Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: How does my Portfolio Website Concept Look?

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

How does my Portfolio Website Concept Look?

Hey everyone, I'm Audrey, 14 yrs. I'm creating a portfolio website to help me with applying to the art institute summer program. (Not required, I just really want to get the scholarship, because I can't afford it) I would love it if you could critique my photoshop-created concept for the the final product, so that I can easily change things now instead of waiting. All of the graphics will be made by me. At the moment, the watercolor is a stock image, but I will create my own. Anyway, sorry for the fluff, here's the image: (Too big to be show, here's a link: )

click me

This is a redesign of my previous one (much simpler, clickme) because I couldn't figure out how to make it work in IE
    Last edited by asbxzeeko; Mar 04th, 2014 at 09:55 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hi Audrey,

I think you're going to have a tough time getting people to evaluate what you've done so far because...well, it's a picture. It's a nice picture, but it's a picture. It's generally a lot easier to get evaluations when we can see how the site functions, whether or not it's responsive, the code, etc.

One thing I'd suggest is that, if it's for an art institute summer program, to focus your copy on why the art institute should give you a scholarship. Focus on "them", not "you". Treat it like a job interview. You'll probably have better luck.

Your rocket looks like an iPod. Not sure if that's by choice or chance, but it looks like an iPod. I'm just pointing it out in the event that it's inadvertent.

At any rate, I think you're off to a good start overall.
    asbxzeeko likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Ahh okay, I guess I'll start coding it! Thanks It's not actually for the art institute, it's just my portfolio, I just think it might help me get the scholarship if they see that. There's a whole other application.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    True, but you're showing it to them, so you might as well try to market to them...or any other interested parties.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    In my opinion, your content doesn't sound very professional. I get the fact that you want people to see that you are creative, and unique. However you are trying to use this website to get clients and clients are looking for someone that is great at what they do, and also professional. A little sarcasm and satire isn't a terrible thing, but to much playful giddiness comes off as childish and Unprofessional.

[EDIT: link drop removed by TheGAME1264. I'm going to leave the misspelling of misspelling as is, though.]
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Mar 30th, 2014 at 12:36 PM. Reason: miss spelling

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    1) She's 14 years old. Cut her a little slack.
    2) She's not trying to get clients. She's applying for a summer art institute program and wants to show additional initiative and skill.
    3) It's really hard to take someone's criticisms seriously when that person drops links, misspells words, and unnecessarily capitalizes words.

Ashley, if you're still reading this thread, I'd advise that you don't pay much attention to what he just said. I left it there because I feel he should have the opportunity to defend himself and/or elaborate, but for now just treat it as white noise.

Member #
    I think there are a lot of good things going on so well done. If I can offer any criticism (and this is totally subjective) it would be that something is off in the alignment.

The paragraph of text and the columns in that third section, well, something is off. It is like my eyes want to find alignment but it is not there. I am not suggesting everything has to line up but you should either be able to draw lines between elements or they should be very different.

Again, that is very subjective and I love the first section. I actually quite like your approach. You are 14, it is fine to be playful.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    I think its pretty cool. I enjoy young folks looking for help.

Nice art. Crowded text. Needs more line height and breathing room around elements. Also some whitespace would be nice.

And yes, you should submit an actual site. Keep in mind a mockup to a site is like a dream to a reality. Best to be mindful of how things would be on a website by making the website.

Remove Ads