Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5
    Member #
    39074

    Current Rating

    Visual Appeal:
    0.0 out of 5

    Accessibility:
    0.0 out of 5

    Website Speed:
    0.0 out of 5

    Compatibility:
    0.0 out of 5

    Overall Rating:
    0.0 out of 5

    Rate This Site


    Advertisement (login to hide this!)


    You must be logged in to view this site

    Can you please review my site

    I just had my site updated but after they started working on it they say my oscommerce shopping cart is not compatable with the theme they used, Anyway my site is [EDIT: moved URL to the Website box. TheGAME1264] I am very disappointed in how the front page, but just don't really know what to do, the company keeps asking me what I want but if I knew that I would of designed the site myself if I could. Please feedback would be appreciated.

    Thank you
    Denise
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; Apr 29th, 2014 at 09:36 PM.

  2.  

  3. #2
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,483
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Hi Denise,

    I'm going to tell you why you're disappointed with your home page and why you're frustrated, but when you read what I'm about to say you're probably going to smack yourself in the head because it's that simple. It's highly functional, but it's simple.

    To give you an analogy, you have a brick and mortar store. You want people to come in through the front door. So you hire a company to improve your store, make it look clean, make it function, get people in and buying and out as fast as possible, and enjoy their shopping experience. The company decides that what you need is signage. Lots and lots of storefront signage. Signage that clogs up the windows, blocks the front door, doesn't really tell people what you offer and guide them to buying it, and makes it harder for people to buy.

    For good measure, they took your normal checkout process and decided to go ahead and add a second one in for the same products.

    youth_equipment | Fitness and KidsFitness and Kids

    Of course, that's when you can even order the product.

    Wii Fit Sports Bundle (Pro Edition) | Fitness and KidsFitness and Kids

    Now, the more technical explanation is that the clowns who did this took your store, decided to do what most clueless web designers and developers do, and stick W*rdPr*ss over the top of it because W*rdPr*ss solves all ills, regardless of circumstance. You need W*rdPr*ss like you need me to come over to wherever you live with a fully charged Makita cordless and drill a hole in your head. It doesn't suit your site at all. It's also why your cart isn't compatible with the "theme" they used (this is the theme, in case they didn't tell you that before). WP themes aren't built to be compatible with osCommerce and vice versa. They're two completely different platforms, and most developers with even half of a brain would realize that. Of course, most developers with half a brain wouldn't have stuck in an "affordable web design" "SEO backlink" onto your site, which does you absolutely no good whatsoever and can only do you harm. There are designers and developers who don't engage in this scumbag practice, but they're not the majority, unfortunately.

    Now...this isn't totally on the company. About 95% of it is, but a little of this is your responsibility as well, and here's why. You say you don't know what you want or you would have designed it yourself. That's not impossible for a designer or a developer to work with, but it is extremely difficult. Even if you don't fully know what it is that you want, you should at least have some idea and you should be able to form a collaborative relationship with whomever you choose to work with in the future (and I'm guessing it's not going to be these guys). You come with your ideas, and a smart developer / designer will be able to add his / her own and more importantly should be able to come up with a logical, consistent cart process that gets people through it as quickly as is reasonably possible. Remember: you know the fitness end of it and how the customers think. You'll have knowledge and things of value to contribute, even if you don't necessarily understand the tech aspects.

    At that point, you'll be more likely to have something that works. It's not a guarantee, but it's more likely.

    A few things that you'll want to look at next time around:

    1) Put your phone number on the top right or somewhere above the fold. E-commerce sites with a published phone number that is easily accessible tend to convert more.

    2) Use the content as entry points to the store, but not in such a way as to block it. Your store should be the focal point and use things such as blog posts to lead users there.

    3) Don't just write fluff blog posts. Write useful, helpful, white label, original stuff. Take your Wii fit sports bundle. Write about how to use it so that kids can stay healthy.

    4) On the Wii subject, look for kids' games that people may not consider. For example, I bought Ready, Set, Grover! for my 2-year-old on eBay and she loves it. I also get the benefits of knowing we're both getting exercise (since I, like most fathers with a screw loose, do the exercises along with her) and of finding it easier to put her to bed at night. But I had to hunt for three hours for the game before I found it.

    5) Look at dropping osCommerce. Among other things, it puts session hashes in URLs which can create both SEO and user issues (SEO since the URLs aren't consistent although this can be overcome, and user issues because the session hashes may get bookmarked and then expire).

    Hopefully that gives you some more perspective.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5
    Member #
    39074
    Thank you, I have no idea what to do here, If the shopping cart was not compatible with the theme why did they do the work? Is there a solution you could suggest?

    Thank you
    Denise



    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Hi Denise,

    I'm going to tell you why you're disappointed with your home page and why you're frustrated, but when you read what I'm about to say you're probably going to smack yourself in the head because it's that simple. It's highly functional, but it's simple.

    To give you an analogy, you have a brick and mortar store. You want people to come in through the front door. So you hire a company to improve your store, make it look clean, make it function, get people in and buying and out as fast as possible, and enjoy their shopping experience. The company decides that what you need is signage. Lots and lots of storefront signage. Signage that clogs up the windows, blocks the front door, doesn't really tell people what you offer and guide them to buying it, and makes it harder for people to buy.

    For good measure, they took your normal checkout process and decided to go ahead and add a second one in for the same products.

    youth_equipment | Fitness and KidsFitness and Kids

    Of course, that's when you can even order the product.

    Wii Fit Sports Bundle (Pro Edition) | Fitness and KidsFitness and Kids

    Now, the more technical explanation is that the clowns who did this took your store, decided to do what most clueless web designers and developers do, and stick W*rdPr*ss over the top of it because W*rdPr*ss solves all ills, regardless of circumstance. You need W*rdPr*ss like you need me to come over to wherever you live with a fully charged Makita cordless and drill a hole in your head. It doesn't suit your site at all. It's also why your cart isn't compatible with the "theme" they used (this is the theme, in case they didn't tell you that before). WP themes aren't built to be compatible with osCommerce and vice versa. They're two completely different platforms, and most developers with even half of a brain would realize that. Of course, most developers with half a brain wouldn't have stuck in an "affordable web design" "SEO backlink" onto your site, which does you absolutely no good whatsoever and can only do you harm. There are designers and developers who don't engage in this scumbag practice, but they're not the majority, unfortunately.

    Now...this isn't totally on the company. About 95% of it is, but a little of this is your responsibility as well, and here's why. You say you don't know what you want or you would have designed it yourself. That's not impossible for a designer or a developer to work with, but it is extremely difficult. Even if you don't fully know what it is that you want, you should at least have some idea and you should be able to form a collaborative relationship with whomever you choose to work with in the future (and I'm guessing it's not going to be these guys). You come with your ideas, and a smart developer / designer will be able to add his / her own and more importantly should be able to come up with a logical, consistent cart process that gets people through it as quickly as is reasonably possible. Remember: you know the fitness end of it and how the customers think. You'll have knowledge and things of value to contribute, even if you don't necessarily understand the tech aspects.

    At that point, you'll be more likely to have something that works. It's not a guarantee, but it's more likely.

    A few things that you'll want to look at next time around:

    1) Put your phone number on the top right or somewhere above the fold. E-commerce sites with a published phone number that is easily accessible tend to convert more.

    2) Use the content as entry points to the store, but not in such a way as to block it. Your store should be the focal point and use things such as blog posts to lead users there.

    3) Don't just write fluff blog posts. Write useful, helpful, white label, original stuff. Take your Wii fit sports bundle. Write about how to use it so that kids can stay healthy.

    4) On the Wii subject, look for kids' games that people may not consider. For example, I bought Ready, Set, Grover! for my 2-year-old on eBay and she loves it. I also get the benefits of knowing we're both getting exercise (since I, like most fathers with a screw loose, do the exercises along with her) and of finding it easier to put her to bed at night. But I had to hunt for three hours for the game before I found it.

    5) Look at dropping osCommerce. Among other things, it puts session hashes in URLs which can create both SEO and user issues (SEO since the URLs aren't consistent although this can be overcome, and user issues because the session hashes may get bookmarked and then expire).

    Hopefully that gives you some more perspective.
    Last edited by dnero; Apr 30th, 2014 at 11:08 AM.

  5. #4
    Senior Member Ronald Roe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma City
    Posts
    3,141
    Member #
    27197
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dnero View Post
    ...If the shopping cart was not compatible with the theme why did they do the work...
    Because you gave them money to.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

  6. #5
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,483
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Ron's right, Denise. If you pay whores to do something they can't do, they'll still take your money and claim they did it anyway. That's the nature of whores. Unfortunately, that's the nature of web design, development, and marketing in general. Most of us are prostitutes of the first order, and most of us lack the ability to understand that of our industry since most are either starving artists or vested-interest revenue-driven idiots who believe the sale is the important part and not what happens to fulfill it. Ron isn't, I'm not, and a few others in here aren't. Most are. It's shark-infested waters and you need to be aware of that.

    Now, what I would suggest for a solution wouldn't be what everyone else would but it's the most likely to be correct. You have an absolute mess on your hands. This is the kind of mess that is probably going to cost you more to clean up than it would to rebuild from the ground up, meaning that you'd want to have your site rebuilt from scratch from the code point of view. And as you can imagine, that's going to cost some money.

    That doesn't necessarily mean that it has to cost you some money, however. If you paid for this with your credit card or through PayPal, you can file a dispute claiming that the services ordered weren't the ones delivered. This is the same sort of dispute you'd file if you say ordered something online and it wasn't shipped to your residence i.e. a refund claim. At this point, burden of proof lies on the merchant (in this case, the designer / developer) to prove that they did what they said they were going to do. This is not a process that is guaranteed to get you your money back, but it is one that might. However, you can't come to the bank or PayPal and say "they were supposed to give me what I want even though I'm not really sure what it is that I want"...that'll get rejected. You have to approach them and say "they promised me X, Y, and Z (review your contract) and did not execute these promises in a timely fashion. In other words, you need to stick with facts, not interpretation and expectation.

    If you can get a refund for the services ordered, then use that refund toward getting your site built. You may not get the whole thing covered, but if you do this logically and properly, you should be able to get what you want done.
    Last edited by TheGAME1264; May 01st, 2014 at 11:06 AM.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  7. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5
    Member #
    39074
    I have a dispute in with pay pal but they said they do not cover refunds on services.
    Thanks for all your help.


    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264 View Post
    Ron's right, Denise. If you pay whores to do something they can't do, they'll still take your money and claim they did it anyway. That's the nature of whores. Unfortunately, that's the nature of web design, development, and marketing in general. Most of us are prostitutes of the first order, and most of us lack the ability to understand that of our industry since most are either starving artists or vested-interest revenue-driven idiots who believe the sale is the important part and not what happens to fulfill it. Ron isn't, I'm not, and a few others in here aren't. Most are. It's shark-infested waters and you need to be aware of that.

    Now, what I would suggest for a solution wouldn't be what everyone else would but it's the most likely to be correct. You have an absolute mess on your hands. This is the kind of mess that is probably going to cost you more to clean up than it would to rebuild from the ground up, meaning that you'd want to have your site rebuilt from scratch from the code point of view. And as you can imagine, that's going to cost some money.

    That doesn't necessarily mean that it has to cost you some money, however. If you paid for this with your credit card or through PayPal, you can file a dispute claiming that the services ordered weren't the ones delivered. This is the same sort of dispute you'd file if you say ordered something online and it wasn't shipped to your residence i.e. a refund claim. At this point, burden of proof lies on the merchant (in this case, the designer / developer) to prove that they did what they said they were going to do. This is not a process that is guaranteed to get you your money back, but it is one that might. However, you can't come to the bank or PayPal and say "they were supposed to give me what I want even though I'm not really sure what it is that I want"...that'll get rejected. You have to approach them and say "they promised me X, Y, and Z (review your contract) and did not execute these promises in a timely fashion. In other words, you need to stick with facts, not interpretation and expectation.

    If you can get a refund for the services ordered, then use that refund toward getting your site built. You may not get the whole thing covered, but if you do this logically and properly, you should be able to get what you want done.

  8. #7
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,483
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Did you pay through PayPal with a credit card?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  9. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5
    Member #
    39074
    I paid with paypal

  10. #9
    Unpaid WDF Intern TheGAME1264's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Not from USA
    Posts
    14,483
    Member #
    425
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, assuming you mean you paid with a bank account, you're either going to have to file a lawsuit (probably not worth it) or you're out the money.

    Either way, the damage done to that site is going to be very difficult and costly to undo. Like I said, this is where a scratch rebuild is in order.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

    If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

    My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5
    Member #
    39074
    I am going to try to find someone to just change the theme that will work with my os commerce cart, then eventually I would like to switch to the woo commerce cart.
    Thank you

    Denise


Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:32 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
vBulletin Skin By: PurevB.com