Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Website review and feedback request

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Website review and feedback request

Hi Guys,

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could highlight any problem areas with the design of the site I have linked below? And if anyone can suggest any improvements? Remembering this site is a NHS site so accessibility is an important factor...*

[EDIT: moved to the URL box so people could find it. TheGAME1264]

Many thanks,

Burt
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Feb 08th, 2014 at 06:26 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hi Burt,

I'm going to focus specifically on the accessibility issues with this site because as you said it's a requirement. For those who don't know what Burt is referring to, there's an act called the Equality Act 2010 (formerly the British Disability Discrimination Act). There's a portion of the act that pertains to accessibility and states that all government services (including websites) must be made accessible to everyone...or such is my greatly oversimplified explanation.

Anyway, let's move on. First off...images. You need alt attributes for every image. I don't see any alt attributes on any of the images on the home page.

Second, font sizes.

WebAIM: Fonts

Relative units vs. absolute units

For development purposes, it is best to use relative units (such as percents or ems) to specify font sizes rather than absolute units (such as pixels or points). This provides much flexibility in modifying the visual presentation using CSS. For accessibility, because modern browsers adequately resize text regardless of how the size has been defined, it is not vital that text sizes be defined in relative sizes.

In other words, you should play it safe and use percentages...I'm not a fan of ems because they tend to be less precise.

Third: colours. You're actually pretty close on this. Your body text has more than sufficient contrast for the most part.

Where you have a bit of an issue, however, is in the blue colour you're using.

Juicy Studio: Luminosity Colour Contrast Ratio Analyser

Put it in as the foreground colour and you'll see that it would pass AA accessibility levels, which is pretty good...however, it would fail at AAA accessibility levels for your hyperlinks in your body copy, as they're 12px. Now, someone should really update the rules on font accessibility and regular sizes, but my own rule of thumb is that if you raise the size of your body copy to 87.5% (in relative terms...this works out to about 14px by default) you should be fine. You should be okay with that purple colour you're using, though.

The tagline...that would fail for reasons that should be fairly obvious. I'll leave that up to you.

Your goal in all of this should be to shoot for AAA accessibility. Even AA is more than most websites are capable of. But aim for AAA.

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0

Hopefully this gets you started.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads