Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Fireproofgfx
  • 2 Post By asbxzeeko
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By Vapr_Arts
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: My Website Design Needs Help

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

My Website Design Needs Help

I am new to webdesign coding. I decided to build a website for my tech support business. I know my layout is not idea. I really, really would prefer constructive criticism to give me tips on what and how it should be changed. I don't want responses such as" You need to learn more of this or that". I need specific answers. I am still in school and still learning. Thank you for your useful feedback in advance!!

Computer Repair

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    Well first off you need to look around the world wide web and get some ideas as to a "nice" clean design. As you have it right now the colors are really bad and blinding, makes me wonder if you are color blind, because my son who is would dig this site lol.. Your Banner height is to large. In IE and Chrome your whole site is askew. I would like to give you specific answers but really, you just need to start over and go back to the drawing board.
    TheGAME1264 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    The colours clash a ton, as Fireproofgfx said. When designing a website, it's important to choose a colour scheme to stick to before you start. Most of the best colour schemes are less saturated colours that aren't complementary or analogous, usually with white and black. If you go for the purple you have on your page, I would make it much less saturated, and don't use red, blue, or yellow, like you have, substituting it for maybe a toned down green? I don't know. Anyway, moving on. Your font choices are not good at all. It's commonly known that everyone hates comic sans. Even if you don't, it may stop a potential client from browsing your website. Are all of those images yours also? You may want to look into that. Anyway, there are also lots of problems with your layout (and errors?) that you may want to look into. All in all, I agree, you should go back and plan your design much further before creating your website.
    TheGAME1264 and Fireproofgfx like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    ...and you're 14? I know people that are twice your age that aren't that smart. Nicely done.

eleverson: the problem is that you want specific answers, and we can't really give them to you because just about everything on this site is wrong in some way. You're mixing up fonts all over the place. Your text lacks contrast with your background colors (contrast is crucial if you want people to be able to read it.) Your copy contains spelling errors (e.g. "aslo" instead of "also"). The drop shadows make your text very hard to read when you use them. You're claiming your business name is a registered trademark when according to the USPTO search engine it isn't. You've got a thin affiliate link that doesn't really make much sense. You don't explain what exactly it is that you do and who you serve. And there are about a hundred other things I could list off that "aren't specific".

The only guidance that makes sense is "blow it up and start over".
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thank you for your response. Do you have any websites I can go to for wire-frame examples for website layouts? I know it looks a mess and came here to get guidance. I am a newbie. I know my main problem is layout. I am taking more of web developer courses instead of design. Getting into .net development.

Member #
    Liked
    544 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eleverson View Post
    Thank you for your response. Do you have any websites I can go to for wire-frame examples for website layouts? I know it looks a mess and came here to get guidance. I am a newbie. I know my main problem is layout. I am taking more of web developer courses instead of design. Getting into .net development.
    Just browse online.. Thats the best thing to do in my opinion. You can get all the inspiration you need by just browsing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Quote Originally Posted by eleverson View Post
    See, now, that's just sexy. You start talking .NET and you're going to get people all hot and bothered...well, mostly me because I'm the WDF one-man circus, but I'm also the guy who gets the most likes around here, so you need to impress me because I'm awesome.

The problem is that you're not going to solve your layout issue until you solve what the point of your site is and write the appropriate copy for it, or at least have some idea of what you want people to do. You want them to contact you. You want people to use you as a tech person. So your copy and your site need to explain what you can do for other people and why they should choose you for remote tech support over say India or Pakistan remote tech support.

I would normally never make this suggestion, because under most circumstances I think it's a horrible idea. In your particular case, however, it would be a good idea to look into one of the .NET CMSes (Umbraco or DotNetNuke come to mind). You can probably find a template for one of those that would work from a layout point of view for what you want, while giving you something real-world to play with as far as .NET code is concerned. In other words, use the CMS as both a way to build a half-decent site and more importantly as a learning tool so that you can eventually figure out how to build your own that would top what they're offering (which shouldn't take much.) Again, this is not a normal recommendation, and I very rarely recommend templates because they lack originality...but in your specific case, I'm going to make an exception to my rule.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I will add yet another Like to you ever growing like category. Great advice game! You sure are LIKED around here lol

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah, I'm friggin' popular. I'm like Rob Ford, except that I'm straightedge and usually right.
    Fireproofgfx likes this.

Member #
    I'd suggest sticking with your layout for now... Play with the colour scheme because it will teach you a lot. Think soft tones such as pastels etc rather than primary! Your graphic work needs addressing. Find somebody local who is good with graphics or consider a course. I'm currently on my iPhone but have you made this with frames? For a first website it's ok but don't pick up any bad habits because they can be hard to get out of and stagger your creativity. Over all : Good effort but build on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove Ads