Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DarrenStreet

Thread: Reviews Please - Portfolio Website | Refresh Websites

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    5.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    5.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    5.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    5.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Reviews Please - Portfolio Website | Refresh Websites

Hello,

I would appreciate some feedback on my new portfolio website. I am generally happy with it BUT I suspect it just needs something more.

Anyway I look forward to your comments.

refreshwebsites.co.uk/

BTW. Its written in Umbraco CMS and uses the skeleton boilerplate.
    BlueCrater likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Holy crap, dude...ASP.net! HE'S HARDCORE! HE'S HARDCORE! HE'S HARDCORE! This is AWESOME. I have no idea what Umbraco CMS is / isn't capable of, since I don't use third-party CMSes if I can avoid them, but it looks like original stuff...so I'm happy to see that. It's refreshing (pun intended).

I dig the look, I dig the code overall, I dig the layout, I dig the commentary. The one thing I don't dig is the portfolio...let me see the sites you've built! I don't mean the screen caps...I mean see the sites!

But what makes it worth it for me is this:

Template Free*| Refresh Websites Oxford

ATTENTION ASIAN DESIGNER WANNABES: READ AND LEARN.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Great website. I like the two options that you provide to people right away, but I would even make that more front and centre rather than having the initial "powerful and simple to use" slider.

I also think your language needs some work. It reads like ESL, and I noticed a couple typos (compexity instead of complexity).

LOVE your blog intro, very funny.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Great site. I like the overall design and love the Pontano Sans font you use.

I did find your slider somewhat confusing. It slides all over the place when you move your mouse over it.

For your blog I would make all images equal height as the resulting alignment would look more professional.

Some of your copy reads a bit technical and might not make much sense for the average non-web-developer, for instance the CMS and mobile friendly bullet point lists under "Start-up websites"

There are perhaps a bit too many items under "websites" and the average person is unlikely to differentiate between these types of website. Also, although the 'show-text-on-hover' effect looks sleek, it's not that user friendly to have to hover over each item to see the information. I would keep it much simpler and have an overview of 4 or maybe 5 types of sites here.

Remove Ads