Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheGAME1264

Thread: Review my recent design draft

Member #

Current Rating

Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

Rate This Site

Advertisement (login to hide this!)

You must be logged in to view this site

Review my recent design draft

This is a design in progress for my design portfolio. Can you rate the mock up, created in Photoshop CS6?

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I don't like the color combination. But maybe if we saw it in action it might look better specifically if it is coupled with a click and scroll page. I know others are going to say the same, which I don't always agree but this time I would agree and say it is really hard to look at something like this that should be coded and give you feedback on it other than the colors "might" not work.

Member #
    What makes the color combination not work? I like the orange and the red because it makes it feel vibrant and easy going.

Is it the shade of blue you think?

Member #
    Do you think if I used a shade of green as the relief instead it would look better on the eyes?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Well, you're clearly a developer and not a designer...and that's not a bad thing. I've never done anything in Python before (mostly because I have had no real reason to learn it) but I can respect that. It's also why I fully expect you'll understand my next statement: I normally don't evaluate static image mockups of websites because they in no way reflect the quality of code, both server and client-side, that goes into the layout.

With that said, I don't mind the color scheme myself, but I'll show you something you may not have considered that does have some impact on the function of your site...the white / black text on the blue. Whenever you're evaluating contrast ratio between a dark/light foreground and single background color, you'll generally find that you'll get at best one combination with an acceptable ratio (anything beyond 4:5.1 for large text and 7:1 for small, taking into consideration that plain text on a web page is relative) and one that doesn't work so well. In the particular case of your blue color and the white / black text, neither works especially well. Personally, I'd darken the circles somewhat and go with the white for sheer aesthetic reasons, but you're probably going to want to do something with the blue shade one way or the other.

Colour Contrast Analyser (Win/Mac) | The Paciello Group - Your Accessibility Partner <-- these guys have a tool that will help you evaluate color combos until you get one that works. It's not perfect in that it's "assumed" that large text is anything beyond 14pt and again font sizes on web pages are relative, but you can get something that's good enough from a contrast ratio point of view using this tool (works well in conjunction with Photoshop as well).

As far as the relief color, I'd say a fairly dark shade of green would work.
    Jaswant likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Well, you're clearly a developer and not a designer...and that's not a bad thing. I've never done anything in Python before (mostly because I have had no real reason to learn it) but I can respect that. It's also why I fully expect you'll understand my next statement: I normally don't evaluate static image mockups of websites because they in no way reflect the quality of code, both server and client-side, that goes into the layout.

With that said, I don't mind the color scheme myself, but I'll show you something you may not have considered that does have some impact on the function of your site...the white / black text on the blue. Whenever you're evaluating contrast ratio between a dark/light foreground and single background color, you'll generally find that you'll get at best one combination with an acceptable ratio (anything beyond 4:5.1 for large text and 7:1 for small, taking into consideration that plain text on a web page is relative) and one that doesn't work so well. In the particular case of your blue color and the white / black text, neither works especially well. Personally, I'd darken the circles somewhat and go with the white for sheer aesthetic reasons, but you're probably going to want to do something with the blue shade one way or the other.

Colour Contrast Analyser (Win/Mac) | The Paciello Group - Your Accessibility Partner <-- these guys have a tool that will help you evaluate color combos until you get one that works. It's not perfect in that it's "assumed" that large text is anything beyond 14pt and again font sizes on web pages are relative, but you can get something that's good enough from a contrast ratio point of view using this tool (works well in conjunction with Photoshop as well).

As far as the relief color, I'd say a fairly dark shade of green would work.
    Well I am a designer too, but I tend to concentrate more on the functionality that needs to be present within the actual design for certain back-end things to happen, like ajax movements, and scroll functions. I also understand about the static images. I should have a working html mockup in a few days. I began coding it last night.

With the contrast ratios and stuff: Huh. I did think about that originally, maybe I overdid the black, but I didn't know anything about the ratios or anything like that. Thanks man! I think if I just darken the first letters it may look better. Were you thinking about the navigation bar when you were evaluating the white/black? I actually think that part looks decent because the first letters are the only thing darkened. It gives it repetition.

Thanks for the link, I'll have to use that. I'm partially color blind so many things look really awesome to me but terrible to everyone else.

I changed the relief color to green last night, and it worked wonders.

Remove Ads