Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Enerica
  • 1 Post By Geese89
  • 1 Post By lindsaynichole
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Portfolio Website - does it look okay ??

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Red face Portfolio Website - does it look okay ??

Hello everyone! I'm trying to put a portfolio together and could use feedback/advice. I have two versions, a new one with light colors and an older one with a dark scheme. Does one look better than the other?? Or are both versions not looking so great... I would love some honest opinions.

PS: neither version has 100% functionality up and running...but the light one is more complete. In fact don't even bother looking at anything but the home page for the dark version lol. Also ignore spelling mistakes, the text is just rough for now.

thanks to all who help <3

NEW VERSION (light): My Test Site
    OLD VERSION (dark): My Test Site

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Copy aside, I'd go with the dark layout because the grey in the lighter layout is actually a little depressing.

One thing, since the text is rough, and this is a pretty brutal but real thing to say...no one who is hiring cares that you're looking for work. What people care about is what you can do for them. You relate to them, you understand what they want you to do to help make them money, and someone will hire you at some point. You go in with the "I want work so hire me" line of thinking and you'll get killed, dug up, and killed again.

+1 for not and throwing up a W*rdPr*ss site, though. Respect for that.
    lindsaynichole likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I prefer the light layout, but the homepage of the dark one if that makes sense. Several bonus points for the dancing pug (I love pugs)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The light version looks very clean, I would go with that! Just something small I noticed - you should probably spell jQuery the correct way in your resume

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    @theGAME1264

Thank you this is great input! I completely see what you mean about advertising my abilities vs going on about my need for employment. I suppose I leaned this way because I don't quite have confidence yet. In college all they taught was java... I learned php, jquery, html, css, javascript and design all by myself and I really don't know if what I do is good enough compared to others. But you are quite right and I will take your advice.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Smart girl.

Seriously, that comes from someone who has hired people in the past. You hear "I want work" so many times that it gets really repetitive after a while.

I learned all of those things by myself and here's what I'd tell you in response to that...I can guarantee you that there's someone better than I am at any one of those things (especially design). Maybe even a couple. Outside shot at 3. But I can also tell you that there isn't anyone better than I am at all of those things as well as the other combination of skills, knowledge, and ability to apply both that I bring to the table. If you can find that combination of things that you...as in you personally...do better than anyone else, it doesn't matter whether one person's better at PHP or someone else is better at design or whatever.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yep I agree 100%, the "combo" angle is what I'm hoping makes me somewhat valuable. I figure if I find the right company, they might be happy to have a front-end developer who can also make reasonable designs so they don't need to hire a design person or use templates all the time.

Thanks for your support and words of wisdom
    -Lindsay

Remove Ads