. You may have taken 100 hours to build this. It might take me 15. There's no way for any of us to even give you a rough estimate that would be in any way useful to you because of this.

Look at it this way: if I create a painting that takes me 100 hours to paint, and I figure my labor is worth $25 an hour, that doesn't mean my painting's worth $2500. It could be worth millions to someone. It could be absolutely worthless. What it's worth is what it's worth to the school. It may be worth nothing to them. It may be worth thousands.

I don't do, or need to do, anything to inflate post count, just as an FYI. Don't shoot the messenger.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    For a straightforward site like this with the number of pages there and if the client provided all the content (copy and images) I would probably have charged between 800 and 1,000, and a bit less if you used an open-source CMS and existing template. Of course a lot of it depends on how often and how long you have met with the client and how many revisions you have gone through to incorporate their feedback.
    Bryan G likes this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Bryan: it makes complete sense. The only people for whom the site has value are the people that own it or use it. Therefore, the question is between you and them and it's something you really should have straightened out long before you built the thing. If you had estimated that it would take you 100 hours to build at $12 / hour, that's then you should have told them to reduce your daughter's tuition by $1200 upfront. You don't build something and then expect to figure out what it's worth after the fact...you calculate it upfront and present it accordingly. You've done everything backwards.

You also have to figure that different people are going to charge different rates for different services. You may charge $10 / hour. I may charge $50. You may have taken 100 hours to build this. It might take me 15. There's no way for any of us to even give you a rough estimate that would be in any way useful to you because of this.

Look at it this way: if I create a painting that takes me 100 hours to paint, and I figure my labor is worth $25 an hour, that doesn't mean my painting's worth $2500. It could be worth millions to someone. It could be absolutely worthless. What it's worth is what it's worth to the school. It may be worth nothing to them. It may be worth thousands.

I don't do, or need to do, anything to inflate post count, just as an FYI. Don't shoot the messenger.
    You are not helping. If you can't answer then don't. I just want a simple answer.
    YOU don't seem to understand.
    If I have a bike that's worth $500, does it matter how long it took to build it?
    Let me teach you, I've been an electrician for 20 years. When my boss makes a bid on a job, that's the price it is. If I work slow he loses money, if I work fast he gains, if I work for less $$ an hour he gains and so on, but in the end, the customer still pays the same...
    I don't believe you, there is a worth to this, and a rough estimate should be possible.
    Last edited by Bryan G; Feb 06th, 2014 at 11:53 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Hey Bryan, I understand what you are saying and I technically understand where the Game is coming from which is a more literal aspect than what you wanted. Of it can be more value to others but that is not what you are asking. Not calculating in the hours you actually put into it since we don't now that, I would assume a site like this would/could range from $1000-$1500. With that said though I designed a website for a Congressional Candidate as a volunteer and he always touted it as a $10,000 website which to him it was. FYI theGame is an admin and doesn't need to up his post count, I laughed my arse off when I read that.
    Bryan G and TheGAME1264 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads