Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Feedback please

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Feedback please

Hello,

I am trying to get our company website ranked high in Google. All of our competitors seem to be above us and I can't understand what it is we might be doing wrong. We used to be high up but have slipped down over the past couple of years.

Maybe I am just missing something obvious.

Any feedback on the below site would be appreciated.

[EDIT: link moved to the URL box by TheGAME1264]

Regards,

Dan.
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Mar 17th, 2014 at 11:57 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    First of all, are we talking about ranking or receiving referral traffic from search engines? The latter is a valid measure; the former is not. Based on the fact that you mention competitors, I'm assuming you're excessively focusing on the former.

One obvious thing off the top: you need a 301 redirect from the non-www version of your website to the www version. Same with /index.php to /.
    Some other things you may want to try are here. Most of them are done in the control panel so they're pretty easy fixes:

https://developers.google.com/speed/...2F&tab=desktop

You may also want to look at a responsive design for your mobile site instead of the mobile site, unless you have a reason to have a mobile page. Fortunately, Google has released a video for that:

On your home page, you'll want to look at properly using h tags...specifically, putting an image tag inside of an h tag is generally not a good idea and isn't necessary.

There are other things, but this should get you started.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks a lot for that info, I have made some changes and got the speed ranking up to 88. I plan on doing a lot more too.

Thank you.

Dan.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Cool.

Just so you have a heads-up, improving PageSpeed doesn't have an immediate effect on your search referral traffic...they usually tend to measure it by averages. It's a good thing to do regardless, though, because it can immediately impact conversions. In other words, you're getting more out of the same site.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads